Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bricking

Posted by thunder6969 
Bricking
November 19, 2009 11:02PM
I've benn seeing alot of this term used and understand what it means if i just use it or games and dvd utility do i have to worry about bricking?
Re: Bricking
November 19, 2009 11:22PM
"or games" <-- ???
November 19, 2009 11:26PM
"if i use it" - you dont "use" bricking. You try not to brick. A brick is when your wii has all the functionality of a brick (i.e. what you build with) i.e. it does not work at all. I fail to understand your query.
November 20, 2009 12:11AM
A brick is not a dvd or game or program. A brick is when the wii loses operability an is unable to boot the system menu. You try not to brick your wii. A wii gets bricked in many ways like when you use a downgrader and lose power. Or if you are patching the system menu and lose power. Summary: a wii brick is no fun.

EDIT2: And yes, you do have to worry about bricking. Unless you have priiloader and bootmii IOS installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 12:27AM by Marth21.
November 20, 2009 12:25AM
Certain bricks still affect BootMii/boot2 users. If the power goes off and you are installing an update from a newly-released Wii game (NSMB is a good example) or are installing System Menu 4.2, your Wii could brick, as it overwrites the area where BootMii is stored as part of the update. Plus, the bricking event occurred at a lower level, so SaveMii will not work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 12:25AM by WikiFSX.
November 20, 2009 12:49AM
sorry was thinking quicker than i could type i meant if i only use homebrew for games and dvd players and i know bricking is nothing you want to do but happens i just want to prevent it from happening
November 20, 2009 01:15AM
1. Dont download anything during a thunderstorm
2. Play games from your own region.
3. Never use ANY of waninkoko's tools

Follow these steps and you should be fine. But download bootmii just as a precaution.
November 20, 2009 02:03AM
As long as you don't try to install an out-of-region System Menu, your Wii won't brick from playing out-of-region games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 02:04AM by WikiFSX.
November 20, 2009 03:00AM
WikiFSX
As long as you don't try to install an out-of-region System Menu, your Wii won't brick from playing out-of-region games.
That is the reason why you play your own region.
November 20, 2009 03:09AM
Marth21
WikiFSX
That is the reason why you play your own region.
Eh, not really. There isn't any reason why not to play out of your region.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 03:09AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 20, 2009 03:35AM
Gecko OS, the only tool that isn't a modchip that lets you do that, will never install System Menus.
November 20, 2009 01:27PM
Well there we have it. It is completely safe to play ANY region if you have gecko.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 06:09PM by Marth21.
November 20, 2009 01:58PM
Marth21
Well there we have it. It is completely safe to play any region if you have gecko.

Bricks arise when you try to use an out-of-region System Menu. As Gecko does not let you install any System Menu whatsoever, you cannot be bricked when playing out-of-region games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 01:59PM by WikiFSX.
November 20, 2009 07:22PM
Unless you use Gecko OS hooks, StartPatch, banana patcher or preloader/priiloader to patch system menu to load out-of-region games, in which case you can be bricked by playing out of region games. but anyway, just dont install updates from out-of-region games. Load them in Gecko OS ad you'll be perfectly safe.
November 22, 2009 02:30AM
ok thanks everyone for the info so as long as only use the mplayer when it updates and games from homebrew channel i'll be ok
November 24, 2009 04:59PM
Marth21
EDIT2: And yes, you do have to worry about bricking. Unless you have priiloader and bootmii IOS installed.
what kind of shit edit was that
i can brick your wii in no time if you have priiloader

priiloadfer ISNT BOOTMII AS BOOT2 AND DONT FORGET THAT PRIILOADER DOESNT STOP STUPIDITY
November 24, 2009 09:02PM
Marth21
1. Dont download anything during a thunderstorm
2. Play games from your own region.
3. Never use ANY of waninkoko's tools

Follow these steps and you should be fine. But download bootmii just as a precaution.

What about his save extractor? is that alright?
EDIT: waninkoko's save extractor is what I mean (pretty obvious though)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 09:11PM by Crisco.
November 24, 2009 09:07PM
dacotaco
Marth21
what kind of shit edit was that
i can brick your wii in no time if you have priiloader

priiloadfer ISNT BOOTMII AS BOOT2 AND DONT FORGET THAT PRIILOADER DOESNT STOP STUPIDITY

If you have the latest priiloader, you can load Bootmii IOS on a bricked wii and restore a NAND dump (if you have a GC controller). Which means if you have priiloader and Bootmii IOS, it can subsitute for Bootmii boot2. Boot2 is still better, but priiloader & IOS will work.
November 24, 2009 09:14PM
no priiloader & bootmii IOS will NOT work as a substitute. With boot2 BootMii, you can delete System Menu and recover. With priiloader you cant, because that would also delete priiloader. Get your facts straight.

And to OP: Yeah, savegame extractor is fine. General rule = if its on the WiiBrew wiki, it should be fine if used correctly.
November 24, 2009 09:19PM
Thankyou Sifjar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login