Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Playing a DVD

Posted by Liight 
Playing a DVD
December 16, 2009 12:32PM
So I installed HBC for the first time a couple days ago. I only want it so I can play DVDs. I put all the stuff on my SD card, put it into the Wii and installed HBC and DVDx. All that worked fine. I installed MPlayer CE .76, it started up once, but seemed to crash straight away. Every time from then on, it never made it past the black screen with green loading text.

I also installed MPlayer-Wii, MPlayer, and GeeXboX. They could play the video files I have on the SD card, but not DVD's.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? The Wii is about a year or so old... I'm not too sure, perhaps more. If you need more information just ask.

Edit: Oh, my Wii is v 4.2E, I forgot to say so earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 12:37PM by Liight.
Re: Playing a DVD
December 16, 2009 01:15PM
What kind of SD card are you using?
December 16, 2009 01:29PM
Toshiba 1GB SD Memory Card. I figure it's not the USB that's messing up 'cause HBC works fine, same with playing video files directly off of it through MPlayer.
December 16, 2009 04:57PM
Latest version of DVDX and MPlayer CE?
December 16, 2009 05:15PM
Yep. MPlayer CE 0.76, and I installed DVDX through HackMii Installer v0.6. Same with HBC.
December 17, 2009 03:29AM
Perhaps a re-download of mplayer CE? Maybe a reformat of your SD card.
December 17, 2009 04:51AM
Liight
but not DVD's.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

I am sure you are aware that it can't read DVD +R disks. If you were not aware, make sure you test with -R.
December 17, 2009 09:45AM
Yep. DVD-R discs are what I've been testing with. Also proper DVDs, from the store. Though I'm not sure what format they're in.
December 17, 2009 02:04PM
Purchased DVD should work.
December 18, 2009 09:47AM
I still can't get past the black loading screen with green text that MPlayer CE has.

Does anyone know what might be happening to it?

MPlayer couldn't play a store bought DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 02:08PM by Liight.
December 19, 2009 08:19AM
TopGun96
Perhaps a re-download of mplayer CE? Maybe a reformat of your SD card.

I tried that when I first read your post TopGun96, but forgot to reply to it. >_>

Sadly, the problem persists. Sorry about the double post.

I read somewhere that newer Wii's can't play DVDs? Something about the disc drive is different. Is there any way I could test if my Wii has the newer disc drive? I tried Google, but wasn't overly sure what to search for.

Edit: Perhaps it would be better to ask for help regarding MPlayer, instead of MPlayer CE... I can start up MPlayer fine. It has a menu with;

Pause
Chapter ...
DVD-Video ...
Open ...
Preferences ...
Properties ...
Quit

First two do nothing. DVD-Video opens up another menu with

Play DVD
Play Title #1 --- through to
Play Title #5
Play DVD (livdvdnav)

Regardless of which one I click, it always makes the same clicking/humming/bip sounds for a couple of seconds, then nothing. Aside from the HOME button (which quits back to the HBC app select menu) everything is either disabled of frozen.

Any clues? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 09:10AM by Liight.
December 19, 2009 08:40PM
Yes newer DVD drives do not work with DVDx. You might have one depending on how old your wii is. In that case there is nothing you can do. Sorry.
December 20, 2009 12:21AM
Try to install MPlayer CE 0.75, version 0.76 is known for not working in some systems!
December 20, 2009 11:04AM
I have the same problems as Liight. MPlayer CE 0.76 wouldn't get past loading screen and now 0.75 loads but from the menu described in his last post I can't get anywhere either. My menu version is 3.1E and my wii is getting on for 2 years old. Is there any way of checking if this is a dvd drive that just won't work? Have been testing with purchased dvds.
December 20, 2009 01:31PM
your dvd drive WILL work. the new ones only appeared in last couple of months. anyway, do you have DVDx installed? If so, is it the latest version? If it is, thats why it isnt working. mPlayer CE 0.75 doesn't work with the newest one. Get the old DVDx installer from the WiiBrew wiki and run it to install an old version of DVDx which will let it work.
December 22, 2009 05:08AM
If I were to install an older version of DVDx, wouldn't it fail? Because I have my Wii is running v4.2E, I mean.

Also, I read somewhere (I think someone's post in this forum) saying that MPlayer CE 0.75 couldn't play DVDs. Did I imagine that, or misread it or something?

(The post said v0.75 could still read DVDs, but only play AVI, MP4, MKV and so on formatted videos, not DVD movies)
December 22, 2009 04:22PM
i was talking to SolomonWilde
December 22, 2009 07:24PM
You sound hostile SifJar. I've done something wrong?
December 22, 2009 07:44PM
No, I just felt I should point out that my post was directed at SolomonWilde, not you, as you replied as if I was talking to you. I apologize if I appeared hostile.

MPlayer CE 0.75 can play DVDs absolutely fine. However, it requires DVDx v1 (i.e. title ID DVDX) to work, it will not work with v2 (i.e. title ID DISC). Therefore, it will not work on 4.2. Nor will a DVDx Installer. MPlyaer CE has always been able to play DVDs afaik. Certainly for a long time if not always.
December 22, 2009 11:59PM
Thanks for the reply SifJar - I'd installed DVDx2 along with the homebrew channel, so maybe you were right. However I'm now playing DVDs after installing IOS202 following these instructions: [www.tehskeen.com] - worth reading Reflection Rip's contribution down the page. Do you understand why this has worked? In any case I'm thinking this might work for Liight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login