Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking screenshots without USB Gecko?

Posted by Koohiisan 
Taking screenshots without USB Gecko?
December 17, 2009 09:35PM
I have HBC loaded, and selectively upgraded to 4.1. I would love to be able to capture screenshots, but all of my research points to needing a ~$60 USB Gecko device. I don't want to do 99% of the stuff that the Gecko will let me do...I just want to take screenshots! Is there an alternate homebrew program that will let me do this without buying a USB Gecko?

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 09:36PM by Arikado.
Re: Taking screenshots without USB Gecko?
December 17, 2009 09:37PM
You should invest in a capture card. That way, you can take screen shots of anything displayed on your television screen.
December 17, 2009 09:50PM
Arikado
You should invest in a capture card. That way, you can take screen shots of anything displayed on your television screen.

and also videos.
December 17, 2009 11:09PM
Yeah, I know...I have a capture card I can put in a PC already...but I was hoping there was some background process that I could get running that would let me just do some simple keystroke or whatever and nab a pic at any time...without using a PC.

So...I guess I need to weigh the cost benefits of putting together a PC or buying a USB Gecko.

Thanks for the input!!
December 18, 2009 12:59AM
Yeah the best way to go is a capture card. and I don't think it's possible to run that as a background process,
December 18, 2009 03:16PM
Hopefully this is not too OT, but does anyone who uses a capture card know if I can split the component video signal so that it runs from the Wii to both my HDTV and my capture card *without* losing much quality or causing problems? I know I can split it, but I am curious how those of you with capture cards use them. Do you just hook up to the PC only when you want to capture something specific?

TIA.
December 18, 2009 07:00PM
If you have a way of getting video on your tv from your pc... then it's as easy as that. Hook Wii into PC and hook PC into TV and there you go. That's how I made a lot of my Halo 2 videos back in those days.
December 19, 2009 12:28AM
If you get simple av splitters with 1 female 2 male ends then you don't lose much quality. thats what I do for my videos and I'd say they are pretty good quality considering my machine is 5 years old.
December 19, 2009 12:51AM
Crisco
Yeah the best way to go is a capture card. and I don't think it's possible to run that as a background process,

At least, nobody would want to invest the time and energy to make it possible.
December 19, 2009 12:55AM
Yeah, and it would brobably slow down the wii anyways.

EDIT: found why this idea of a background process will never happen [hackmii.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 05:26AM by Crisco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login