Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brand new to wii and homebrew

Posted by novocon 
Brand new to wii and homebrew
December 27, 2009 12:28AM
I am brand spanking new to wii and homebrew (only had the Wii for my son for 2 days now) but was looking for a way to get rid of the dvd player and use the Wii. Was told by the idiots at wallyworld that the wii did play dvd's only to find out it doesnt!

I have seen the pay to play homebrew sites and luckily found this community before I wasted good hard money.

What is the best way to watch dvd on the wii.

It is version 4.0 and not connected to the internet (don't even know how to do that yet!)

If you don't mind, could you steer me to the right versions of homebrew etc, that we will need to begin our adventure?

Thanks for your time in advance!

novocon
Re: Brand new to wii and homebrew
December 27, 2009 12:56AM
Step One. Install the Homebrew Channel and DVDX with the HackMii installer as directed at this page: [www.wiibrew.org] This violates your warranty terms, which only apply for a year anyway.
Step Two. Get MPlayer CE 0.76, available at the WiiBrew wiki.
Step Three. Do the obvious steps. Do not pick "Play DVD (libdvdnav)", it doesn't work.
Step Four. Come back if anything breaks.

A note: This may not work on your Wii (some newer Wiis have DVD drives that cannot read anything besides Wii discs and GameCube discs even with DVDX), purchasing a replacement third-party drive may or may not help.
December 27, 2009 01:27AM
Thank you very much. I do appreciate it!
December 28, 2009 02:57PM
Ok,

Seems that we have a newer Wii that won't play DVD's. Mplayer just says that it is loading DVD, then nothing happens. I had to load Mplayer v75 to get it working. V76 just froze on installation and I dont know enough yet to mess with cIOS.

Any ideas or am i just dead in the water right now?
December 28, 2009 03:02PM
There is not much else you can do if you have installed DVDX.
December 28, 2009 03:03PM
novocon
I had to load Mplayer v75 to get it working.
Obviously that means you don't have a newer DVD drive if you can play DVDs ;-)
December 28, 2009 03:05PM
Sorry,

Maybe I misspoke:

I never got a DVD to play. I had to load v75 to get Mplayer working. Bad choice of wording.
December 28, 2009 11:55PM
If you installed DVDx with the Hackmii Installer version 0.5 or newer, MPlayer CE version .75 and older will not recognize it. If you use an old version of MPlayer CE, you must install the USB 2.0 cIOS or the old DVDx to play DVDs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login