Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Detail of NAND and how to back up

Posted by JustaShmoe 
Detail of NAND and how to back up
January 15, 2010 02:32PM
I am hoping to get this wrapped up today. Again, a bit nervous to actually delete stuff I think I should back up first. I have read and read about NAND and bootmii but now have the confusion of what to do with it. Is NAND actually on my wii system or is that something I have to add. And I assume that I will back up onto an sd card is it ok to use the same sd card that i have homebrew on? i don't know if this makes sense but if when i turn on my wii without the sd card i go right to the wii menu and if i turn on the wii with the sd card it goes directly to the bootmii menu does that mean that after i have updated through the disc channel all i have to do is turn it off and restart it with the sd card inserted and i will have bootmii again?
Re: Detail of NAND and how to back up
January 15, 2010 03:59PM
NAND is the internal memory of the Wii, where stuff like Channels, System Menu and game saves are stored. A NAND dump is a full backup of everything stored on the NAND.

You can backup your NAND to the same SD card as you use for homebrew, but I would advise you to copy it off the SD card to a computer for safe keeping as it is quite important to keep it safe. FYI, it takes up about 512MB.

And you seem a little confused about the last bit of your post. BootMii is not exclusively on the SD card. It installs a bit of custom code to the NAND, in the boot process (software that runs when Wii is turned on), which then checks the SD card for the rest of BootMii, and if it's there, boots it, if not, boots System Menu as normal. If boot2 is updated, as with the latest update, the code installed on NAND is removed, so BootMii is gone, and you have to reinstall it with HackMii Installer again. But Nintendo cannot stop BootMii with an update provided you have an old enough Wii to install it as boot2, because it will always be possible to reinstall it after the update.
January 15, 2010 04:43PM
i actually think i get it. i currently have bootmii as boot2. so i do the update to the sd card, copy the sd card to my laptop. do an update of the disc channel. then reinstall hackmii which will re-inable my bootmii or give me the option of reinstalling bootmii.

1. if i was able to do bootmii as boot2 before the update then i shouldnt have trouble doing it again after the update right?
2. how exactly do i do a nand dump?
January 15, 2010 05:07PM
JustaShmoe
do an update of the disc channel
Not the disk channel, the entire system.

JustaShmoe
1. if i was able to do bootmii as boot2 before the update then i shouldnt have trouble doing it again after the update right?
Correct.

JustaShmoe
2. how exactly do i do a nand dump?
When you're in the bootmii menu, press the power button until you've selected the little gears. Press reset over the gears, and a new screen will appear. You should see a picture of a green arrow pointing from your SD card to your wii. Press reset over that, and then just follow the on-screen instructions until the backup process is complete. Remember to make sure that you have at least 512mb.
January 15, 2010 05:11PM
ok here goes. and again thanks a bunch.

the nand dump seems to have went successful. i copied it (actually i copied the whole sd card) onto my computer.

i referred to it as disc channel update because it was the disc channel tv screen on the wii menu that was spinning and begging to be clicked.

? even though my wii settings indicate that i am at 4.2u, when i put the new sup. mario. disc in it gives me the update indicator. does it matter if i have the sd card in the wii when i do that particular update process?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 06:15PM by JustaShmoe.
January 15, 2010 08:31PM
Up and running!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough.
(by the way, this he is a she). who said mom can't hack? :o)
my kids are gonna flip out
Thanks again.
January 16, 2010 12:46AM
Funny thing is, alot of us are probably the same age as your kids :)
January 16, 2010 03:40AM
not all of us!

well done JustaShmoe!
January 16, 2010 03:49AM
I'm just saying alot. But yeah that's awesome my mom would never do anything like that.
January 16, 2010 04:00AM
JustaShmoe
(by the way, this he is a she). who said mom can't hack? :o)
My mom can't. XD
JustaShmoe
Thanks again.
I'm glad I could help out. Feel free to ask more questions if you need to. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login