Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii ponderings

Posted by WeeblBull 
Bootmii ponderings
January 20, 2010 12:41AM
Hi everyone,

Apologies if these questions have already been answered - I've been looking through these forums and elsewhere and have some things I'd like answering. I've installed the Homebrew Channel and DVDx as per your guide, but stopped short of installing Bootmii. I have an earlier Wii so I can install this to Boot2 if I want, but I don't know if it is worth me doing this. Once Bootmii is installed there's no way of reverting it back to factory defaults which concerns me (perhaps it shouldn't).

I mainly want to run emulators on the Wii but am also interested in writing games for it using devkitPro. I'm not interested in backing up discs (though using them with Dolphin is tempting!) so I don't really want to touch the IOS, as I gather that is the main cause of bricks. My questions are:

1. Are there any other causes of bricks other than tampering with the IOS such as firmware updates from Nintendo? If not, I guess there's no reason to back up the NAND?
2. Do you require different IOS's to get certain functions working when writing a game, for example? So, if I need WiFi and DVD access for example, can I do this without replacing the IOS?

Perhaps I'm being too cautious - I only installed CFW on my PSP when I got a Pandora because of the risk of bricking it!

Thanks.
Re: Bootmii ponderings
January 20, 2010 12:46AM
If you have an old enough wii that it will allow you to install bootmii/boot2 then your warranty has already expired. I would suggest installing it as it allows quick access to the homebrew channel, much faster than going through the system menu. It also provides really awesome brick protection.

In response to your other questions, everything that can harm your system is marked with a banner warning about modifications to the NAND. If it doesn't have this then it is safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 12:48AM by Crisco.
January 20, 2010 01:50AM
Bootmii as boot2 is a LIFESAVER if you have a NAND dump backup and you are in a brick situation.

If your wii is old enough to have it as stated above your warranty is expired so I suggest doing it.

It will be what saves your Wii if you ever brick it.

I seriously cannot overstate the importance of having bootmii as boot2 with a NAND dump backup if your lucky enough to have a Wii capable of doing it.

Some people would give body parts to have a Wii with boot2 enabled.

I would really do it if I were you but that is just IMHO, so take it for what it is worth.

elmoreas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 02:42AM by elmoreas.
January 20, 2010 02:07AM
no

If all you are doing is legal homebrew and making your own stuff, i wouldn't worry about installing it.

unless you want the feature of booting straight to the hbc, i wouldn't bother.

I know all the other posts here say do it, but like you said, if you are just doing emulators and legal homebrew, bricking isn't worth worrying about.
January 20, 2010 02:38AM
You are right in that what he is doing is unlikely to create a brick, I just go under the motto of better safe than sorry. That is why I reccomended it so highly. BUT as I said it is just my opinion so it is only worth what you want it to be worth. I personally would play it safe and do everything I could to protect my Wii so as to avoid something down the road. You just never know what can happen. Its not the stuff that he plans to do that worries me but the things that happen that he hasn't planned for that can sometimes happen, life is unpredictable you know. I don't mean to step on anyones toes and go against what someone else is saying to do, it is just what I would do if I were in that situation. That is all I can say. Sorry we cannot give you an unified answer on this. I am sure you would have preferred a consensus and a straight answer but some things just come down to personal prefrence and opinion. Talk to you all later.

Elmoreas
January 20, 2010 05:07PM
Thanks for all your feedback - I've decided that I'll install BootMii to Boot2 and create a backup (once I buy a big enough SD card).

I've read since someone saying it is possible to remove BootMii and roll back to factory defaults, but I'm guessing that they mean the IOS install method and not the Boot2 method.

BTW, I found this really helpful (in general) as it covers some things in more detail than I've read elsewhere.
January 20, 2010 10:25PM
BootMii boot2 can be removed the same as IOS
January 21, 2010 05:45PM
Hello everyone

I have a question which is similar so I post it here, hopefully it doesn't bother anyone. I have a Wii probably capable of installing bootmii as boot2, but after reading about only installing beta software as an advanced user I thought I would wait for a final version ( I don't dare update my Wii etc. since), now there are some games I would like to play again so I was wondering if there is any info at all when it will become 'final', or should I just install the beta4? I don't like flashing my nand (like the above user) so I really only want to take the risk once, thats also why I wait.

Also thanks to the team for the great software you make and anybody who has any advice / news in advance!
January 21, 2010 07:28PM
Go ahead and install Bootmii as boot2; the risk in installing the existing versions extremely small. In fact, I am not aware of any wiis that have been bricked by Bootmii.
January 21, 2010 08:14PM
Bootmii/boot2 CAN be uninstalled, there just isn't point in doing it after it has been installed.
January 21, 2010 09:39PM
AFAIK the Final version is either dead or a long ways off, but the Beta4 is so incredibly stable and reliable that I too have not heard of any person having trouble with it. I have it on all 3 of my Wii's over time and now and had no issues with any of them. It is a good and IMHO safe app. I think in this case you are new and do not realize that though you are worrying about a just issue, it doesn't apply in this particular case. Quite the opposite in fact, if you can install it as Boot2, then this is what will save your Wii if you do have an issue down the road, FYI. Best of luck to you.

Elmoreas
January 21, 2010 11:50PM
BootMii is a beta in the same sense that Gmail was a beta for 5 years. It may never leave beta, but is perfectly stable.
January 22, 2010 09:46AM
Ok thanks for the Info everyone, I'll install it than update my Homebrew Channel:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 09:46AM by Beisat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login