Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB External Hard Dive Support

Posted by fortius54 
USB External Hard Dive Support
January 21, 2010 11:02PM
I want to state upfront that I am in no way ever in support of people pirateing games. I only ask this question because of the limited storage issues that the Wii has. Is it possible to get an external hadr drive to work with the Wii. I am assuming you would need some sort of application for this.
Re: USB External Hard Dive Support
January 21, 2010 11:29PM
What do you want an external hard drive for? If you want it for loading homebrew apps, that works from HBC as it is, but not all apps have USB support, so they will load but may not work right. If you want it for media, MPlayer CE can already play movies and music off a USB drive. If you want it for VC/WW games, that's possible, but unsupported here as it is requires warez-y stuff to work. If you want it for "backups", that's not supported here.
January 22, 2010 12:45AM
I appreciate the reply. I currently have a 4GB SDHC card and wasn't sure that would hold all of the ROMs. I really do not see the need to backup the games, but the WiiWare would be nice because they can eat up the system storage pretty quick. I guess multiple SDHC or a 32GB would be enough room.
January 22, 2010 02:42AM
You would be surprised how much you can get on these sd cards. Mine is only a 1g and I have a few apps loaded, and about 15-20 roms and still have like 8?? hundred something mb left if that gives you an idea. The guy I got my wii from had a 2g sd card and had every NES rom he could get put on there plus some. But from what I have read, 2g is the most the wii will recognize, there was a trick to fake the wii to seeing a2g card on a 16 I think card, it was to fill it up close to around 2g left then the wii would see it as a 2g card, and I guess from there on when you needed more space delete something out and put back in its place the same amount. But why in the world would need that high of sd card to hold things when there is only a certain amount out there that can be used. But guess if you want big apps, or something the higher gig cards would come in handy.
January 22, 2010 03:36PM
SDHC cards work fine in the Wii, and that trick is no longer necessary. Anyway, I believe it only ever worked for 4GB non-SDHC cards. But homebrew has supported SDHC for much longer than the System Menu, and does so regardless of System Menu, so you can always use an SDHC card of any size with homebrew, without the need to fill it up to 2GB free.
January 22, 2010 06:14PM
Again, thank you for all of the support. I will just use the SDHC until it is full or just put the games on a DVD. Thanks again!
January 28, 2010 06:16AM
I read something about you can store/copy game in a usb hardrive and use it in the wii ? where can I find this info ? is homebrew apps set up to store in usb ? thanks
January 28, 2010 06:17AM
notvtonight
I read something about you can store/copy game in a usb hardrive and use it in the wii ? where can I find this info ? is homebrew apps set up to store in usb ? thanks
If you're talking about actuall Wii games from USB, we can't help you here as it's not allowed.
January 28, 2010 03:43PM
Hi to all
My usb drive ( 2GB) not detected, may be wrong formatted, What it should be?
Media file works from SD card.
Any help will be welcomed
Thanks
January 28, 2010 03:52PM
I have mine at fat32
January 28, 2010 11:11PM
FAT32 should work with just about everything.
February 18, 2010 06:06PM
SifJar
... MPlayer CE can already play movies and music off a USB drive...

theoretically is ANY usb mass storage device going to be compatible for this application? it would be nice to backup my DVDs onto a hard drive and still watch them on the tv before the kids destroy them with their grubby little hands.

edit:
wiibrew Homebrew Channel/Help
im just wondering because i am tired of replacing worn out sd cards (about to be on my 3rd - flash memory stinks) Toagac 16:50, 3] July 2009 (UTC)

As of the latest version, yes. (==
Mp3c 01:23, 8 October 2009 (UTC)

another reason for USB drives....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 06:14PM by crimsonghost.
February 18, 2010 08:00PM
Most USB drives should be compatible. To read USB drives at USB 2.0 speed, you need to install the USB 2.0 cIOS.
June 13, 2010 06:56PM
None of the wiibrew media apps will read my external usb drives. I think it's because the drives were formatted on my mac. I had a drive that was formatted on a dell and, more or less, worked perfectly with mPlayer CE. Then I got an Apple laptop, reformatted the drive (myPassport) and....nada. Suggestions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login