Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gamecube cheat codes

Posted by gamerjosh 
Gamecube cheat codes
January 25, 2010 11:31PM
I'm trying to get cheat codes working with gamecube games. I found the codes online, downloaded the txt file to the txtcodes directory on the root of my sd, renamed it with the correct game id code (315 - metroid prime 2) use the Code manager app to generate a gct file, set gecko os to check for cheats on the sd, started the game, and no cheats. Did I do it wrong? I am using a real copy of the game, not a backup or anything like that.
Re: Gamecube cheat codes
January 26, 2010 12:55AM
I don't recall Gecko OS supporting GameCube games.. You'd need an Action Replay disc and a GameCube.
January 26, 2010 02:25AM
Actually you don't have to use the Gamecube, you can buy this [us.codejunkies.com] and it allows you to play Gamecube games with cheats using a NEW Action Replay Disc on the Wii. It used to only work on the GC but now it supports the Wii. My cousin has it and I have used it at his house before and it works fine on the Wii so I know for sure it works on the Wii also. Hope this helps. Later.

Elmoreas
January 26, 2010 03:54AM
elmoreas
Actually you don't have to use the Gamecube, you can buy this [us.codejunkies.com] and it allows you to play Gamecube games with cheats using a NEW Action Replay Disc on the Wii. It used to only work on the GC but now it supports the Wii. My cousin has it and I have used it at his house before and it works fine on the Wii so I know for sure it works on the Wii also. Hope this helps. Later.

Elmoreas
I know of that but 1. I thought Action Replay was blocked with the 3.0 update (Maybe the new one works?) and 2. You can't add your own codes to it and you're stuck with the default list.
January 26, 2010 04:42AM
The new one does work, I tried it at my cousins house but you are right you cannot add new codes to it, but in all honesty gamecube is done and there are no new games so it should have all the codes on it for all the games that have them. It could be a better situation but at least he would have something on his Wii and not have to have a GC.

Elmoreas
January 26, 2010 04:52AM
Well I know that there are many more (unofficial to codejunkies) codes that are not on new action replay discs but I suppose it's not really necessary
January 26, 2010 08:35PM
elmoreas
The new one does work, I tried it at my cousins house but you are right you cannot add new codes to it, but in all honesty gamecube is done and there are no new games so it should have all the codes on it for all the games that have them. It could be a better situation but at least he would have something on his Wii and not have to have a GC.

Elmoreas

None of Datel's GC discs work above 3.0. And their only specific Wii disk (FreeLoader) doesn't work above 3.3. So in short, if you have an updated Wii, none of their disks will work. Your cousin must have an old System menu.
January 26, 2010 08:39PM
I have a GC and a Wii, it's just that the Wii is on the bigger nicer television. Oh well, I can live without cheat codes.
January 26, 2010 10:57PM
Apparently they have released a 2nd version of the Wii compatible disc just this past December of '09' (v1.2), that is supposed to work on Wiis up to v4.2 This is the one my cousin would have gotten, as he got it for Christmas. I ordered it too just last week and it is supposed to be here tomorrow according to the UPS tracking number, so once it is here I will test it and report back.

I know the freeloader won't work, it is advertised as limited to v3.3 but I am hoping they didn't mislead me with the cheat code part working on v4.2 as that is what I have. As for my cousin I have no clue what his system menu is, he is at work or I would call and ask him. Anyways I guess they have released 3 versions of this; 1.0 for GC only, 1.1 for GC and Wii 3.0/3.3, and 1.2 for GC and Wii 4.2/3.3 (Cheat Codes/Freeloader).

Or at least I hope that is right cause otherwise they very misleadingly lead me to believe it would work on v4.2 by stating that it will work on all Wii systems, even the most up to date systems (Which would be 4.2 since the post was dated Dec. 12th 2009). I guess I will find out tomorrow, if it doesn't work I guess I will be going to gamestop to see how much a used GC is, if its cheap I will get one if not then I will be filling out an RMA form.

Man I was looking forward to tomorrow, now I am concerned. :(

Elmoreas
January 26, 2010 11:37PM
Oh, just looked at the Codejunkies website (the shop site for Datel products) and saw the banner on the GC AR, GC Freeloader and GC SD Media Launcher pages saying they have been updated for compatibility with all Wiis. Didn't know that, that's pretty cool I guess. I wonder how they did it though, I thought newer MIOS blocked their stuff...
January 27, 2010 11:05PM
Whhheeeww It worked. You guys had me worried. I thought my wife was going to kill me for buying another thing for the Wii and this time it didn't even work. But low and behold the action replay cheat codes work on system menu v4.2 I have no way of testing Freeloader as I have no out of region GC games and don't plan to buy any either but I don't believe it will work as the instruction manual part for freeloader didn't say it would work on all Wiis like the action replay code part did. Just an FYI. If anyone wants to buy one of these make sure it is version v1.2 and or was made on or after Dec, of 2009 and it will work on v4.2 now. Talk to you all later. Have a good one.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 27, 2010 11:08PM
Freeloader I think should work, as it says on the Freeloader page on codejunkies that it does. Anyway, its part of AR in your case I think, so provided it can boot AR, all features will work regardless. Its the actual booting that could potentially cause issues.
January 28, 2010 12:02AM
Well it should work then cause the codes for Lego Star Wars II, Bionicle, F-Zero GX, Star Wars Rouge Leader, and TMNT all worked fine. I hope it doesn't cause any issues booting up on other games, but it hasn't so far "knock on wood" so all is good for now. Well talk to you all later.

Elmoreas
January 28, 2010 06:07PM
It shouldn't cause any issues, it doesn't (or at least, shouldn't) make any changes it to NAND. In fact, it can't as it is in GC mode.
January 28, 2010 08:33PM
Thats good to know, I was wondering what you meant by "Its the actual booting that could potentially cause issues." cause so far everything has worked as advertised? BTW I asked my neighbor, who is from India if he has any GC games from back home and he does, and he is going to let me borrow a couple and try them and see if freeloader works. I am going to read up on it first though to make sure it is safe, cause I don't want to brick my wii. If I determine it is safe I will test it and report back on freeloader's status. Talk to you all later.

Elmoreas
January 28, 2010 08:47PM
I just meant that the only thing that could have been an issue would have been if it had failed to boot. As long as it boots, everything else will work fine. You have no need to worry ;)
January 29, 2010 08:15AM
Good news, freeloader worked on all 3 games from India; So now Freeloader v1.2 is confirmed to work on US Wii Consoles running system menu v4.2 as well as Action Replay is confirmed to work on v4.2 too. Since this worked I am ordering the SD media card launcher to test and run GC HB on the Wii and see how that goes. I plan to test it on my second wii that has little DLC so if something goes wrong, not sure if it can though, I won't be out as much as if it were on my main Wii. Once it is here and I test it, I will report and let you all know how it goes. Glad I could be the bearer of good news for once. Talk to you all later.

Elmoreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login