Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

why did my wii get bricked

Posted by freegame36 
why did my wii get bricked
March 14, 2010 09:48PM
people on here are quick to criticize some folks while others can talk relentlessly about what ever they want. I was told last night to run DOP-MII instead of any region changer like the fix it forum said to do. i was told to run DOP-MII instead and was told it would not hurt my wii.....i blame noone but myself...however, i would like to know why this program put me in a full brick.....if all you want to do is is bust my balls about what i did wrong, please let another admin. answere the question......as always, this site is great and very helpful. just trying to make sense of why i was told to do something that would brick my wii....
Re: why did my wii get bricked
March 14, 2010 09:53PM
First off, what did you do?
March 14, 2010 09:57PM
if you would kindly read my last post....you will see everything we went through last nite...the post is titled "unable to connect to homebrew browser" please read it and see if you can help me out please
March 14, 2010 10:01PM
You got an error because your Wii doesn't have internet access, correct? Meaning the System Menu couldn't be installed?

DOP-Mii didn't brick your Wii. It didn't get far enough to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 10:01PM by WikiFSX.
March 14, 2010 10:08PM
it wa semi bricked until i ran DOP-MII...after it completed, it was in full brick...yes i have internet connection.....i ran theDOP-MII through sd card....its not bricked anymore...of coarse i had the boot2 backup so no harm done...one more question, what files do i look for on my sd card so i can back up my backup..... thanks.....and would this be on the root or apps folder?
March 14, 2010 10:24PM
Explain what state your Wii was in that you're calling it a "brick".

Also, again, explain exactly what happened step by step. Looks to me like you installed a system menu without installing the IOS it needs to run first.
March 14, 2010 10:34PM
Arikado
Explain what state your Wii was in that you're calling it a "brick".

Also, again, explain exactly what happened step by step. Looks to me like you installed a system menu without installing the IOS it needs to run first.
He didn't have an internet connection. He couldn't have installed the system menu.
March 14, 2010 10:43PM
heres what went down:

unable to connect to homebrew browser
March 14, 2010 04:18AM Registered: 16 days ago

after installing priiloader, i am unable to connect to homebrew browser...it says "unable to initialise network.......also, i just get a black screen when i try to get to wii settings to make sure my wifi is connected...everything else seems to be working.....any suggestions?...is this in the settings from priiloader?
Edit Reply Quote ReportWaxyPumpkin72 [ PM ]
Re: unable to connect to homebrew browser
March 14, 2010 04:26AM Moderator

I assume that you were connecting with the homebrew browser just fine before you installed priiloader?
Reply Quote Reportfreegame36 [ PM ]
March 14, 2010 04:37AM Registered: 16 days ago

yes....since it said ""unable to initialise network", i thought i would go to settings to see if wifi was turned on, well when i hit settings, i get a black screen and it freezes....everything else works great.....
March 14, 2010 04:42AM Moderator

I'm pretty sure not being able to access the settings is a sign of a semi-brick...I'm not really sure how to fix that.... :/
I have no clue if this will help, but you could try reinstalling the system menu with Dop-Mii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 04:44AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 14, 2010 04:50AM Registered: 16 days ago

i dont want any guesses but thank you for your help.....i have bootmi as boot2....can i run that to restore settings?
March 14, 2010 04:56AM Moderator

Yes, you can try restoring your NAND backup.

Quote:
freegame36
i dont want any guesses

There's no reason not to try re-installing the system menu. It won't harm your wii.
March 14, 2010 05:04AM Registered: 16 days ago

how to I try re-installing the system menu...i think thats the problem...please give me a guide here....or direct me to where i can get steps to take to do this....thanks
March 14, 2010 05:14AM Moderator

Download Dop-Mii, and put it in your apps folder to launch through the HBC. You want your SD card to be set up like this:

root:/apps/dop_mii/boot.dol, meta.xml, icon.png

Next, load the app through HBC. A screen will appear asking you "Which IOS would you like to use to install other IOSs?" Select IOS 36. Another screen will appear, where (IIRC), there will be a list. There will be an item in the list that says "System Menu." After you select that, install system menu 4.2. Wait for the installation to finish, and then restart your wii.
March 14, 2010 05:15AM Registered: 16 days ago

run AnyRegion Changer to install system menu for correct region - what does this actually mean?
March 14, 2010 05:25AM Moderator

Quote:
freegame36
run AnyRegion Changer to install system menu for correct region - what does this actually mean?

Why are you using AnyRegion Changer? Use Dop-Mii.

AnyRegion changer was an app that had the ability to change your region back and forth between the different regions, e.g. japanese, european, etc. I don't think it works quite the way it used to work, though. Nintendo messed with some things.

Just use Dop-Mii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:27AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 14, 2010 05:33AM Registered: 16 days ago

Dop-mii isnt working....heres what it says

which IOS would you like to use to install other IOSes?

IOS: 36 - If i choose this, i get Error! choose an IOS that accepts fake signing

Install IOS36 (v3351) w/fakeSign - if i choose this, i get ***Reloading IOS15(v257)***, Restoring IOS36 to v3351****
Apply ES_identify patch to IOS36
(A) yes (B) no

Scan the WII's internals (systemCheck)

exit

these are my only choices.....nothing like you put in your instructions......
March 14, 2010 05:37AM Moderator

Continue the process. Press (A) to apply ES_identify.
March 14, 2010 05:41AM Registered: 16 days ago

after i press (A) to apply ES_identify, my next choice is Apply NAND permission patch, i click (A) for that and next choice is " loading IOS36 v3351 into memory" i can choose load WAD from sd card, LOad WAD from USB storage, download from NUS, or cancel.....should i pickLoad WAD from SD card?
Edit Reply Quote Reportfreegame36 [ PM ]
March 14, 2010 05:44AM Registered: 16 days ago

after i load wad from sd card...it runs through a series of patches and checks....when that is done, it says installation complete....my next choice is ****Reloading IOS36 (v3351)*****

would you like to restore IOS15 to v523?
(A) yes (B) no

what do i do?
March 14, 2010 05:47AM Moderator

Yes, restore IOS15 to v523.

Thats odd that the installation completed when you loaded the WAD from the SD card....Do you have an IOS wad on your SD card?
March 14, 2010 05:53AM Registered: 16 days ago

i must have...thaT was my onlu obvious choice...but i still dont get to the part There will be an item in the list that says "System Menu."
March 14, 2010 05:58AM Registered: 16 days ago

ok...i'm there.....

heres what is says:

SELECT THE SYSTEM MENU TO DOP CURRENTLY INSTALLED
selection: System Menu 4.2 system menu 4.2
region: north america (U) North america (U)

selection details

IOS requires: IOS70 (v6687)
IOS installed: IOS70 (v6687)
IOS wad : IOS70-64-v6687.wad
System menu WAD : system menu-NUS-v481.wad
priiloader detected: yes

what now?
March 14, 2010 06:03AM Registered: 16 days ago

i already have the system menu 4.2 installed...i tried to reinstall it but get error because my wii cannot connect to internet....what should i do...this is pretty bad huh.....
March 14, 2010 10:49PM
then wii froze and i powered off, when i powered back on...nothing......
March 14, 2010 10:53PM
freegame36
then wii froze and i powered off, when i powered back on...nothing......
Then how were you able to access bootmii if you all you booted to was a black screen?
March 14, 2010 10:58PM
all it would do was give me the bootmi screen...when the 5 little dots went away, it was just a black screen and would freeze...i had to hold the power button on for 5 seconds or so to power off...then i would power back on and i had 5 seconds to make my move or another black screen and freeze.....
March 14, 2010 11:37PM
Wow, you definitely didn't need to ctrl-c, ctrl-v an entire topic there. If you can't tell me in your own words what happened, then that leads me to believe you dont even understand what you did. In that case, I really don't think I can help you lacking real information on what really happened, sorry.
March 15, 2010 02:15AM
What I gathered is that he tried the update, lost internet access during the update, and the Wii locked up. When he turned it back on, he had the brick.
March 15, 2010 02:24AM
this is coming from the man that tells people to read....I asked you guys to read the complete forum that i posted before responding,.....that way, there is no confusion to what i did or was told to do....never the less, the problem is fixed and DOP-MII caused the brick...i am 110% sure of that...i just need to know why it caused the brick so i can make sure not to do it again.....
March 15, 2010 03:12AM
The issue is that you never directly explain what happened to you in that topic.

If you had 4.2, doing a fakesign patch on IOS36 wouldn't cause a brick. Did you actually begin 4.2 installation or not?
March 16, 2010 03:03AM
WikiFSX
The issue is that you never directly explain what happened to you in that topic.
^^This.

The only way DOP-Mii would brick you would be if you physically unplugged your Wii while it was writing to your NAND. Not while downloading something, but while actually installing something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login