Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick question: Updating to 4.2 with already-updated Shop Channel

Posted by kozuki6 
Quick question: Updating to 4.2 with already-updated Shop Channel
March 20, 2010 12:23AM
Hi all,

Long-ish question with a one-line answer:

I plan to buy Red Steel 2 next week, and I suspect that it will have the 4.2 update that New Super Mario Bros. had.

My Wii is running 4.1e (I think - I'll amend this post if I'm wrong), but I updated the Shop Channel using WiiSCU so that I could keep using it. (I'm also running the latest version of the HBC, and I did have BootMii installed as boot2, but uninstalled it using the HackMii Installer as it didn't support my SD card.)

So, my question is, will it be fine to update my Wii to 4.2 using the update on the disc? Or, in the negative, will the update not detect that I've updated the Shop Channel through "unauthorised" means and changed/unchanged boot2?
Re: Quick question: Updating to 4.2 with already-updated Shop Channel
March 20, 2010 12:36AM
It is safe to update. Just make sure you don't cut off the power supply to the wii during the update. In other words: don't play jump-rope with the plug. :)

BTW, I highly suggest that if you have the ability to install bootmii as boot2, install it. If your SD card doesn't support it, then get one that does. Bootmii can be a very useful tool.
March 20, 2010 12:39AM
WaxyPumpkin72
BTW, I highly suggest that if you have the ability to install bootmii as boot2, install it. If your SD card doesn't support it, then get one that does. Bootmii can be a very useful tool.

This multiplied by 100
March 20, 2010 12:46AM
WaxyPumpkin72
It is safe to update. Just make sure you don't cut off the power supply to the wii during the update. In other words: don't play jump-rope with the plug. :)

Cool. Thanks! (And thank you also, cactusjack901.)

I know that bootmii is very useful, but I just don't have any need for it (aside from making a backup of the NAND - though with all the abuse my Wii has endured before I discovered the HBC, I think a corrupted NAND is one of the less likely things that'll brick it).

Feel free to close this topic, admins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 02:02AM by kozuki6.
March 20, 2010 12:48AM

Feel free to close this topic, admins.
Just because your question was answered doesn't mean the topic needs to be closed. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
March 20, 2010 07:21PM
kozuki6
I know that bootmii is very useful, but I just don't have any need for it (aside from making a backup of the NAND - though with all the abuse my Wii has endured before I discovered the HBC, I think a corrupted NAND is one of the less likely things that'll brick it).

Still, you should backup your NAND in case you ever do install something that bricks your Wii. Not that it really matters this time around as BootMii has to be reinstalled after the 4.2 update, so it would be impossible to restore your NAND if the update itself bricked your Wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login