Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pre-Pre/PriiLoader Installation Questions

Posted by EUPHORIUM 
Pre-Pre/PriiLoader Installation Questions
March 30, 2010 09:32PM
I hacked my Wii with the HackMii Installer a few days ago. I have Wii Menu ver. 3.4. I will have to check again and update this post if necessary.

My concern is that I read an article about the preloader here [wiibrew.org] stating that "IT IS _HIGHLY_ RECOMMENDED TO INSTALL PRELOADER ONLY ON A WII WITH UNMODIFIED IOSs!!"

Since my Wii is already modded. Am I unable to install the pre-loader?

The reason I want to install the pre-loader is because I have read that it is a good way to secure the Wii from becoming bricked. In the sense that if it does brick. It will be able to be fixed because the pre-loader will prevent the Wii from bricking.

I found this installer/removal tool for the pre-loader. Is this a safe tool to use? [webrewwii.blogspot.com]

On top of all that... There is another one called PriiLoader and this one seems to be in alpha still. The information I have found in reference to this flavor may have been old. So is this new alpha release a more stable release then the older PreLoader?

I looked around the forum and found minimal information about the pre-loader/priiloader and just want to know what I am getting into before I do anything that I will regret. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 09:35PM by EUPHORIUM.
Re: Pre-PreLoader Installation Questions
March 31, 2010 12:20AM
Only use information found on Wiibrew. System Menu 3.6 doesn't exist. Use Priiloader on an unmodified IOS like IOS36 (although you may have modded that, you can use DOP-Mii to undo that)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 02:38AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
March 31, 2010 02:02AM
What's an unmodified cIOS? I thought cIOS was another named for a modified IOS.
March 31, 2010 02:21AM
That was a mistake. He meant "unmodified IOS".
March 31, 2010 02:38AM
Fixed. ;)
March 31, 2010 07:03AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Fixed. ;)

Thank you =p
April 03, 2010 09:07PM
cactusjack901
Only use information found on Wiibrew. System Menu 3.6 doesn't exist. Use Priiloader on an unmodified IOS like IOS36 (although you may have modded that, you can use DOP-Mii to undo that)

You are correct. My system menu is 3.40. I fixed it in the original post. You say I should use priiloader instead of preloader. So there is a distinct difference between the two and I was correct in what I was assuming.

As far as IOS36 being modified. I do not know if it was modified. When I did the softmod with HackMii Installer it only referenced IOS249? Is there a way to tell if IOS36 has been modified?

*EDIT* I downloaded the priiloader app and read the readme. I have an excerpt from the readme that states.

Requirements:

You need the ios used to installed patched with ES_DIverify & trucha ( in most cases you ran the installer from
Homebrew channel so that should be IOS36). if using IOS249(in most cases this is CIOS) then dont worry about the
patches.

I don't know any thing about ES_DIverify & trucha. What I do know is that I used IOS249 to install HBC, because I could not install it as boot2. Atleast, that is what the HackMii installer said during the installation.

So does this mean I do not have to patch the IOS36?

*EDIT* The reason I ask is because I cannot find a hacks.ini for menu 3.4. It seems to start at 4.0. Do I need to update my system to get priiloader on my Wii?

I found the hack.ini info here [wiibrew.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 09:38PM by EUPHORIUM.
Re: Pre-Pre/PriiLoader Installation Questions
April 03, 2010 11:19PM
There are no hacks available for 3.4. If you want system menu hacks, you should update to 4.2 (you could manually install 3.2, 4.0, or 4.1, but this is a bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing as a mistake will result in a full brick). Also, Preloader does not normally work on 3.4 or 4.2, however, Priiloader will work normally on any system menu version. It also has more features and bug fixes, so you should install Priiloader.

After updating, run DOP-Mii and select the option to install IOS 36 with fakesigning. Apply all patches to it. After doing this, you can install Priiloader.

Keep in mind, Priiloader can only protect you from banner bricks. Any other brick will remove Priiloader (except semi bricks, which can be fixed without Priiloader). From a brick protection standpoint, Priiloader will only be useful if you install WADs or themes. However, it other features are still useful.
April 03, 2010 11:23PM
Beyond that, You did NOT use IOS 249 to install the Homebrew Channel, nor can the Homebrew Channel be installed as boot2. I suggest you go through the Wiibrew Wiki and read all you can before you go any further.
April 04, 2010 03:18AM
cactusjack901
Beyond that, You did NOT use IOS 249 to install the Homebrew Channel, nor can the Homebrew Channel be installed as boot2. I suggest you go through the Wiibrew Wiki and read all you can before you go any further.

I am only guessing as to what happened when I ran HackMii. I apologize if i am being misinformative. A friend gave me the utility and said read the readme to get HBC on my Wii. I did that and now I have HBC. I don't understand the mechanics of how it worls. Just goin g off of memory from what I seen on the screen when I did the modding.

I appreciate the help everyone has given so far and I will continue to post here if I have any more questions. I will refer to the wiki and read what I can about upgrading to 4.2 after modding 3.4.

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login