Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew question?

Posted by sahm 
Homebrew question?
April 20, 2010 08:55AM
Hi,
I bought a new Wii and would like it to play games and movies from the Harddisk, but I am actually lost on which software to install first or do I need to install all of them or not.

For example is HackMii Installer v0.6 the only software I need to start playing games and DVDs from Harddsisk. Does it have a menu to select between things.

Does it work for all versions of Wii.

Do I need to install "Wii Unlocker Ultra" also to get the features mentioned in this program or there is a free software that will do the same thing. I saw the features and looks very easy and nice to use.

If there is a list of software to install with a sequence of installation will be much apperciated.

Things to be aware of before starting this install or any other info that may help.

Many thanks and Regards
Sahm
Re: Homebrew question?
April 20, 2010 09:40AM
You don't have to pay for anything

Just use the "Homebrew Setup" tutorial on wiibrew.org install the homebrew channel, and DVDx (DVDx MIGHT not work if your Wii was built too recently, as recently built Wiis have a new PCB board on the DVD drive that doesn't read anything but Wii Optical Discs) and then use the app called WiiMC to play your movies
April 20, 2010 03:05PM
Also, we don't support methods of playing official Wii games off of a hard drive.
April 20, 2010 03:43PM
bg4545
Also, we don't support methods of playing official Wii games off of a hard drive.

Good catch, I didn't even see that it said he wanted to play games off a harddrive.

Sorry buddy, we just don't support those apps here
April 20, 2010 04:36PM
If you want to play movies from a hard drive, you should install IOS 202. It may work without IOS 202, but probably not as well. It will also allow you to play DVDs if your disc drive is old enough. If I'm not mistaken, DVDx isn't supported in WiiMC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 04:36PM by jbc007.
April 22, 2010 07:03PM
Many thanks guys for the all reply's.

Just one more question, my Wii menu says 3.4E which from my readings has IOS50 and IOS254 and what I understood is that it only support SD card but I only have Sandisk SDHC, shell I upgrade to 4.0 to add support for reading SDHC and will that reduce my ability to do more things with Homebrew.

Will the Wii allow me to upgrade to 4.0 or it will directly upgrade to the latest menu.

Many thanks
Sahm
April 22, 2010 09:32PM
You can update your wii if you want. It really does not matter. SDHC cards will work with homebrew regardless of your system menu version.

If you want to update to 4.0 or 4.1, you must do so manually, as the official update will install 4.2. Unless you know what you are doing, it is best to perform an official update, as updating manually could fully brick your wii if you make a mistake. Do not use any "safe" updaters, as they frequently cause bricks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login