Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

can i upgrade hacked wii with menu 3.3 to newer?

Posted by msugarpants 
can i upgrade hacked wii with menu 3.3 to newer?
May 02, 2010 09:03AM
Why would I want to do this? Well, as a newbie, i updated something...dont know what, but it was a wii homebrew site that swore I needed this. So, i think I installed it on an SD card and HBC along with some other stuff completely stopped working. I was still able to play NTSC games, but not PAL...and the HBC just showed bubbles.....no other response. So, that was months ago. Now, I just want to start all over with Bannerbomb instead of Twilight Princess. So, can I update my semi-bricked wii to a new menu? How do I do that while staying away from 4.2?

Sorry if this was the wrong forum. I am new to this....as a 6th grade student of mine helped me set this up last year. So, its all pretty new....yet I know this is a brick issue and it has its own forum. Can I repost there, or will I be glued to a pentagram for doing that? ;)

thanks
Re: can i upgrade hacked wii with menu 3.3 to newer?
May 02, 2010 01:29PM
I'm fairly sure this is NOT a brick issue. Your Wii functions perfectly fine, its not bricked. Hence not a brick issue.

Now we NEED to know what it is you installed under direction of the other forum. Was it cIOS? Many forums tell you that you need this for homebrew purposes (a load of crap btw).

About HBC showing only bubbles: Do you have a compatible FAT32-formatted SD card inserted with and "apps" folder on the root and apps inside? If not, thats why it only shows bubbles.

About only playing NTSC games - I assume your Wii IS NTSC, so this is the normal behaviour. Did it at one point play PAL games? Perhaps you had a patched System Menu or something...

If you can try and answer these questions, we should be able to help you.

You SHOULD be safe to update to 4.2 via wifi, but I wouldn't advise doing that quite yet until we establish exactly what your issues are. Please give us a list of all "problems" with your Wii in its current state.

I'd advise you to install BootMii. Run the HackMii Installer (via HBC or an exploit, such as bannerbomb or Twilight Hack), and choose to install BootMii as boot2. You seem to have a fairly old Wii, which means it should be able to install as boot2 (it doesn't work on newer Wiis, HackMii Installer will tell you if it can install or not). Then take a NAND dump in BootMii. This will allow you to return your Wii to its current state if anything goes wrong.
May 02, 2010 08:53PM
Thanks SifJar. I cannot run anything on HBC because I cannot access it. the SD card was working fine, so it was formatted properly...i THOUGHT. But it IS FAT 16, not 32. I even have to unlplug the wii to reset it because when i load a disc using a certain program (he who shall not be named), the wii just goes dark, and I have to unplug it. i will see what i installed. I cant find it on the PC so i think i deleted it, but it should be on the card if i can find that......(hours later.....)

ok, found it. I THINK it was a file called Install Shop IOS51. It did play PAL games through other programs I got from this kid. I dont think they are allowed here. that no longer works anyway...as mentioned above. Bootmii and hackmii installer sound very familiar. I think I had those through HBC. Where would I look to see if i have already dont this? I do not see it on the SD card. I really havent looked at this stuff in nearly a year....so, I apologize for not being able to follow nearly anything from your last paragraph....but I will research to see how to do this. I just dont want to upgrade to 4.2, remove the hack, AND brick the wii. yet i bought a few games that I must run with at least 4.1 and I want to stream netflix now...FAIL...and bannerbomb.

The stuff i dont understand is the nand dump and boot2. I have a file called boot.dol

In fact... here are all the folders on the card:

apps
boot.dol (not a folder)
CODES
fceugx
genplus
homebrew channel from wiivamp
misc (empty)
prboom
private - wii - title - bunch of other codes
snes9x
temp (bunch of png files. one of which is boot-it.png
TXTCODES
vbagx
WAD

hope i did not violate rules with anything there. if so, i have no idea.

thanks for anyone who can help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2010 01:05AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
May 02, 2010 09:12PM
In apps folder, i noticed i do have something called cIOS_installer Inside that, i have boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml. I am not sure that this is what I installed that started causing problems or not. I seem to remember something with numbers attached to the end. cIOS36 might be the one...but i dont see it on my card, only my backup hard drive. Also i have something called wbfsgui_v25_eng that sounds familiar from that time, but I think its the first one.

If these cIOS files are not necessary...and possibly even harmful, then why when I check every bittorrent soft hack file posted online, do they all contain some version of cIOS? I dont get it.

Finally, while searching for help on this file a while ago, i do see that i have downloaded some stealth kits from hitman jack and wiifix tools. I have not used any of them because I dont really know how too well, and I wanted to see if anyone on the forum could advice me.
May 02, 2010 09:49PM
You can't talk about loaders (i.e. USB loader) here.

If you want to run PAL games again, use Gecko to do so.

If you are using a System Menu version lower than 4.0, doing the 4.2 update should be just fine. After it finishes, read the WiiBrew homebrew setup guide to get the HBC back; you may not need to do this if the HBC is not removed after the update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2010 09:50PM by WikiFSX.
May 04, 2010 04:17PM
sorry. I didnt realize the usb loader talk was off limits. wont happen again. I do use gecko....or at least i had it on the SD card. So....thats it? just do the update then read the setup guide? I thought 4.2 was harder to work with in the homebrew community, no? maybe all those kinks have been worked out. Well, ultimately I was hoping to do this, so I will give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. what on earth was that cios36 anyway? I am sure that is what threw it all off in the first place.
May 05, 2010 03:25AM
cIOS36 was a modified version of IOS36 most likely put in place to make the loader operate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login