Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc channel dead after 4.2 update

Posted by death69inc 
Disc channel dead after 4.2 update
May 31, 2010 06:04AM
have a previosly softmodded system that was updated to 4.2 from monsterhunter tri
no longer reads any discs

anyone know why 4.2 would knock out the drive

system works fine other wise
tried to do a fix i seen in a post here about unpatched ios's but all the ios's are unpatched except 36 but did not work even reinstalled them all except stubs as he did in his post ...but no help

going swap out the drive later tonight and see if it does help but as i have seen others with this issue im sceptical it will work but never hurts to try

any ideas woudl be helpfull been searching for answers since last night only have found one post here that had a fix but didnt work for me as stated
Re: Disc channel dead after 4.2 update
May 31, 2010 07:08AM
By softmodded, do you mean with a cIOS and a backup loader?
May 31, 2010 07:15AM
not sure what it had before

update
replaced drive from my other wii and it works fine ...

issue is what in the 4.2 update can kill the drive and is there a way to fix it
also used wii fit to test and it needed to update???? its at 4.2 wii fit was before that. must needed a ios that wasnt installed?

put old drive back
spinning up laser is lighting red
but keeps giving error unable to read disc but was working fine before the update
if there is a way to fix the drive I rather do that than replace the drive as I would need to order one

current setup
bootmii, hbc and 36 patched only no other modded ios's etc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 07:17AM by death69inc.
May 31, 2010 07:38AM
Alright, I just wanted to make sure we can support you here. That being said, it seems we can.

It's not the 4.2 update that killed your drive, as it is bad timing, older Wii DVD drives are known to go south after a while. Your only real option is to send it in to Nintendo or get a new drive and replace it yourself. Problem is, if you send it to Nintendo, they'll give you a new drive which can't read DVDs, so you couldn't watch a DVD via WiiMC or something
May 31, 2010 08:07AM
yeah I have came to the same verdict
coincendence that is was the exact same timing as the update but shrugs
guess ill be ordering a new drive I may pull the laser from the other and see if it loads if so then ill only need to replace a laser

thanks for your comments

Update It was the laser love the timing
put laser from my other drive in this one and booted right up

1st place I should have looked but since it happened same time as the update was the last thing i looked at

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 08:27AM by death69inc.
May 31, 2010 01:49PM
It's not the laser that matters in the drive. It's actually the drive's firmware that has been changed to make data DVDs unreadable.
June 01, 2010 12:18AM
not sure what you mean but after laser was replaced it is working fine now wasnt talking about a d3 etc

so I would say firmware was fine
June 01, 2010 04:23AM
He is talking about the newer disc drives which are unable to play DVDs. This doesn't apply to your situation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login