Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating for Shop Channel, scared

Posted by Shopper 
Updating for Shop Channel, scared
June 09, 2010 03:07PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place..

SMG2 updated my Wii to 4.2 U. The Wii Shop Channel needs to be updated, and it will only let me do it through a System Update. I have the HB Channel on my Wii. Would it get deleted? Would I still be able to put it back with Banner Bomb? (I think that was what I used.) Is there a chance it will brick my Wii? Is there a safe alternative to using the System Update? I have a whole bunch of save files I don't want to lose, and I don't want to lose what I've already got, but my aunt got me a Wii Points card for Christmas and I'm tired of it sitting there unused...
Re: Updating for Shop Channel, scared
June 09, 2010 07:14PM
If you have 4.2 already, there will be no negative effect from installing the update.

Provided you have latest HBC, nothing would happen to it any way.
June 25, 2010 09:50AM
If you're looking to update the Shop Channel, WiiSCU v0.24 will do the trick. When you run it, just scroll down to the Shop Channel, and make sure you choose v19, as that is the latest version available. Hit Go, and you should be set when it finishes! :D

This is entirely safe, btw. I can verify this because I did it just the other day.
June 25, 2010 01:39PM
This is a reasonably old topic, from before 4.3. At the time, there was a Shop Channel update released independent of System Menu update (IIRC), and you could safely update through the System Menu and it would just update the Shop Channel.
June 26, 2010 08:04PM
SifJar
This is a reasonably old topic, from before 4.3. At the time, there was a Shop Channel update released independent of System Menu update (IIRC), and you could safely update through the System Menu and it would just update the Shop Channel.

To clarify, before 4.3 came out, updating was ok, but now it is not. Updating to 4.3 will remove the Homebrew Channel, DVDX, and BootMii IOS. It will also make using Banner Bomb and the Hack Mii Installer impossible. 4.3 adds no features and should not be installed at this time. If you did not update already, use Sonicdude41's solution to restoring functionality to the Wii Shop Channel.
June 28, 2010 12:08PM
Sonicdude41
This is entirely safe, btw. I can verify this because I did it just the other day.
Crossing the street naked while being blindfolded is entirely safe, btw. I can verify this because I did it just the other day.

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's entirely safe. In this case there is little that can go wrong. But watch out with what you say, because that's how people get bricked (it's perfectly safe to downgrade to 3.2, because that's what I did the other day, for example)
July 03, 2010 10:37AM
Daid
Sonicdude41
Crossing the street naked while being blindfolded is entirely safe, btw. I can verify this because I did it just the other day.

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's entirely safe. In this case there is little that can go wrong. But watch out with what you say, because that's how people get bricked (it's perfectly safe to downgrade to 3.2, because that's what I did the other day, for example)

Right. I'll be sure to keep this in mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login