Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Green screen of death with GeckoOS

Posted by Klotz 
Green screen of death with GeckoOS
June 17, 2010 12:21AM
Hi, first of all I'm not sure where to post this, sorry if it's the wrong section.

Alright so I want to play Fragile Dreams on my PAL Wii, but I haven't updated to 4.2 and don't intend to, either.

Tried to load the game with GeckoOS, screen went green, Wii made a bunch of noise like it tried to read the disc, and then the screen went black with an error message somewhat like "Remove the disc, turn system off, look at manual".

What the hell, can anyone help me out here guys? D:

Btw, on a sidenote, I started playing Mario Galaxy 2 a few days ago, and GeckoOS prompted me to install an IOS or something...I just did so I could play the game; was that something dangerous that gets in my way now? I read somewhere before not to mess with IOS, especially those in the two digit range, but I thought it'd be alright because GeckoOS wouldn't do any stupid shit...If someone can clear that up, that'd be appreciated too.
Re: Green screen of death with GeckoOS
June 17, 2010 03:22AM
For the first issue, I can't give advice any better than "mess with the settings and try again". Sorry.

Installing that IOS was fine.
June 17, 2010 10:24AM
Oh, so it isn't some common problem with an easy fix, is it =(

Good to know about the IOS though, thanks.

edit: Also, is there any way to update to 4.1 through the HBC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 02:31PM by Klotz.
June 17, 2010 09:11PM
Klotz
edit: Also, is there any way to update to 4.1 through the HBC?

Why not update to 4.2 through nintendo?
June 17, 2010 09:41PM
Well, I read everywhere that the update may cause your Wii to brick...especially if you messed with homebrew or the IOSes. Which I already did, obviously ^^;;

HBC and the like removed would kinda annoy as well, but that alone wouldn't be such a big deal because it's easy enough to set up again anyway.
June 17, 2010 11:22PM
That is not an issue. There is absolutely no reason to avoid the update, aside from the fact that there is no benefit to updating. If you want to update at all, just let it update to 4.2. Although it is entirely possible to update to 4.1, there is little reason to do so.
June 18, 2010 12:01AM
Huh? No danger at all? That's about the first time I've heard that, honestly...
Anyway, I'm almost tempted to try it at this rate, just to see if it's a problem with the loader or maybe with the disc itself.

Still kinda interested what all those stories of bricks from the 4.2 update are about then though, I really don't want to risk anything here.
June 18, 2010 01:26AM
The number of wiis bricked by the 4.2 update (specifically the boot2 portion of the update) is very small. This issue was blown way out of proportion, and is not a good reason to avoid the update. However, there is no actual benefit to updating.
June 18, 2010 01:51AM
Well it would have a benefit, and that is being able to play games directly from the disc channel again without having to prevent updates.
But anyway, I suppose I'll try the game at a friend's updated Wii to see if it works and then decide what to do.
June 18, 2010 07:07AM
Klotz
I'll try the game at a friend's updated Wii to see if it works and then decide what to do.
...Update. :/
June 18, 2010 03:33PM
Successful update is successful. Had to do it twice for whatever reason but hey, no Gecko anymore for games of my own region.
Too bad Fragile still doesn't work, guess I'll have to try getting a refund for that.

So yeah. Turns out it had absolutely nothing to do with Homebrew at all. Sorry guys =P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login