Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu Version

Posted by DaJ4ck3L 
System Menu Version
June 22, 2010 11:04PM
Ok my question is this, im on 3.1U system menu if i were to upgrade to the latest firmware would i lose anything (homebrew wise)? Another question is what do you think the best path for me to take is, an example is like to upgrade to 4.0, 3.2, etc. The only major changes ive done to my wii is add the homebrew channel, bootmii as boot2, and preloader with no settings added on just the preloader its self stock.

The thing is i want to play some of the newer games like NSMB and SMG2 i already picked up the retail copies of these games, i just need to know how to play them, and what is the best option of doing so being im on 3.1U.

So what do yall think :)
Re: System Menu Version
June 22, 2010 11:12PM
System menu 4.3 was just released, and it currently blocks most homebrew. Because 4.3 is so new, no workarounds are available yet. Therefore, you should not perform an online update at this time. However, no games have 4.3 yet, to it is safe to update from a game disc. Doing so will remove Bootmii/boot2, so be sure to reinstall it after updating.

Alternately, you could launch these games through Gecko OS, which will not require you to update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 11:13PM by jbc007.
June 23, 2010 07:58AM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but i'm also at 3.2u and would also like to play some newer games. Would you recommend updating to 4.2? If so what would I need to do to this.
Thanks
STP
June 23, 2010 08:01AM
STP1
Not trying to hijack this thread, but i'm also at 3.2u and would also like to play some newer games. Would you recommend updating to 4.2? If so what would I need to do to this.
Thanks
STP

Either a new game (newest game that has the 4.2 update is Super Mario Galaxy 2), or DOP-Mii
June 23, 2010 08:13AM
its cool the more info the better although im only at 3.1u and what i was wonder is if i do upgrade to 4.2u will i lose anything, like will some hombrew stuff stop working after 3.x or will everything be the same

also the gecko os asked to install a wad when i tried to play nsmb would that wad stay on the wii or is it just temp, and would it affect an update later in the future if i wanted to update would i have to do something extra or just update on the fly even if misc wads are installed form this ecko os
June 23, 2010 08:28AM
I just purchased beatles rock band and all I get is a black screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
June 23, 2010 04:53PM
DaJ4ck3L
its cool the more info the better although im only at 3.1u and what i was wonder is if i do upgrade to 4.2u will i lose anything, like will some hombrew stuff stop working after 3.x or will everything be the same

The old versions of the Homebrew Channel and DVDx are deleted by 4.2, so just be sure you have the latest versions. Bootmii/boot2 is removed, but it can be reinstalled. All IOSes will be updated with new versions that do not have the trucha bug, meaning fakesigned homebrew will not work anymore. However, as long as you do not update to 4.3, you can use DOP-Mii to patch the newer IOSes.

DaJ4ck3L
also the gecko os asked to install a wad when i tried to play nsmb would that wad stay on the wii or is it just temp, and would it affect an update later in the future if i wanted to update would i have to do something extra or just update on the fly even if misc wads are installed form this ecko os

This WAD is the IOS used by the game. It only needs to be installed once, and nothing bad could ever happen if you install it. However, Gecko OS may not be able to install IOSes found on newer games. If this happens, remember the IOS it says the game needs and install it with DOP-Mii.

STP1
I just purchased beatles rock band and all I get is a black screen.

It sounds like you have a block disc update check patch. Run the game through Gecko OS and let it install the games IOS. If Gecko OS is unable to install the IOS, install it with DOP-Mii. Then the game should work normally.
June 23, 2010 11:23PM
nice reply
June 24, 2010 07:05AM
Thanks jbc 007 I'll try that and will let you know
June 26, 2010 05:14AM
hmmm is there like a custom firmware that just has like all in one like a 3.2 firmware that can load 4.x games and access the shop channel and etc or some easy way to do it while staying on firmware 3.2
June 26, 2010 06:14AM
DaJ4ck3L
hmmm is there like a custom firmware that just has like all in one like a 3.2 firmware that can load 4.x games and access the shop channel and etc or some easy way to do it while staying on firmware 3.2

This is simple, and not a bad idea. If you haven't already, use AnyRegion Changer to install system menu 3.2u. Do not change any of the region settings. Then use WiiSCU v0.24 or DOP-Mii or to install the shop channel (if you use WiiSCU v0.24, choose to install shop channel v19). Also, install IOS 61. If you want to update the rest of the channels, go ahead.

Finally, install Priiloader and enable the block disc update check and, if you want, block online updates patches. A link to most of the patches is on the Priiloader page, but the block online updates patch is not there. I found it on another website, but have not verified whether it works.

[Block Online Updates]
version=289
offset=0x8165E910
value=0x6E756C6C

If any game gives you a black screen when you run it, run it once through Gecko OS and let it install the games IOS when it offers (if the IOS fails to install, install it with DOP-Mii). After that, the game will work normally through the disc channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 06:15AM by jbc007.
June 26, 2010 06:17AM
The Wii doesn't really have a firmware, just the System Menu [with versions such as 3.2, 4.2, etc.] and IOSes [which are independent of each other]. You can have certain things updated while still keeping a 3.2 System Menu.
June 26, 2010 10:09AM
IOS are really the firmware, according to HackMii, which is usually right.

But that is beside the point.

FYI, the "best" System Menu is 4.1, as it has ALL current features and no homebrew blocking attempts. dop-Mii can install any System Menu version as well, so there is no need to use AnyRegion Changer first. You'll need to install at least IOS61 if you want to access the Shop Channel, and I'd advise installing any IOS that are missing (I think dop-Mii will tell you this) and updating the rest as well.
June 27, 2010 05:55AM
Just to let you know, I finally got a chance to try that beatles rockband through the Gecko OS and it works pefectly.

Thanks for the help.

STP1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login