Would it be bad to leave your Wii on for a long time?
July 20, 2010 06:24AM
Not quite sure where to put this thread, but oh well, it's a bit of a newb question...

I wrote a data processing application that does some sorts, a few hashes sprinkled in, with a few i/o read/writes in there somewhere. The only problem is it takes a LONG time to do it on my computer, about 3-4 days, and my computer wastes masses of energy in the processes (500W PSU and a wasteful processor)... I've been thinking of porting it to the Wii, but I'm concerned that the Wii would catch on fire or something, if I leave it on for more than a day :p

tl;dr: Would it be okay to leave my Wii on for more than 3 days to process some data (high cpu usage, whilst low memory)?

Edit: On a side note, how hard is using multithreading in Wii homebrew?

Edit 2:
Ironically, the Wii is only 26% slower than using C# .NET on my computer with this application, whilst it's a lot slower than using C++ on my computer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 01:24AM by KevinEvans.
Re: Would it be bad to leave your Wii on for a long time?
July 20, 2010 06:23PM
if you wrote your application in C then it shouldn't be too hard to port. As long as you only used the standard library functions. The wii's processor isn't as strong as a normal CPU, so the application would take more like 5-6 days to complete. I don't know about multithreading or if it is even possible. But again, i don't know.As for leaving the wii on, if it breaks you can always just send it to nintendo and they can fix it for you, but my brother seems to leave his on all day and night, and his works fine. I don't think there wouod be a problem, other than the wii will get hot.
July 20, 2010 06:42PM
I left my wii on for about 4 or 5 days once because i didn't have a GC memory card, and I couldn't save my SSB melee data....so I think its probably fine.
July 20, 2010 08:05PM
Thanks for the responses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login