Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about BootMii and menu update to 4.3

Posted by DeeKay 
Questions about BootMii and menu update to 4.3
August 20, 2010 12:17AM
Hi,

I'm currently on menu 4.1E and have used bannerbomb to install BootMii as Boot2. Then I installed the homebrew channel v1.0.7. It's working perfectly and I can download homebrew over the Wifi.

Yesterday I updated to hbc 1.0.8 and then later I read about IOS 38 and the USB2.0 support.

My questions:

If I choose to install the new official 4.3E menu to get IOS 38, Will I still be able to run BootMii since it is installed as Boot2?

Do I have to install BootMii as an IOS first?

Will it hurt (brick) my Wii if I install as Boot2 and as IOS?

Since the only IOS on my Wii with trucha is (official NUS) IOS41 (as far as I know) because I installed it myself, do I need to do something about that or will the official update modify or stub IOS41?

If I read correctly in the doc of hbc, I do not need to reinstall my current version hbc after official NUS update but, to get the new USB2.0 support I do?

OR

Should I just do a clean install of just (the official NUS) IOS38 and save myself a whole lot of trouble?

However, I want to run my Wii as cleanly as possible (only with hbc added).
Do I really need 4.3?

Greetings,

DeeKay

Please excuse my bad English (I'm dutch)
Re: Questions about BootMii and menu update to 4.3
August 20, 2010 12:23AM
IOS41 doesn't have trucha bug. There is no revision of IOS41 that has trucha bug, so if it is indeed an "official NUS" IOS41, you don't have nay IOS with trucha bug. But that's fine.

Anyway, an official update would most likely wipe out BootMii/boot2 by updating boot2 to v4 (you probably have v3 currently). Other than that, there'd be no real effect. BTW, you already have BootMii/IOS, its automatically installed by HackMii Installer 0.7 and up.

Finally, its IOS58, not IOS38 that gives USB 2.0 support. You only really need it if you use USB devices in homebrew apps like WiiMC. But you do NOT need to perform an update to get it, you can use [www.wiibrew.org] to install it easily without updating. You'll need to reinstall HBC after installing IOS58 to get USB 2.0 speeds in HBC.
August 20, 2010 12:35AM
Thanks for the quick answer!

Sorry about the IOS58 mix-up. I already downloaded it (Tantric installer).

Does the HackMii installer automatically install as IOS even if I choose to install it as Boot2?

Is there an easy way to check this?

I would really like to continue using hbc even if one of my kids (accidentally) would choose to update...
August 20, 2010 05:33AM
The newest HackMii installer installes BootMii as IOS when it starts. This is because the installer is dependent on BootMii IOS. If you install BootMii as boot2, then you have both BootMii IOS and BootMii boot2.
August 20, 2010 12:23PM
HBC won't be deleted if you (or someone else :P) update your Wii. And if you have run the latest HackMii Installer, you DO have BootMii/IOS, there is no need to check. However I think if you run it again it will tell you if its installed or not (and it will be). The only thing that remains to be done is check HBC is running on IOS58. If you installed IOS58 before updating HBC, it should be. You can check by launching HBC and pressing the Home button, and looking at the top right corner of the screen. If it isn't, simply launch HackMii Installer again and reinstall HBC.
August 23, 2010 09:51PM
Thanks!

All my questions have been answered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login