Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I want to update my console to a higher version

Posted by Jmastab 
I want to update my console to a higher version
September 07, 2010 06:17PM
Hi everyone I was thinking that I would want to update my wii. It does have the homebrew channel and it's current version is 3.2U. and I have preloader ver. 2.8 on my console. Is there a way I can update my system to 4.2 without losing any hombrew or bricking my console. Also is it worth updating or should I leave it at 3.2. Thanks.
Re: I want to update my console to a higher version
September 07, 2010 07:06PM
You can update with dop-Mii WiiBrew Edition. Make sure you install IOS70 and SM 4.2 for your region. I would advise also updating every IOS on your Wii to its latest revision (except stubs, no point wasting time on them). Make sure to update your HBC to the latest version first, and also install BootMii/boot2 if you don't already have it and take a NAND dump. After the update, preloader will be gone. I advise installing Priiloader if you want to keep the functionality of preloader on 4.2.
September 07, 2010 09:28PM
why would we not just put in the new HBC, then do an update thru Ninendo? That's what we are preaching on the wiki... I still don't understand why everyone recommends these crazy workaround update procedures... just do new HBC first... then update thru nintendo... BAM easy clean no probs.
September 07, 2010 10:52PM
He asked how to go to 4.2, I told him.
September 08, 2010 12:12AM
Maybe he meant 4.3 :)

Or maybe he just doesn't know that 4.3 is out and thinks 4.2 is the latest. There should be no problems if he updates to 4.3 through the official process, since new Priiloader version works well on 4.3 also.

However, my recommendation would be, first of all before doing anything else, to update HBC and BootMii boot2 to their latest revisions (1.0.8 and 1.3 respectively) and take a dump of the NAND. Keep that backup safe in your PC and burnt in some disc. You never know if you will ever need it!
September 08, 2010 12:45AM
If you are willing to go to the effort to update manually, you may as well update to 4.1, as the only purpose of 4.2 (and 4.3) is to remove homebrew. If you do this, use DOP-Mii to install IOS 60 v6174, and then system menu 4.1. You should also install all IOS versions that you don't already have (DOP-Mii will tell you whether you have any given IOS); however, there is no reason to install stubs. I advise that you do not update any IOSes you already have (particularly IOS 36). There is no disadvantage to having old IOSes; however, most NAND modifying applications (such as Priiloader) still require bugs that are not present in newer IOS revisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 12:45AM by jbc007.
September 08, 2010 01:17AM
Okay thanks everyone for the help, I also don't mind if I had had 4.3 for a firmware so If I would want 4.3 should I just update the homebrew channel and then update my system or should I use the DOP-Mii and install the IOSes
September 08, 2010 02:29AM
that's my point.. 4.2 and 4.3 serve no purpose other than to remove HB... so why go thru the trouble of stopping at 4.2 or 4.1... just update to the latest HB first... then do official 4.3 easy. You don't miss out on anything, and it's a lot more simple and fool proof)

I know he asked 4.2 and you told him how, but why would we have him stop at 4.2... go all the way baby!

edit:

most NAND modifying applications (such as Priiloader) still require bugs that are not present in newer IOS revisions.

Yeah, i don't use those so that is where there might be a reason to not go to 4.3 that i don't know about. But if you can do bootmii as boot2 (which you may be able to) would you need those other things? (once again, don't use too many nand apps so i dunno any that work on 4.2 but not 4.3)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 02:32AM by mdbrim.
September 08, 2010 04:26AM
mdbrim

most NAND modifying applications (such as Priiloader) still require bugs that are not present in newer IOS revisions.

Yeah, i don't use those so that is where there might be a reason to not go to 4.3 that i don't know about. But if you can do bootmii as boot2 (which you may be able to) would you need those other things? (once again, don't use too many nand apps so i dunno any that work on 4.2 but not 4.3)

If all you want is brick protection, Bootmii/boot2 is best. However, most NAND modifying applications are useful for other purposes. The trucha bug was fixed starting with the second revision of most older IOSes, and was never present in newer IOSes, which means that it does not make a difference if you have the second or the latest IOS revision, in most cases. Of course, it is usually only beneficial to have the trucha bug in IOS 36 and sometimes the system menu IOS.

In any case, if you update to 4.3 via the official updater, you could use DOP-Mii to install IOS 36 v1042 if you want to continue to use old NAND modifying applications.

Note to anyone else reading this: downgrading IOS is sometimes dangerous. It is always safe to downgrade IOS on older wiis, such as Jmastab's. However, "LU64+" wiis can not run pre October 23, 2008 IOSes. Depending on which IOS is downgraded on such a wii, the consequences can be as bad as a full, irreparable brick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 04:29AM by jbc007.
September 11, 2010 07:06PM
Okay I finally got everything to work I'm on version 4.3 and and still have the homebrew channel. Thanks everyone but also Boot Mii dosn't start up should I reinstall it onto my wii ?
September 11, 2010 07:17PM
If you installed it as IOS (very likely if you have a recent Wii), it will must be run through HBC. Press Home in HBC and choose Launch BootMii.
September 11, 2010 07:56PM
Ok thanks SifJar it's still there
September 11, 2010 07:59PM
I just found out that dvdx is taken out is there a way I can reinstall it onto my system
September 11, 2010 08:01PM
It is now outdated and no longer necessary. Apps such as WiiMC and Tantric's emulators can use DVDs without it now, provided they are loaded with the latest HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 09:46PM by bg4545.
September 13, 2010 02:11AM
If you had BootMii as boot2 before, you should reinstall it as boot2. BootMii IOS provides little or no brick protection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login