Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Regarding the recent Wii update

Posted by SifJar 
Regarding the recent Wii update
September 08, 2010 07:49PM
Nintendo recently released an IOS and Shop Channel update. There is NOT a new System Menu, and no other channels have been updated.

All Korean IOS are now installed on all regions, to prevent an IOS downgrading workaround exposed shortly after the release of 4.3.

Shop Channel now uses IOS56 and requires the latest revision of this IOS to be installed, unlike previous versions of Shop Channel. If you want to use Shop Channel without updating, use dop-Mii WiiBrew Edition or NUSD + WadImport to install latest revision of IOS56 and the Shop Channel v20.

If you are on 4.3, this update is safe. It will not remove HBC 1.0.7+ and HackMii Installer 0.8 still works. All exploits that worked on 4.3 still work. This update in effect changes nothing.

I decided to make a (temporary) sticky to hopefully prevent quite such a large flood of newbies asking the same questions again and again.

For more advanced users, here are the logs of the updates:

EUR - [wii.marcansoft.com]
JPN - [wii.marcansoft.com]
KOR - [wii.marcansoft.com]
USA - [wii.marcansoft.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 07:00PM by SifJar.
Wii Shop Channel update is safe if anyone's gonna ask.
September 08, 2010 06:39AM
Just confirmed it from GBATemp and from the update itself. All the update seems to do is update Wii Channels themselves. Bonus, it even updates IOS 58, and seems to make HBC a bit faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 07:51AM by Mestizo.
Re: Wii Shop Channel update is safe if anyone's gonna ask.
September 08, 2010 08:09AM
Also, adds the so-called "Korean IOSes": IOS40, IOS41, IOS43, IOS45, IOS46, IOS48, and IOS52

[wii.marcansoft.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 08:14AM by bg4545.
September 08, 2010 02:24PM
that's a relief, i woke up to my drive light flashing. this was the first place i came.
thanks for the early update!

ok, i just might not be brave enough. i don't have an external hdd if anything happens. i'm on 3.1u. is it gonna force my system update as well? cause that's what it looked like.
please strengthen my nerves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2010 02:54PM by kichoufumetsu.
September 08, 2010 04:22PM
It's a forced update only in the way that you will not be able to enter the shop channel if you don't update. But since you are still in 3.1 I don't think that really means anything to you :P

So no, you don't need to update if you don't want to.
September 08, 2010 05:20PM
kichoufumetsu
that's a relief, i woke up to my drive light flashing. this was the first place i came.
thanks for the early update!

ok, i just might not be brave enough. i don't have an external hdd if anything happens. i'm on 3.1u. is it gonna force my system update as well? cause that's what it looked like.
please strengthen my nerves.

It's an IOS update, but to update it, it forces you into doing a system update. If you have HBC 1.0.7+, and do not have any modified IOS that you want to lose, you should be fine to update.
Re: Regarding the recent Wii update
September 08, 2010 07:53PM
Merged previous thread into sticky.
New version of menu 4.3
September 09, 2010 01:27AM
Today I recieved a message from the Nintendo Channel saying a "New and improved" version of system menu 4.3 was released on September 7th. Not only does it say that modifications to software can "hinder gameplay", but also modifications to savegames, so this update probably targets savegame mods. Has anyone else seen this?
Re: New version of menu 4.3
September 09, 2010 01:50AM
September 09, 2010 03:45PM
Nothing in the update is targeted to savegames.

The nintendo message most probably wants to scare users to prevent them to use indiana pwns, which as you know, is based on a modified savegame.

If they were to target modified savegames, they would go after indiana pwns first.
September 09, 2010 06:09PM
The update doesnt affect anything related to homebrew. Its safe to go ahead and update to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 06:09PM by Arikado.
September 09, 2010 06:42PM
Axel
Nothing in the update is targeted to savegames.

The nintendo message most probably wants to scare users to prevent them to use indiana pwns, which as you know, is based on a modified savegame.

If they were to target modified savegames, they would go after indiana pwns first.

4.3 still blocks the Twilight Hack, so Nintendo has to provide this warning. This will almost certainly be the case with all future updates as well.
September 09, 2010 11:33PM
Okay, thanks for clarifying. I guessed it would be about Indiana Pwns, but its not.
September 10, 2010 05:13AM
It's been confirmed that Smash Stack, Indiana Pwns, and whatever the Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds thing is called still work. I believe this update is just to stop backups. Nintendo also released an update on the DSi that blocks most flash carts.
September 10, 2010 05:23AM
The update is just to stop people from patching IOSes. It did not change the System Menu and does not necessarily "stop backups".
September 10, 2010 06:53AM
bg4545
The update is just to stop people from patching IOSes. It did not change the System Menu and does not necessarily "stop backups".

It helps! I believe it makes it harder, dont you need the old IOS 41 to downgrade 15 to patch 36?

I did enjoy reading about the DSi update! Screw all those pirates!! (even though they could get new cards but still)

I bet like 1- 2% of people w/ carts actually use it for Homebrew.
September 10, 2010 03:51PM
NintendoFreak
bg4545

It helps! I believe it makes it harder, dont you need the old IOS 41 to downgrade 15 to patch 36?

I did enjoy reading about the DSi update! Screw all those pirates!! (even though they could get new cards but still)

I bet like 1- 2% of people w/ carts actually use it for Homebrew.

That was the very first work around to install HBC 1.0.6 after the 4.3 update was out. Pushing first revision of IOS41 with WAD Installer and using it to downgrade IOS15 and restore trucha on IOS36. But nothing of that is needed anymore for anything, so latest Nintendo update really helps for nothing.

All IOSes installation is now made through IOS58 and HW_AHBPROT flag. There is virtually no need to have patched IOSes anymore.
September 10, 2010 07:04PM
No Korean IOS workaround is necessary now to install a patched IOS for any purpose, including piracy, meaning this effect will do NO harm to anyone. It was rather a fail on Ninty's part.
September 10, 2010 07:53PM
SifJar
No Korean IOS workaround is necessary now to install a patched IOS for any purpose, including piracy, meaning this effect will do NO harm to anyone. It was rather a fail on Ninty's part.

Nintendo always comes late to the party ;)

They are always a step behind... their fixes and patches only patch what has become unused :D

They definitely need to spend more time browsing the web, lolz!
September 10, 2010 08:07PM
Shouldn't this thread just be merged with this one?

[forum.wiibrew.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login