Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob with a ton of questions

Posted by mt78 
Noob with a ton of questions
September 09, 2010 04:33PM
Ok I just purchased a wii this past saturday.
I am looking at adding the homebrew channel
but I had a few questions first.

It has 4.3u on it
I am not connected to the internet.

1. Is there a way to view backup movies off of a hard drive? I am asking since I know you can't play Dvd's on the new wii's?

2. *REMOVED*

3. I guess my big question is with this new wii what all options are available to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 05:36PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Re: Noob with a ton of questions
September 09, 2010 05:56PM
1.) Yes, there is. Using WiiMC you can play videos from an external hard drive.

2.) Backup games are NOT supported here.

3.) There are tons of things you can do with the HBC. Just look around on the wiki and you'll get an idea of what you can do.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions!
September 09, 2010 06:03PM
Hiya! <3

I'm pretty new to doing homebrew on my Wii also, but I've found lots of neat stuff you should be able to do.
Now, my own Wii does play DVD's...more or less. I've only tried a couple and it seemed to read them, but getting past menu was a bit wonky. Of course my Wii is about 2 yrs old or so.
It does have 4.3U.

You should be able to easily install the Homebrew Channel (HBC) if you haven't already. You'll need a specific game to do it, but it's easy to borrow or rent or you may own it. If you haven't already done this, you really want to. ;)
THEN...
It's a shame you aren't connecting it to the internet because there's a really neat app called Homebrew Browser that lets you see lots of really nice apps and games and installs them for you. Since you can't do that, you can go to the homebrew section of this site and browse stuff on your own and load them from your SD card. It's not hard, just a little more complicated. Most of the homebrew you download will just go into the apps folder on your SD card and opens with the HBC, but take a look at what you download carefully. A LOT of them are compressed and already in an "apps" folder so all you have to do us unzip them to the root of the SD card and when it asks if you want to merge the apps folders, just tell it yes.

So what can you do right now? So far I'm able to run lots of neat homebrew games by some very talented coders. Super Mario War is excellent! Since I am able to connect to the internet, I also use a media player that lets me listen to streamed internet radio and watch streamed internet video (not as good as Hulu or Netflix) that is generally streamed by private individuals.
The media player I am using also allows DVD playback on my Wii. I don't think it would hurt yours to try it. If not, at least you have a pretty decent audio player.

You should be able to run emulators also. LOTS of them. They are generally very small and you can fit lots of them and roms onto an SD card...but where you get the roms is up to you.

I will be watching carefully for a reply to your question of playing what I think you mean to be "game backups". I, too, would like to know specifics on how this is done as I have a little one who has already destroyed my Wii Sports and I would like to know what is needed to keep my Wii Resort from falling to the same fate.*REMOVED* I'm getting a little scared of tinkering because I'm seeing things about changing the IOS that I don't like because I don't know anything about it. I don't wanna brick my Wii.

I understand your asking here. I know enough to try to scour the net for instruction, but almost EVERYTHING that comes up in search engines anymore is pre Smash Stack and 4.3U and therefore loaded with tons of irrelevant and outdated information.

~Angua~
edit: (Hey, how come my sig isn't working? =P )

You are not allowed to talk about USB/Backup loaders or cIOSes at all. Also, there are no sigs here. --bg4545

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 09:27PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 10, 2010 02:22AM
To --bg4545

Sorry 'bout that, hon. I kinda just got carried away in answering the question to be friendly. Won't happen again....

And as for the sig, the control panel thing for the forums has a space to make one. I just figured it wasn't working. I can just type it. =D

-= ^_ ^=- ~Angua~

Thanks!!!
September 10, 2010 02:32AM
Yeah I know you were just trying to help, but the reason you cannot talk about it is that any info given out for legal "backups" can also be applied to illegal pirated games.
And yes there is an area to input sigs but they are disabled for everyone because sometimes they are a little too much (i.e. pictures/useless stuff and whatnot).
September 10, 2010 04:14PM
LOL!

In many forums the signatures take up much more space than the post contents themselves! x)

Yeah, well, Anguawolf, almost everything we try to help with can be used for piracy. We have to be very careful on what we say and try to avoid, in our possibilities, to even mention anything related to cIOS, IOS patching, disc backups and loaders.

Thanks for your interest in helping and your spirit, tho! I like your writing, sounds cute. :P
September 10, 2010 06:53PM
Anguawolf
To --bg4545

Sorry 'bout that, hon. I kinda just got carried away in answering the question to be friendly. Won't happen again....

And as for the sig, the control panel thing for the forums has a space to make one. I just figured it wasn't working. I can just type it. =D

-= ^_ ^=- ~Angua~

Thanks!!!

No. If you bother to read the rules, you will find that that sort of behaviour will get you banned. There is a reason we don't have signatures here. If we wanted people to have them, they'd be enabled.
September 11, 2010 04:48AM
Hey SifJar...don't get all snippy on me. If you have a valid reason you'd like to share that I can't type my own nickname, then I will respect that. I honestly don't see the difference with that and typing emotes to show an expression of how you are feeling. When people put banners and such in, I can see that and I totally have no problem with that. But all I am doing is making a few little symbols that I am typing for MY NAME.
Now, ease up, please, SifJar. I think you are either making unfounded assumptions about my intentions or you are just way too uptight. There's no reason to come across like a drill sergeant over it. It isn't like I'm telling anyone where to find roms or iso's or anything. I have no intent to break forum rules.
September 11, 2010 12:41PM
I'm not trying to be over strict, and IMO, what you suggest is fine. However, it is still against the rules, just as much as discussion of warez or flaming other users or anything like that. If one person breaks one rule, and we allow it, why should we stop others from breaking other rules? I didn't decide the rules, but they are set and we cannot bend them for anyone. If you simply mean putting your name at the end of each post, that's fine I guess, many people do it. But that is rarely what people mean by a signature on forums, and often there is more stuff there, like images etc. That sort of thing is disallowed. I apologize if I came across as "snippy", I am merely pointing out a suggestion of rule violation, same as I would if someone suggested talking about warez or patching IOS or anything else against the rules.
September 11, 2010 02:58PM
There is a reason why even some cops which make display of excessive violence and step over human rights are not able to see why what they do is bad. They tend to believe that what they are doing is the correct thing and that the only thing they are doing is enforcing the law.

Criteria and common sense must be used always to distinguish the severity of an action, even if it is breaking some rule. Not all rules are the same, some are more severe than others, and not all rules must be treated by equal.

Threatening with banning is way beyond the expected reaction to typing in some characters at the end of a post. A lot of people would agree that this attitude is way overreacted. Please keep this site a friendly place to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 03:01PM by Axel.
September 11, 2010 06:49PM
Axel, it's not our job to keep this site a friendly place to share, it's to keep it from becoming like "the other" crap fail websites where sigs run rampant, and the talk is all about piracy...

Sure it might come across as harsh to the new folks, but that's why this site isn't overrun with total fail.

I think the points have all been made so lets move on. It is the way it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login