Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to homebrew, wanting to make sure i know what im doing

Posted by v27pig 
New to homebrew, wanting to make sure i know what im doing
October 12, 2010 12:56PM
Ok i am new to homebrew but i have been thinking about doing it for a while. my wii is 4.3e, and i've done a bit of searching and found that you can use Indiana pwns as a way of doing it. What i want to know is....is it as simple as your instructions on the wiibrew.org site, because in my searching i found a youtube tutorial, and it went on over 5 clips, and it was telling you to go into ios manager, load ios41, change this ios to that one..and on it went, which totally confused me and really put me off doing it. But then i was told about this site and saw that all you needed was the indiana pwns, and copy the boot.elf from the hackmii installer, go to the art room and hey presto follow the simple instruction of installing the homebrew channel and your done. (with just the addition of backing up the NAND)
Re: New to homebrew, wanting to make sure i know what im doing
October 12, 2010 02:01PM
Glad you asked here because you lost your sense of what you were doing :-( Youtube tutorials will do that to a guy :/

Anyways, yes, its as simple as wiibrew.org says it is and it always has been. Just use Indiana Pwns to install the Homebrew Channel and BootMii and then backup your NAND with BootMii. You could probably get it all done in less than five minutes.

Happy Hacking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 02:02PM by Arikado.
October 12, 2010 02:54PM
thanks alot.

just one other thing that is slightly holding me back. i've heard a few people have bricked their wii's and yes i know that it is a possiblity of doing it and that no one is accountable but myself, i'm wondering if this way of hacking it is easy for a newbie, and/or is it more prone or less prone to bricking the wii?
October 12, 2010 03:40PM
Usually people brick their Wii's when they do something stupid like downgrading their Wii software. As far as I know no one has ever bricked their Wii installing the HomeBrew Channel. And yes, putting homebrew on your Wii is very easy for a noobie. I'm the perfect example

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 03:40PM by billsfan444.
October 12, 2010 04:12PM
Hello v27pig,

I'm very glad you have asked before following fail guides to homebrew. The source of your confusion comes from what those tutorials are intended for. There are two objectives for hacking the Wii:

1) Running Homebrew - This is legal although not supported by Nintendo. This is as simple as using Indiana Pwns to load the HackMii Installer to get HBC in your Wii and the using it to launch homebrew applications and games. There is absolutely no risk on doing this. It is very fail-safe and it will for sure never brick your Wii.

2) Loading pirate backups - As you imagine, this is completely illegal and not supported in these official forums. In order to achieve this you need to break several protections Nintendo has set to prevent it. These include installing patched IOSes (system files), and sometimes downgrading your Wii System Menu version. This is very risky and is the cause of several bricks.

As long as you keep yourself inside the first territory, you and your Wii will be safe :)

Regards,
October 12, 2010 04:49PM
thanks for the help and advice guys, if i happen to run into any problems i know where to come to. thanks again
October 18, 2010 07:36PM
When installing HackMii what are the pros and cons of installing to boot2 or IOS?
October 18, 2010 08:06PM
dude, next time start your own thread... and pick a freakin different nick... wtf?

if you can install it as boot2 DO SO! that is the best... pretty much total brick protection. allows you access to the wii at the lowest level so you can restore your NAND (memory) if something goes wrong.

IOS offers similar features, but you have to be able to boot the wii in order to get to it, so it doesn't really help as much.

So if you CAN do it as boot2 (cuz newer wii's you can't) do so.
Then take a NAND backup.
Then change your nick.
Then you'll be good to go.
October 18, 2010 08:36PM
Ughh... forum etiquette was never my specialty. No matter what I do, it's always wrong. Post in an old thread, I'm told to post a new one. Start a new thread, I'm told to post in an existing thread. There is no winning.

I do appreciate the help though. I installed to boot2 and backed-up my NAND. Thanks.
October 18, 2010 10:12PM
no problem!

take those two files dumped to your sd card by the NAND dump and store em away in a safe place.

depending on how much tinkering you do / what kind of tinkering you do, doing a backup every so often isn't a bad idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login