Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Loud buzzing noise and crash.

Posted by jlenoconel 
Loud buzzing noise and crash.
October 23, 2010 05:35AM
I bought a 2nd hand wii off of a friend and got everything working on it pretty perfectly. I have been having a problem with the system crashing when it tries to load off of USB a few times though, once through wiiradio, another time when I tried to load a rom through the Genesis emulator, and once through wiiMC. Every time there has been a loud buzzing noise. Is there something wrong with the usb port or perhaps the usb stick, or is my problem a common occurrence at the moment?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 05:37AM by jlenoconel.
Re: Loud buzzing noise and crash.
October 23, 2010 03:28PM
We need more details such as your Wii System Menu version, your HBC version and whether you have IOS58 installed for running from USB.

What you describes sounds like your standard code dump error, which might be pretty common if something regarding USB access is not properly set up.
October 23, 2010 06:55PM
Well, its the latest wii homebrew channel version, wii menu 4.2, and I believe I have IOS58 installed. Its not doing it all the time, like everytime I use my USB, but its doing it frequently enough for it to be a concern. Thanks guys.
October 25, 2010 04:12AM
Will someone please give me some advice?
October 25, 2010 10:31AM
jlenoconel
Will someone please give me some advice?

You could try using another USB drive to see if it's the drive that is causing the dumps.
October 25, 2010 11:49AM
I also experimented some random application crashes recently, while testing the new libogc USB2 compatibility in genesis plus gx.

Strangely, it can take various form: DSI exception screen (you can still reload to HBC manually), freeze (you can' t do anything but holding power button to switch off the console ) or automatic reload to HBC (you don't see any exception screen)... Sometime, it even freezes in the DSI exception screen

If that helps, when DSI exceptions occured and I had the time to read the stack messages, it was crashing in ios_free during the call of c_irqdispatcher and it also seemed to me the USB drive light was blinking, as if it was trying to restart the drive after disconnection or power-saving mode... It seems like USB2 external interrupts callback are still a little bit unstable. However, since I'm constantly recompiling against the last libogc on SVN , I can't tell if it has been fixed yet or not, as crash seem to occur pretty randomly (I haven't noticed any for a while but it happened after libogc 1.8.4 as well).

PS: The loud buzzing noise you are experimenting is because of the program freezing while playing sound, that's all, it's just a side effect of the crash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 11:51AM by ekeeke.
October 26, 2010 10:06AM
I'm a little bit worried that the USB's at the back are busted. How easy is it to mess though up?
October 26, 2010 05:25PM
jlenoconel
I'm a little bit worried that the USB's at the back are busted. How easy is it to mess though up?
USB is designed to be robust, so don't worry about that, if it works most of the time then the problem is almost certainly not in the hardware.
October 26, 2010 08:14PM
Thanks Daid.
November 01, 2010 01:02AM
Just had the crash again. Happened every time I would load a rom on the Sega Genesis emulator. Stopped when I reloaded the emulator, took out the USB and reinserted it. Not sure why its doing this :(

Could it be anything to do with having too much stuff on the SD card?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 04:27AM by jlenoconel.
November 01, 2010 08:02AM
OK I am beginning to get very frustrated with my wii. I am going to post a checklist of all my ios's so I can figure out what's going on. Was going to ask if any of this could have anything to do with the sound settings on the genesis plus emulator, as this is crashing constantly, over and over again and its getting to be very annoying. It will do the buzzing sound when I try to load up a rom and I will have to reset the emulator to make it work again. Ugh, I wish I could figure this out.
November 01, 2010 10:51AM
What version are you using ? Is it a crash like you described before or just a constant buzzing sound with the emulator remaining active ?

As I already explained you above, libogc USB2 support was quite unstable some time ago so if you are using unofficial builds, they might give such issues...

Also, I have fixed things some time ago that would cause FM internal table being corrupted and random sound issues when loading games if table initialization was interrupted by an IRQ so you might just be using an old revision.

If you didn't compiled the emulator yourself and are using an unofficial build then wait for the short-coming official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 10:55AM by ekeeke.
November 01, 2010 03:12PM
I am going to check the ios's later today as I think maybe now I do not have IOS58 installed with the homebrew channel on top of it. I don't think I even have IOS for USB2 support enabled and never have, but I have never had these type of problems either. I installed the genesis emulator from the homebrew browser. Hopefully installing IOS58 will change things but we will have to wait and see.
November 01, 2010 04:17PM
The version on homebrew browser is quite old and does not support USB2 so installing IOS58 won't change anything.

I still don't understand what is happening to you exactly: is it a program crash like before or is the program working normally except you have a loud buzzing sound when playing the games ? Does the buzzing sound also happen in the emulator menu ?

Anyway, it is probably an issue with something you recently installed, removed or upgraded.Just wait for the next version to come out.
November 01, 2010 08:27PM
Well, at first it was doing it and crashing I believe, and then it was doing it and still loading the game. I changed the sound settings so maybe that will make a difference. Its done it with a few other programs soooo...

I thought that the new homebrew channel ran off of IOS58, so if you are running it on another IOS it would become unstable. Don't know if this is true. Thanks for all the advice.

Also, I am using the latest Gens emulator version which I downloaded off of the homebrew channel. Hopefully the bug was just down to the homebrew channel being on the wrong IOS, but if you say its because of USB2 then who knows. I'm just hoping things will be more stable now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 12:58AM by jlenoconel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login