Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiSX bios converted into a VLC media file?

Posted by gamefreak89 
WiiSX bios converted into a VLC media file?
November 07, 2010 08:31AM
Ok I used the smashstack trick to get back my HBC back onto my Wii after that I download the the WiiSX from the HBB (Home Brew Browser) the thing is that when I download Bios files for my WiiSX onto my SD card they keep getting converted to a VLC media file why? I uninstalled any programs that would cause that but it didn't work I can't figure out what's going? and Why the Bios isn't showing up in WiiSX 2.1?
Re: WiiSX bios converted into a VLC media file?
November 07, 2010 01:05PM
Its a .BIN format file presumably, which VLC can play (not all .BINs can be played obviously, only ones that actually are media files, but all .BIN files are recognized by Windows as "VLC Media Files"). Your file is not converted at all, it is fine as it is.

As for getting it to work in WiiSX: I'm not going to help you there as you appear to have illegally downloaded the BIOS. You must dump the BIOS yourself from a physical console.
November 07, 2010 01:59PM
SifJar
As for getting it to work in WiiSX: I'm not going to help you there as you appear to have illegally downloaded the BIOS. You must dump the BIOS yourself from a physical console.

Ummm... it is quite apparent that he doesn't know how to dump his BIOS. The man just asked about how VLC was "converting" his file, when all it was doing was associating it's file type as a whole. I know the procedure, but it's frankly too much work for so little to obtain, and I don't think he neither wishes to learn, nor wants to go through the grueling task of buying and soldering stuff, when the file is readily available online. Same goes for having to dump one's own cartridges (seriously... in my opinion, I wouldn't want to purchase a copier just to dump a game and play it on my PC/console. I'd rather play it in it's original format, or download an image from the net. I DO create my own PSX ISOs because, well... who can't do it with everyday hardware today?). But that's just my opinion.

Also, I'm quite intrigued as how telling him how to use his BIOS with WiiSX is in any way illegal, since I've already told several other users asking for help on WiiSX how to not only use it, but how to setup the entire emulator by itself. I do not know how it is illegal to simply tell a user how to place the file in a certain directory. If at all, perhaps none of the emulators available should be up for discussion anymore, because a modest yet considerable percentage of it's users depend on images created by others, and use them regardless even if they own an original copy or not.

We're not talking about warez... at least not of the Nintendo Wii variety. However, fearing some unknown new policy being enforced on this forums, I'm afraid that I cannot help you gamefreak89. You could wait and see if they allow to tell you how to use it, OR... alternatively, you could google the answer. It's not that hard to find the answer, really, and you'd avoid having being told that 'x' is piracy and all that... rather non-amusing stuff you're likely to encounter here.

Also, on a sidenote... are you perchance familiar with the defunct CGA? If not, please ignore my question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 02:03PM by Magil.
November 07, 2010 02:18PM
Setting up the emulator is fine, but we can't support downloading any sort of illegal file, which he blatantly admitted to. Forum policy may allow it, but my morals do not.
November 07, 2010 03:21PM
yeah, Forum policy doesn't allow talking about where to download roms, bios, etc.

Emulators are ok cuz technically they COULD be used for running 100% legal free roms. (homebrew roms, freeware roms, etc)

But if he told you he dumped it himself and you believed him, you would tell him how to set it up. Just like we are ok talking about Wii backups but not about pira.... OH WAIT!!!!

saying setting up the emulator is fine, but we don't support downloading illegal files is like saying setting up the backup loader is fine, we just can't show you where to get the games.

I'm just pickin on ya SifJar... we have so many levels of gray area that we mess with every day, it's just fun to poke fun at the holes in our own logic. I think the rules are right where they need to be!

NO Wii backups and piracy
NO illegal roms or bios files.

Cuz the day a backup loader is used to load a full homebrew wii game, then we can argue that it falls into the same category an emulator does and becomes part of the safe for discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 03:23PM by mdbrim.
November 07, 2010 03:26PM
there would be zero point in that (and some already can BTW), as to load the backup loader, you need some method to run homebrew, so you can use it to run the homebrew (and don't say "it could be a channel", because so could the homebrew :P).

anyway, i agree with you. hopefully arikado or someone will come and sort this.
November 08, 2010 12:54AM
Well I just dump in to the WiiSX Bios and when I check it on my SD card it just shows up as a VLC file instead, also when checking it on my Wii it doesn't recognize as a bios file weird?
November 08, 2010 01:10AM
gamefreak89
Well I just dump in to the WiiSX Bios
Uhm... what?
gamefreak89
and when I check it on my SD card it just shows up as a VLC file instead, also when checking it on my Wii it doesn't recognize as a bios file weird?
Did you put it in the right place?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 01:10AM by bg4545.
November 08, 2010 04:12AM
SifJar
there would be zero point in that

I know... that's what i'm saying. I'm not talking about homebrew for SD card, i'm saying if some company came out with a freeware game that they put on a wii disc that worked in the wii and then released the image for it as well to be used on emulators (kinda of what happened with the other consoles to allow emulation to be "legal") That isn't gonna happen, i was just using it as an analogy.

gamefreak
it just shows up as a VLC file instead

dude, it is not a VLC file... it is called file association. YOUR computer thinks that you want that file to be opened with VLC. you could just as easily change it to prefer to be opened by MS Excel, or notepad. It is just a file association, it doesn't do anything to the file itself.
November 08, 2010 04:23AM
So I could change the file association with a program I'm guessing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 04:23AM by gamefreak89.
November 08, 2010 05:05AM
File association can be removed by either uninstalling VLC, going into VLC's options and removing BIN files from it's own file listing, or going into your Windows registry and manually removing it.

I'm not going into detail on how to do this because frankly I don't feel like it. They're fairly easy operations, and you can find out how to do so by yourself. BIOS files should work with your emulator on your Wii without any hassle, unless the BIOS is somehow modified if you attempted to play the file in VLC (dunno about it, and I doubt about it).
November 08, 2010 07:05AM
Nevermind got it working the game working now (Like I said in my other thread I posted) but the problem now is keeping the save file intact without having to start all over.
November 09, 2010 10:08PM
Ugh. I stay away due to aggravation with this board's rules and ridiculous logic loopholes for piracy, ROMs, etc, while it fully supports emulators which any gaming company would list as piracy (they even have a better case now with the advent of virtual console and similar on XBLA and PSN - since the games the emulators play can now be obtained through more official means), and the first time I get on to read this board again this is what I see. This board has become almost completely useless. It is sad that in order to actually get a question answered that I find myself going to GBATemp (which is really sad, as I understand why everyone refers to it as GBAFail). But at least, the first response to every question isn't "that isn't supported - it's EVIL!" thereby shutting down all useful discussion. I would be interested to see how much of this board is actually new questions with new answers versus the same 2-3 questions that newcomers will always ask instead of reading for themselves and topic after topic of pertinent new problems with no answer except "we don't support X". I must be a masochist for continuing to come here.

To the OP: Glad you got it working, but next time read a little before posting on a forum; Google is better than this board for answering any of my questions lately.
November 10, 2010 02:22AM
Edit: post removed and continued in the civil discussion on other thread :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 02:30AM by mdbrim.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login