Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just Making Sure

Posted by Anthony8 
Just Making Sure
November 26, 2010 12:44AM
Because as they say, it's better to be safe than sorry.

So hello, I've had homebrew on my Wii for over a year now and as such my Wii's firmware is still version 4.1. Lately I've been wanting to upgrade to the newest version (which I believe is version 4.3) and I just had a few questions that I was hoping I could get answers to (I've been doing a bit of research around here lately but I really wanted to make this thread just so that I could be 100% positive about what I'm doing, sorry if you've heard these questions a million times).

1. A while ago I heard that if I updated my Wii to the latest firmware it would wreck my Wii and that if I tried to turn it on all I would get is a black screen. I don't know if this person was trying to scare me or if they were just misinformed but I do want confirmation that it is actually ok to update officially through Nintendo.

2. If it is ok to update my Wii through Nintendo is there a certain version of HackMii that I need to have installed? (also how would I go about checking what version I currently have and updating if necessary)

3. Would it matter if I left the SD card with all of my homebrew stuff in my Wii while I update it or should I remove it?

4. What effects, if any, will updating to firmware version 4.3 have on the homebrew channel and other homebrew related things that I may already have installed on my Wii?

Thank you to anyone who can give me a hand with these questions, it's very much appreciated!
Re: Just Making Sure
November 26, 2010 01:10AM
Update your HBC to the latest version, update through nintendo, and there is no ill effects to updateing. Your really not gaining anything by going to 4.3, it was release in a attempt to block homebrew. 41 and 4.2 were and are the good menus to stay on.
November 26, 2010 01:56AM
the person who said your Wii would be wrecked was either lying or extremely gullible/misinformed.
November 26, 2010 05:33PM
I myself also have a 4.1 Wii and am planning on updating it to 4.3 in about half an hour. It should be perfectly safe provided you have the latest HBC (1.0.8). And the benefits are that it is far more straight forward than dodging updates from discs and manually updating IOS and channels.

EDIT: BTW, I have now updated to 4.3, and still have HBC, and Shop Channel is working, if perhaps hearing this first hand experience puts your mind at rest :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 06:36PM by SifJar.
November 26, 2010 07:45PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm not at home at the moment so I can't try it out right now but when I do get home tonight I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login