Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Time Use

Posted by benjamines 
One Time Use
December 07, 2010 10:39PM
Hello all. I just bought a red wii, and I'd like to copy a few of the save files (SSBB, AC:CF) from my old white one, which will then be reformatted and sold. This is my only goal. My questions are as follows:

Do I need to install the homebrew channel on both wiis to be able to copy protected save files?
Is it possible that a future system menu update will remove these save files?
Is it save to play online with these save files?
Once I have copied the files, if I format the system memory of the white wii, will there be any trace of homebrew? ie, will the warranty still be valid?
Likewise, if I have to install the hbc on the red one, but then remove it immediately after, will there be any traces of homebrew left?

Thanks!
Re: One Time Use
December 08, 2010 12:00AM
benjamines
Do I need to install the homebrew channel on both wiis to be able to copy protected save files?

Not necessarily, If the system menu of the red wii is 4.2 or below then you can use bannerbomb to launch savegame installer and if it is 4.3 you can use smashstack

benjamines
Is it possible that a future system menu update will remove these save files?

No

benjamines
Is it save to play online with these save files?

yes

benjamines
Once I have copied the files, if I format the system memory of the white wii, will there be any trace of homebrew? ie, will the warranty still be valid?

Yes, the homebrew channel always leaves traces and the warranty becomes invalid once you install homebrew

benjamines
Likewise, if I have to install the hbc on the red one, but then remove it immediately after, will there be any traces of homebrew left?

Yes so just try and use bannerbomb or smashstack to run a savegame installer, I think that does not leave traces
December 08, 2010 12:25AM
So, in short, if I just use smashstack, I should be ok, then? Sounds good. Thank you!
December 08, 2010 11:00PM
Smash Stack only loads .elf files

Also as far as I know savegame managers require patched IOS which are not supported in these forums, I don't know if they would also work with just downgrading IOS36 to restore trucha, but anyways you can not do that in the red wii.

I believe you will necessarily need to install HBC in both Wiis, and tinker them a little more to accomplish what you want, but keep in mind that by doing that you will leave traces of homebrew in both Wiis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 11:03PM by Axel.
December 09, 2010 12:37AM
Hmm...

Well, as much as I hate to lose my SSBB and AC save files, I feel safer just starting over than losing my warranty. My white Wii has been repaired a couple of times for various issues, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides, this way I can get a town that still has all the grass!

In any case, I appreciate everyone's help! Thank you!
December 09, 2010 01:16AM
benjamines, Try running the savegame manager through smashstack first, because I can't see anywhere that say it requires a custom IOS. If it doesn't then no traces will be left on either wii. If it does, then the application will just fail to work, still nothing left behind.
December 09, 2010 01:27AM
Well, I've already spent the last several hours moving all my AC items and SSBB replays, so I think I'll pass. Based on what has been presented here, it all seems pretty safe, but I still think I'd rather just be safe than sorry. Besides, my new AC town is way cooler than my last one. :p
December 09, 2010 02:24AM
Savegame Manager requires NAND permissions, which is only present in IOSes on system menu 3.3 and lower. However, you can launch Loadmii through Smash Stack and use Loadmii to launch Savegame Extractor.
December 09, 2010 08:02PM
This might sound stupid and quite farfetched, but... how about asking Nintendo if they can transfer his saves for him? That is, if any homebrew method fails to do so (without having to install HBC first). Also... there's "Savegame EXTRACTOR" available, which is also in Wiibrew and as far as I can tell, doesn't require any cIOS to run (though since it was made by the same guy as Savegame Manager... it's hard for me to believe such statement).

In any case, wouldn't it be possible to just temporarily install cIOS 249 while he uses the mentioned app, then stub it afterwords with DOP-Mii? Or would that still leave traces?

Just throwing out ideas...
December 09, 2010 08:13PM
Savegame Extractor and Savegame Installer require the disc for the game but not an IOS. cIOS249 is not supported here and although one could install it then remove it, we cannot tell you how to do so.
December 10, 2010 01:41AM
I was assuming from the beggining he was using legitimate original discs to play with, therefore I'd think that he'd have absolutely no trouble using the apps. I'm aware of cIOS249 discussion status here on the forums... but I was just proposing a method.

I'm also still curious if installing then stubbing cIOS249 would still leave traces, since that would be his main concern. Of course, installing it would be something he'd have to figure out on his own... but stubbing it would simply require for him to use DOP-Mii, which I think someone would help with here.

ATD would be completely out of the question of course... unless of course, there's a new version available that doesn't create IOS0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 01:42AM by Magil.
December 10, 2010 01:54AM
Magil
I was assuming from the beggining he was using legitimate original discs to play with, therefore I'd think that he'd have absolutely no trouble using the apps. I'm aware of cIOS249 discussion status here on the forums... but I was just proposing a method.
Yeah, the only reason I stated that the disc is needed is because [AFAIK] that's how it gets around using a cIOS. It uses the discs permissions to access the save for that specific game.

Magil
I'm also still curious if installing then stubbing cIOS249 would still leave traces, since that would be his main concern. Of course, installing it would be something he'd have to figure out on his own... but stubbing it would simply require for him to use DOP-Mii, which I think someone would help with here.
It wouldn't leave traces because once the IOS is stubbed you can't tell what was before it.

Magil
ATD would be completely out of the question of course... unless of course, there's a new version available that doesn't create IOS0.
I'm not sure about the version by bushing but it does work on current Wii's with the latest HBC. It's supposed to remove "IOS0".

EDIT: In the code for ATD (v1.0 by tona) there's this:
printf("\tRemoving 'IOS0'...\n");
fflush(stdout);
Uninstall_FromTitle(TITLE_ID(1, 0));
I'm still not sure about bushing's version though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 02:01AM by bg4545.
December 10, 2010 09:49PM
DOP-Mii and cIOSX installer also create IOS0, I know that from first hand, so there is no way he could install them and then stub them without leaving traces.

I don't think ATD is capable of removing IOS0.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login