Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I install the Homebrew Channel on a brand new wii?

Posted by Le02 
Can I install the Homebrew Channel on a brand new wii?
December 12, 2010 08:44PM
I heard something about brand new Wii's being unable to take advantage of Homebrew capabilities, can anyone knowledged in this area confirm or deny this? I'd love to run homebrew on a wii, thanks!
Re: Can I install the Homebrew Channel on a brand new wii?
December 12, 2010 09:32PM
That isn't true. You can still install homebrew with SmashStack (North America only), or IndianaPwns. You won't be able to take advantage of bootmii for boot2, but i think that is the only difference.
December 12, 2010 11:14PM
Also can't play DVDs (e.g. movie DVDs), and DVD "backups" won't work (a decidedly GOOD thing, in the opinion of myself and these forums)
December 14, 2010 05:56AM
Without bootmii or whatever for boot2 (not exactly sure what either of those are) will I still be able to launch homebrew apps and stuff from the HBC?

Also this isn't going to brick my wii right?

Thank god for not being able to play backups last thing we need is more piracy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 06:05AM by Le02.
December 14, 2010 06:46AM
Without bootmii yes you launch apps for HBC its how mine is setup. Bootmii boot 2 is the best brick protection you can have but newer wii won't be able to have it, can only be installed as a IOS.
December 14, 2010 04:00PM
If you want to know more about what bootmii is, go to bootmii.org
December 16, 2010 08:22AM
Alright, few more questions guys then i'm done asking I promise lol.

1. I'm getting my Wii this friday and I want to know how to avoid a brick, and if it does get bricked is there anyway I can restore it?

2. The only homebrew I see myself using is the HBC, SNES9GX, sysCheckGX, and brawlstats, these won't brick my wii right?

3. If I install that bootmii thing as an IOS or whatever do I still get the anti brick protection?

4. And the final question, is this the correct method to installing the HBC? Update to 4.3, then run smashstack and install it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 08:47AM by Le02.
December 16, 2010 10:06AM
1.- If you want to avoid bricking, you should install bootmii as boot2, or Priiloader. If you ever screw something up, this is THE ONLY WAY to recover. Since you're asking about a brand new Wii, you will most certainly be unable to install bootmii as boot2, so you'll have to settle for Priiloader. The actual things you should avoid doing is installing custom channels and/or themes without proper protection, fiddling with your Wii in a thunderstorm (as in, performing a System Update), or using one of a myriad of fail apps out there that "enhance" your Wii *glares at PimpMyWii*.

2.- Not really. These are pretty safe. I don't know much about SysCheckGX, but I think it might be safe as well. If you browse through wiibrew.org 's library, you'll notice that any potentially dangerous apps have a large red box with a Warning sign in them. If you wish to use those, throughly read the instructions on how to use them, do your own research and when you're sure how everything works and the inherent risks that come with using it, then go ahead.

3.- The only reason you'll want to have bootmii as an IOS is to dump your NAND for safekeeping, and as a last resort to recover from a brick. It offers no true protection while installed as an IOS. The only thing you might be able to use to recover is Priiloader. Still, it's recommended you install bootmii as an IOS anyways, and dump your NAND just in case.
Again, bootmii as an IOS offers NO brick protection. Only if it were as boot2.

4.- Performing a System Update in order to install and use HBC isn't really necessary. If you still feel compelled to update, then go ahead. You could, however, use bannerbomb to install HBC 1.0.8 now and update afterwards, if you don't feel like purchasing/renting SSBB for smashstack. Or you could update first, and use smashstack later. Your choice.
December 16, 2010 11:30PM
Thank you for all the help Magil, love the username...Chrono series rocks.

Lats question just to be sure, after I use the smash stack exploit can I delete the smash stack so I can make stages and stuff in brawl and still have the homebrew channel? Thanks.
December 17, 2010 01:24AM
Yes, smash stack only needs to be run once.
December 17, 2010 02:00AM
Alright, thank you for all the help you guys, I think I have all the info I need for tomorrow. Thanks guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login