Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help updating 3.4u Wii and Homebrew Beta 8

Posted by dkb13107 
Need help updating 3.4u Wii and Homebrew Beta 8
December 17, 2010 05:55PM
I recently purchased a Wii from a guy who had already loaded Homebrew onto the Wii using the Twilight hack. It is an old version Wii (3.4u) and an old version of Homebrew (beta 8). How do I go about updating both the Wii and the Homebrew without running into a Wii version that doesn't allow Homebrew?

I tried running the Homebrew update to 1.08 but the screen just goes to black after the download and doesn't install anything.

If there is more info needed, please let me know. Thanks for any help with this.
Re: Need help updating 3.4u Wii and Homebrew Beta 8
December 17, 2010 06:09PM
Go here: [www.bootmii.org] and download the latest version of the HackMii Installer from there, and extract the zip. You will get a file called "boot.elf" or "installer.elf" (can't remember which). If it is "installer.elf", rename it to "boot.elf". Then, copy "boot.elf" to your SD card, in a folder called "hackmii_installer" within a folder called "apps". So your SD card should look like this:

X:\apps\hackmii_installer\boot.elf (where X is the letter of your SD card, assuming you use Windows).

Then, put the SD card in the Wii, run the Homebrew Channel and select the HackMii Installer. Follow the on-screen instructions to update HBC, and optionally install BootMii.

Once you have done this, you can safely update your Wii to the latest System Menu via the built in update, because it won't delete the latest version of HBC. Before you do this though, check the serial number of your Wii, which should be on the back of the console. If it starts "LK", this means the Wii was originally Korean, and updating it normally will brick it. This is unlikely, but possible considering it was bought second hand, with homebrew preinstalled.

Also, note that if you chose to install BootMii, updating will remove it, but it can be easily reinstalled afterwards. So it is probably better not to bother installing it until AFTER you update your Wii.

If this doesn't work, or you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.
December 17, 2010 11:34PM
That worked great. Thanks for your help, SifJar.
December 18, 2010 12:00AM
No problem, glad you got things sorted. If you need any more help, you know where to come :)
January 05, 2011 10:40PM
Hi SifJar

Thanks for this. I too had a really old version and now thanks to you I have the newer homebrew installed, however I thought there would then be newer back uploaders available, as my version is 0.3 gamma wiigator which is not loading some of the latest games.

I tried loading the homebrew browser thinkin I may get them there but got " this is not a valid wii application"

I havn't updated the wii software yet as I was weary that it would un mod.

Is there anything else I need to update while I'm at it?

A lot of help I'm asking, I know ;0)
January 05, 2011 11:07PM
Backup loaders are not supported here, please read the rules. Hint: You will not find any backup loaders on the hombrew browser either.

As the original question has been answered, I guess this thread can be locked.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.