Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii NAND backup and updating from 3.3U

Posted by WiiSquirrel 
BootMii NAND backup and updating from 3.3U
January 01, 2011 09:58PM
I installed the HBC on my Wii back in 2008 and to be safe just stopped updating my Wii system SW. For as little as I play, that has been sufficient until recently when I purchased a game (Super Mario Bros. Wii) that requires a system update. I just downloaded the HackMii Installer v0.8 and had no trouble updating the HBC to v1.0.8. Before I go any further, I was hoping to get suggestions on the best way to proceed with 1) a BootMii NAND backup and 2) updating the Wii System SW.

Currently Installed:
Wii system ver. 3.3U
Homebrew Channel ver. 1.0.8

1) BootMii Question:

My Wii is old enough to install BootMii/boot2. The first thing I want to do is make a NAND backup so my system is protected in case the system update has any adverse effects. In the "NAND Backup/Restore" section of the BootMii README, it says:

"We suggest that you make a backup of your Wii's NAND Flash, label the SD card and store it in a safe place in case you ever need to recover from it."

Do I actually need to go out and buy an extra SD card for this? Is it possible to install BootMii using the same SD card I use for all my other Homebrew stuff, copy the backup file (i.e., nand.bin) over to my computer for safe keeping, and then delete nand.bin from my SD card to save space? Would this be a bad approach for any reason?

2) System Update Question:

I've read a number of comments on the forum from people who seem to think updating to 4.3 is a bad idea. However, I need to update my system (all the way from 3.3U) to play a game. Is there a better way to update my system other than just doing a Nintendo system software update? If so, is the alternative method safe?

Thanks!
Re: BootMii NAND backup and updating from 3.3U
January 02, 2011 12:04AM
WiiSquirrel
My Wii is old enough to install BootMii/boot2?

Maybe, the first screen that appears when you launch the hackmii installer should tell you. That a look at this page.

WiiSquirrel
"We suggest that you make a backup of your Wii's NAND Flash, label the SD card and store it in a safe place in case you ever need to recover from it."

Do I actually need to go out and buy an extra SD card for this? Is it possible to install BootMii using the same SD card I use for all my other Homebrew stuff, copy the backup file (i.e., nand.bin) over to my computer for safe keeping, and then delete nand.bin from my SD card to save space? Would this be a bad approach for any reason?

It is not necessary to buy an extra SD card, you can create a backup and the move it to a computer (that's what I always do after creating a backup)

WiiSquirrel
Is there a better way to update my system other than just doing a Nintendo system software update? If so, is the alternative method safe?

The best way of updating is through the official Nintendo update. It is completely safe, I have done it on my wii and nothing bad happened.
January 02, 2011 01:50AM
Thanks for the reply, headfirst4halos. I just installed BootMii/boot2 on my SD card without any problem.

Before I install system software ver. 4.3 via Nintendo system update, can anyone out there explain why so many people seem to think updating to 4.3 is a bad idea?

Maybe it doesn't apply to me since my current version is so very old.
January 02, 2011 02:59AM
The "bad reputation" of system menu 4.3 comes from the fact that it was created with the purpose of deleting homebrew and did not add any new features. The last time a feature was added was on system menu 4.0 which incorporated SDHC card compatibility.

You can learn more about it here and here

Don't worry, as I mentioned before, updating is safe.

P.S: You may need to reinstall bootmii (as boot2) after the update is complete since this update may remove it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2011 03:03AM by headfirst4halos.
January 02, 2011 04:30AM
Everything has been answered already.

In short,

1) You can create the NAND backup on your current SD card and move the backup to your PC. Just make sure your card has enough free space (>512MB).

2) After you update to HBC 1.0.8 with HackMii Installer 0.8 you are completely safe to update to System Menu 4.3 via Nintendo official update. Don't you ever try to update your System Menu via 'safe packs' you can find through the internet. They are all fail and may most probably brick your Wii. Updating through official update is the best way to go.

3) System Menu 4.3 has no drawbacks, its the best way to get all you current games running without any hassle. You will notice some improvements that have come in previous upgrades: The ability to move WiiWare/VC titles to your SD and launch them directly from there, and IOS58 which enables USB2.0 on the Wii. This is great for Homebrew Media Players such as WiiMC and emulators so you can load your files directly from a USB storage.

4) After updating to System Menu 4.3, you will need to reinstall BootMii/Boot2, and I highly recommend you to also reinstall HBC so it can run on IOS58 instead of IOS61. This is required if you want the homebrew to be able to use the USB2.0 capabilities. You don't need to use a exploit again to do this, you can put the hackmii installer boot.elf file in a new folder inside \apps and launch it directly from your current HBC.

Hope this helps,
December 20, 2011 05:48AM
Hello there, I have a similar issue with my wii console.

The firmware installed is 3.3u
HBC 1.0.3 (installed using the Zelda Hack)

I tried to update the HBC to the latest version available but after downloading the update using the HBC I got a msg telling me there was no need to update the HBC, so it didnt allow me to apply the update at all.

I don't know which is today's firmware, it is still version 4.3 or a new version is out there.

The reason why I want to update it's because of the new Zelda Game, Skyward Sword. I dont know if the latest updates to the HBC and the respective loaders will do the trick or not.

If is not possible to run this game after updating the HBC and the other application. it's there any way to remove all the hack and update the wii console as normal???

Please help me!

Update:

I have been reading in the internet if I tried to update my wii using the normal method without removing the hacks I could brick my Wii console. Is this true or a lie!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 05:59AM by dmilesfox.
February 03, 2012 02:53PM
The truth is, if you change anything on your Wii, you run the risk of bricking it. But that's not something to really worry about. The hacks, these days, are made to be safer to your system (generally speaking). If you have HBC up-to-date, then it will say there's no need to update until you've installed 4.3 as you already have it installed and running as good as it can on such an old system menu. So, go right ahead and update if you like. Just re-install HBC when you're done to take advantage of the newer IOS. And don't forget to reinstall Bootmii as well.
February 03, 2012 05:28PM
If you have the current version of hbc 1.0.8 hbc will not removed and you can update. 4.3 is still the current system that i know of. If your wii is connected to the internet hbc should tell you there is a update if not you can update manually.
February 03, 2012 05:33PM
Can you guys please start looking at the date of the last reply before you start "answering" these questions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login