Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii question

Posted by sickpuppy 
Bootmii question
January 02, 2011 04:34PM
First I would like to say that this is my second Wii, my first Wii was able to have bootmii as boot2 installed. The problem I'm having is with a Wii I just bought from my neighbor. It has 4.2 firmware and has a serial number that starts with LU37. I used the hackmii installer 1.0.8 to install the homebrew channel but will only install bootmii as ios. I bought this Wii thinking that the serial number was low enough for me to install bootmii as boot2. I also did some reading about the hackmii installer and read that it requires bootmii as ios to function. Is there any hope for me to install bootmii as boot2, or did the 4.2 update make this impossible?
Re: Bootmii question
January 02, 2011 05:30PM
If its can be IOS then thats all it be installed at. My mi has a low number on it and bootmii can only be installed as a IOS.
January 02, 2011 08:40PM
I was looking at the WiiBrew bootmii page and saw this

Consoles made after some point in 2008 (no concrete date is known) have a new version of boot1 that patches the vulnerability which allows the console to boot a modified boot2. The Hackmii Installer will detect this situation and refuse to modify boot2(see more at Hackmii). Since boot1 cannot be updated, all consoles already manufactured before this update are safe. About 10% of the consoles that ran the BootMii Checker tool have the new boot1.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii

I was thinking that I purchased my first Wii in Jan 2008, with a serial of LU55, my second Wii, LU37, must be older than that. That's what I do not understand, the quote from WiiBrew states that the boot1 cannot be updated or modified, so bootmii as boot2 should be possible on my LU37 Wii.
January 07, 2011 05:38PM
Boot1 is hard-written - once it's there, it cannot be updated or replaced. So if you have a new Boot1, which can tell if you have a hacked Boot2, you will NOT EVER be able to run Bootmii as Boot2. The 4.2 update had nothing to do with it, and no future update ever will as long as the Homebrew Channel can be installed on it.
January 07, 2011 06:30PM
metroid_maniac
Boot1 is hard-written - once it's there, it cannot be updated or replaced. So if you have a new Boot1, which can tell if you have a hacked Boot2, you will NOT EVER be able to run Bootmii as Boot2. The 4.2 update had nothing to do with it, and no future update ever will as long as the Homebrew Channel can be installed on it.

Actually to be more accurate, boot1 CAN be overwritten, but it will result in an irreparable brick. This is because boot0 (which is read-only, and cannot be overwritten) checks the hash of boot1 against the hash stored in OTP (One Time Programmable memory, which also cannot be changed). If they don't match (i.e. if boot1 has been changed since the Wii left the factory), the Wii will not boot. But in effect, yeah boot1 can't be overwritten without destroying your Wii.
January 07, 2011 08:01PM
SifJar
metroid_maniac

Actually to be more accurate, boot1 CAN be overwritten, but it will result in an irreparable brick. This is because boot0 (which is read-only, and cannot be overwritten) checks the hash of boot1 against the hash stored in OTP (One Time Programmable memory, which also cannot be changed). If they don't match (i.e. if boot1 has been changed since the Wii left the factory), the Wii will not boot. But in effect, yeah boot1 can't be overwritten without destroying your Wii.

Well... I knew that, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things. Even though I do most of the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login