Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc channel update/Bootmii/Priiloader/Brick protection questions!!!!

Posted by Jayjay1 
Disc channel update/Bootmii/Priiloader/Brick protection questions!!!!
January 02, 2011 07:53PM
Alright, it seems that I'm at the right place for newbs :P . So I bought the 25th anniversary red Nintendo Wii a month ago. So I managed to install Homebrew with the Smash Stack (because I have a 4.3U system menu). After this, I did a Backup of my NAND file, because I read that it was good for brick protection for the Wii. After that, I installed Priiloader for the same reason. Afterwards, I didn't do anything with my Wii and only played played disc games without any problems.

About a week ago, I was reading about brick protections because I'm a bit paranoid about bricking my Wii. This said, It's a lot of gibberish to me. So, I accessed Bootmii via Homebrew just to try to understand all of this. I was only scrolling threw the options and when the Icon with the SD card (which I don't know the usage) got selected, a window poped up for about a split second. The weird thing is, I didn't try to access that option. Anyway, I closed Bootmii and afterwards, my disc channel is asking for a update to play games. I tried with Smash Bros Brawl, Call of Duty Modern Warfare and New Super Mario Wii and the channel is asking for a update. I tried with my gamecubes game and Wii sport and the update is not necessary to play. Also, the disc is making a sound like it's getting inserted a disc when I turn on my Wii.

I'm a bit scared of bricking my Wii, so I didn't really touched my Wii since because I want to understand all this. From what I understood with other topics in this forum, and since my Wii Sports and gamecubes discs works, I think my IOS for the disc channel got downgraded to the original version with that Bootmii bug? Can it be that it was a bug? Also, from what I read, it's safe to run the update from the disc because it won't touch the system menu version (I'm a bit scared that it downgrades my System menu). And if the disc channel downgraded by itself, how can this happens?

Something else, How does bootmii and priiloader works for brick protection? The reason I'm asking this is that bootmii can only be accessed after you go in homebrew in the system menu. And how priiloader works if you brick your wii, I don't even know where or how to access it ?????

This is all a bit confusing for a newb like me, thanks in advance for helping me out. And since I'm new to this, I hope these questions are'nt related to the warnings of the forum.
Re: Disc channel update/Bootmii/Priiloader/Brick protection questions!!!!
January 02, 2011 08:48PM
You downgraded or deleted an IOS. The update will reinstall it, nothing more.

As for brick protection, Priiloader will protect you from banner bricks and such. If you install a bad custom channel or system menu theme, Priiloader will still run. However, if your wii becomes bricked for any other reason, Priiloader will not be accessible. Bootmii/IOS provides absolutely no brick protection (restoring a NAND backup with Bootmii/IOS is somewhat dangerous, and if you have a way to access Bootmii/IOS at all, there is a safer way to fix the problem). Bootmii/boot2 would allow recovery from essentially any brick. Unfortunately, this does not do you much good since it can't be installed on newer wiis.
January 02, 2011 10:36PM
Ok, that's a bit clearer. In the event that there would be a banner brick (or semi-brick?), how do I unbrick with Priiloader? You access Priiloader by reseting your Wii while holding the reset button? Because, at that point you can't access the system menu.... right?
January 03, 2011 03:48AM
Priiloader sits before the system menu. If there is a problem with the System menu then you can use priiloader to launch the Homebrew Channel, and from there you can fix the problem
January 03, 2011 05:54PM
Ok, so I managed to open my Priiloader. First, I have version 0.4, is it better that I get version 0.6? And I tried launching Homebrew from the menu but I got a error message saying that it couldn't open HBC and that maybe it wasn't install (which it's obvioulsy installed). Also I didn't do anything to the system menu hacks yet. I still have some learning to do before I mess something up :S.

Thanks for the help so far!
January 04, 2011 11:46PM
Install v0.6, that should fix your problem.
January 08, 2011 05:28PM
Alright, got around to install Priiloader 0.6. It was pretty simple and I can access Homebrew via Priilaoder. Thank you very much!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login