Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew install without disc (4.3u)?

Posted by Melatonin 
Homebrew install without disc (4.3u)?
January 16, 2011 09:32PM
Desired: Homebrew installed
Problem: Wii cannot read any disk

Unfortunately I have a wii with 4.3u on it, and is unable to read any disk so I am looking for a way to install the homebrew channel without using any disk of any sort. I would use Smash Brothers (which I have) but as I cannot get any disk to be read, that is out of the question. As I have been unable to find any way to do this, I turn to you for help. If there is no way to do it, is there word of a solution to come soon (ie. bannerbomb update?). My next step is to try to replace the laser and hope that is all that is required... Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)
Re: Homebrew install without disc (4.3u)?
January 16, 2011 09:47PM
How long has your Wii been unable to read disks?
January 16, 2011 09:50PM
you could send it to nintendo and they will fix it for you.
January 16, 2011 09:59PM
A long time now... just haven't got around to trying to fix it... (months?) I get the "An error has occured" black screen...

I have opened it up, and used compressed air to clean it out. I have watched the laser try to find the disk, and it moves fine but it doesn't want to acknowledge that anything is inside... (I can see the laser through the disc itself)
January 16, 2011 10:11PM
Hmm. IF you are still under warranty you could send it in to nintendo
January 16, 2011 10:31PM
I am the second owner of this unit (with no way to contact the original). Is there still a possibility that I am? And if so, how do I find out? As mentioned before, I have also opened the wii myself...
January 17, 2011 01:44PM
I think if you have opened it you are not under warranty, but I'm no expert on the matter.
January 17, 2011 08:24PM
Since you opened the Wii, your warranty is void. Also, since you opened the Wii, Nintendo will think you did something that disabled disks to be read. Sadly, I believe your only option is to get a new Wii.
January 17, 2011 10:13PM
Or you could replace the disc drive yourself.
January 29, 2011 12:59AM
Update: I ordered a laser and replaced it... Discs work fine now :) Followed this page of instructions...

[www.techdodo.com]

Downgraded to 4.1 (was a bit scared to do it, but it was successful)

Homebrew Channel installed, and all is well... thanks for trying :)
January 29, 2011 01:04AM
Just so you know, downgrading is pretty much pointless.... Nonetheless I'm glad you got it working!
February 07, 2011 06:22PM
OMG thank you, i have a earlier wii and it has been only used for its downloaded games i got on the wiishop, to bad i didnt find this awhile back, i could not find anything my wii has been like that for i would say 2 years, so i got a new wii.. I even paid almost 100 bux to nintendo only to have the Wii sent back in semi working condition it could never play smash brothers and a few months after nintendo sent it back it could not play any disc, Repair gaming shops here wanted way to much for repair so i just left it be... thank you I am gonna order that and get my other wii disc drive up and working again..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login