Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i'm new & i don't know what to do

Posted by newf 
i'm new & i don't know what to do
January 03, 2009 01:35AM
hey all, i'm new and i'm not sure what i should do... i just bought a used wii..great deal actaully . came with zelda twlight princess & a powersaves SD card.. i think i got everything i need to softmod this bad boy..powersave sd card good??. i've being reading alot about softmodding 3.4U FW .but this wii i just bought has FW 2.2... i was just wondering is the 3.4FW twlight hack compatible with wii 2.2 FW? what should i do?? should i update to 3.4?? i read somewere that 3.2 was the best for softmodding. i know the FW updates were trying to stop this. so what u guys think ?? i'm new so i thought i'd ask u guys.. how old is 2.2FW ?? i don't think its ever ben online at all..

well as u can read i'm planning on hacking my wii...so i was just wondering if theres anyway nintendo can brick my wii ?? i guess what are the risks? what shouldn't i do? or watch out for?? can i still connect to "wii live" or whatever its called and play with my friends and download miis?? also my buddy was sayin you have to do this load every few months, cause nintendo updates game codes? so i can't play new games when they come out...
Re: i'm new & i don't know what to do
January 03, 2009 02:00AM
Do anything but update.

Run the Twilight Hack with anyreigion changer as boot.dol on the SD card (should work) then install 3.2. After that, install the homebrew channel.
January 03, 2009 02:12AM
can i just update to 3.2??
January 03, 2009 02:20AM
if you choose system update in settings, it will update you to 3.4, so you have to use the AnyRegion Changer or a game with an update to get 3.2
January 03, 2009 02:38AM
thats what i thought .. how can i tell if the game has a system update for 3.2?? if i want to play tiger woods 09, do i have to update if it has one?? do i have a chocie to update or not ??
i got theses games:
zelda twlight princess
wii sports
wii play
resident evil umbrella chronicles
no more heros
redsteel
need for speed prostreet
January 03, 2009 02:47AM
This should help finding what update is on a disc. It won't force you to update if you just put the disc in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 02:49AM by bg4545.
January 03, 2009 03:03AM
GREAT! thxs for all your help, but do i have to update to play that game?? also what are the risks? what shouldn't i do? i want to be able to play tiger online & download miis... can i do this without bricking my wii?? lol all i can find is SambaDeAmigo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 03:12AM by newf.
January 03, 2009 03:15AM
yes, so far I haven't heard of Nintendo bricking/banning homebrewed Wiis. To skip a disc update, you could boot your game with Gecko OS (you can find Gecko OS on wiibrew)
January 03, 2009 03:41AM
how hard is AnyRegion Changer to use? i am kinda of a noob.. u know were i could find a good tutorial ... ya what so great about 3.2 FW over 3.4 FW. is it realy worth it ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 03:44AM by newf.
January 03, 2009 04:06AM
AnyRegion changer is pretty easy to use. Just start it and there's an option to install 3.2, just be sure not to mess with the region settings. With 3.4 you can't use (the official) DVDx, which lets you play DVD movies, but I haven't really heard of anything else.
January 03, 2009 04:33AM
with 3.4 you can't use patchmii (which helps for bricks) fakesigning, starfall, and mostly, the 3.4 update agrees with Nintendo's new EULA saying Nintendo can AUTO UPDATE you without your permission at any time... they haven't done so YET, but they would have the legal agreement...
January 03, 2009 07:18AM
ok so i think i got it.. now just have some problem puting "Setting replacement tool" & "AnyRegion_Changer"..
1update to 3.4u
2backup my setting.txt with Setting replacement tool
3use AnyRegion_Changer to install 3.2u

i'm just having problem with the "Setting replacement tool" & "AnyRegion_Changer"

1st with "AnyRegion_Changer":

x:\data\ FOLDER
x:\libogc_patches\ FOLDER
x:\source\ FOLDER
AnyRegion_Changer1.1b.dol do i just leave this like this ? 4 some reason i think i'm suppose to rename it to boot
COPYING copying what?? what do i do with this
Makefile make what file??? what file am i suppose to make

2nd "Setting replacement tool"

x\source\ FOLDER
Makefile make what file??? what file am i suppose to make
setting_replace.dol
setting_replace.elf

thxs again for all the help..
January 03, 2009 07:36AM
No, what you need to do is use only the AnyRegion changer to install 3.2. DO NOT update to 3.4, you cannot downgrade to 3.2. Don't bother with the 'source' folder, just use the .dol file as boot.dol. And the setting replacement tool is only for region settings so don't bother with that

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 07:39AM by bg4545.
January 03, 2009 08:03AM
ok now i'm lost:: what else should i have on my SDCARD ?
AnyRegion_Changer1.1b.dol as "boot.dol"
i don't have to make any file ?? were do i get the 3.2U FW

what else ? just the twlight hack ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 08:35AM by newf.
January 03, 2009 08:34AM
here's what you do,
1. Use the Twilight Hack to run AnyRegion Changer (put it as boot.dol on the root of your SD and use the Twilight Hack)
2. Select the option to install 3.2U (I think you need internet for this)
3. Install the Homebrew Channel using the Twilight Hack

use this version of the Twilight Hack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 08:35AM by bg4545.
January 03, 2009 08:37AM
great thxs , i'll let u know how it goes thxs again
January 03, 2009 09:10AM
k something went wrong..i'm still on 2.2U... i got to the any region changer screen , went to install 3.2.. did a little bit of stuff , than came back up with any region changer can brick your wii,, press 1 to continue or home to exit ... should i have wiiconnect24 on? & read the user agreement ? this is what i have on the sd card
x\private\ FOLDER
x\boot.dol aka AnyRegion_Changer1.1b.dol

the agreement says updated nov 17 2008, i have to accept it to turn wii connect on

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 09:53AM by newf.
January 03, 2009 09:56AM
umm I really haven't used AnyRegion Changer in a while so...
I think you just need an internet connection, did you try continuing by pressing 1?
January 03, 2009 10:36AM
ya i tryed that, i also tryed using a older any region changer,, still the same... should i have wiiconnect24 on? & read the user agreement ? i think its something to do with networking.. it hangs on "initializing network" for awhile.. i just tryed it again i think i seen "error opening" under "initializing network" its hard to see its goes by so fast.. but i tested the network connection.. says "connection test sucessful" perfrom system update now? wii support code: 61212, i'm wireless if that anything

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 10:43AM by newf.
January 03, 2009 10:45AM
ah, i see...
i guess you should try turning on WC24, but then that means Nintendo has the legal right to update your system without notifying you (It hasn't been used yet though). I guess you could then turn it off afterwards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login