Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newb ?: replace or buy new?

Posted by ccgegg 
Newb ?: replace or buy new?
September 19, 2011 04:04AM
Newb question from semi-technically challenged user...
My Wii can no longer read discs. Bought a new system today and it works fine, but my son isn't thrilled about losing all his Mario Kart achievements (among other wi-fi games). Hooked up old system to copy data from other games to SD card and tried a game just for the heck of it. Worked for about 30 min and 3 different games. On the 4th change, the read error returned.

I'd send to Nintendo for repair but my neighbor modded it 3 years ago. It never played those games well, so we threw them out. I don't care if the chip/key/mod (whatever it's called) is removed. I just want my normal Wii to work and keep our achievements in Mario Kart, etc. Any solution?

Sorry if this is wrong place to post.
Re: Newb ?: replace or buy new?
September 19, 2011 10:00PM
Just update your system by official Nintendo method, throught the internet or using a game.
September 19, 2011 10:57PM
If it is a modchip, that will not be of any benefit. That will only remove software modifications. If it is a modchip, you'll need to open the Wii and remove the chip. There is no way Nintendo will repair your Wii if they can detect it has been opened and tampered with I am afraid.

But there is another possibility. Try using an application such as Savegame Manager GX (find it on the WiiBrew wiki) to copy the saves off the old Wii and onto the new one.
October 02, 2011 06:03AM
a 3rd possiblity is to use priiloader with hacks.ini file to turn off protected save games. Then just copy them over to your SD like any game. That should also work.

Also have you tried cleaning the lense? I suspect a standard DVD lense cleaning DVD made for sloat loading might do it. I haven't tired it myself but if the DVD drive is already toasted, then might be worth a try. And you can always backup the save games later even if it doesn't work (although I would do it as soon as possible just for the sake of being safe).
October 02, 2011 11:45PM
If you have HBC on your wii and send it to nintendo they will NOT fix it and just send it back, unless you can back up your data and return it 100% to factory, but I think that they can detect anymore if HBC has been on a wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login