Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Launching BootMii Problems

Posted by gusmackay 
Launching BootMii Problems
October 02, 2011 03:07AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and am looking forward to interacting with people on this board!

I successfully installed hackmii as the iOS. The Homebrew Channel is available on the Wii home screen. After clicking on this channel, I press menu, and select BootMii. The screen goes black and my Wii console starts flashing blue.

The SD card has the following files (and is kept inserted in the Wii) on it:

private (folder)
boot.elf
installer (text)

It is a compatible SD card.

Any help that you can provide is so happily accepted :)

Ideally, I'd love to be able to move past this step and play games from Australia (as that's where I'm from and have a whole bunch I bought to the US with me).

Gus.
Re: Launching BootMii Problems
October 02, 2011 06:06AM
Bootmii doesn't work because you didn't use the "prepare an SD card" function of the hackmii installer. Regardless, it's not required to run out of region games. Grab the Tinyload download package, extract the TinyLoad directory into a directory called apps on your SD card and run it from HBC. It will automatically start the game disc currently in the wii.
October 02, 2011 06:24PM
Thank you tueidj! I downloaded it and extracted to SD card.

Yes, I don't recall reading about 'prepare an SD card' other than formatting it of course. My bad.

When I go to HBC it will not take me to an option to select TinyLoad. Unfortunately, when I click on it, it takes me to a screen with the red error bar in the top, and the progress bar maybe only 10% full.

I read some of the trouble notes and they don't seem too clear on this. I saw mentioned that it's picky about the OS. Have you had any troubles using it?
October 02, 2011 08:22PM
The obvious causes of the red bar are either having no disc in the drive or not having the required IOS installed. If your wii has been updated to 4.3 this shouldn't be a problem.
October 03, 2011 05:12PM
It is on 4.3, and the disk is in the drive.

If I were to re-install the iOS, how would I do this?

I am a little puzzled on how I have HBC installed ok, but not the iOS.
October 03, 2011 10:46PM
First off, IOS =/= iOS. Two VERY different things, not interchangeable.

Secondly, HBC has nothing to do with IOS. It will run on the best IOS installed on your Wii. (Your Wii has a bunch of IOS, each of which is slightly different from the others, but performs the same basic function - providing the "background" code for games to run, letting them "talk" to the Wii hardware more easily than trying to do it directly in game code. However, when new games require new functions in IOS, another IOS is made rather than updating the existing ones, to prevent breaking compatibility with older games. This means that different games require different IOS. The System Menu also uses it's own seperate IOS.)

So basically, it depends on what game you are trying to play what IOS you will need. Luckily, there is a fairly simple solution for many games. Run the game with Gecko OS ( [www.wiibrew.org] ) and it should prompt you to install any missing IOS. It should also then run the game, however TinyLoad should also work once the IOS is installed, and TinyLoad is faster and simpler to use I believe.
October 04, 2011 07:38PM
SifJar,

Thanks so much for your help. Happy to say that the Gecko OS worked perfectly. Sorry for the confusion between iOS and IOS. My n00bishness is sometimes all too apparent.

Thanks also to tueidj :)

Gus.
October 09, 2011 12:09AM
Hi.

I had a similar problem. I used letterbomb and got the Homebrew channel on my Wii no problem. It was however just a screen with bubbles.I was following the directions from YouTube (don't know if I should post the link) and was trying to proceed to part 2. I used BootMii and screen went black and blue light flashed. Anyway I thought I had done something wrong (didn't know about the forums yet) and I uninstalled the Homebrew Channel. I tried duplicating the process but now when I put the the SD card in and check the message board the red "letterbomb" doesn't appear in today, yesterday or any previous day. Will I be able to load up letterbomb in the future or have I messed up bigtime?

Just so you know I am beyond a noob. I know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff. I'm mainly doing this because my TG-16 died. Won't say anymore for fear of breaking any rules.
October 11, 2011 05:09PM
rob1966
It was however just a screen with bubbles.

The screen of bubbles on the Homebrew Channel was probably caused by having no applications on your SD card. You can download apps from the official Wiibrew wiki or straight through your Wii using the Homebrew Browser. To get the Homebrew Browser you just have to download it to your SD card and save it in the "apps" folder.

rob1966
I tried duplicating the process but now when I put the the SD card in and check the message board the red "letterbomb" doesn't appear in today, yesterday or any previous day. Will I be able to load up letterbomb in the future or have I messed up bigtime?

If it doesn't show up you could try reformating your card or using a different one. According to some posts I have read there has to be at least one message on your Wii so save a memo if you don't have one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login