Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does anyone know of a good tutorial?

Posted by 02JanDal 
Does anyone know of a good tutorial?
October 22, 2011 07:52PM
Hello,

I just got my Wii a few weeks ago, and as the DIYer I am, I now want to try to create some own things for my Wii.

Problem is: There seam to be a lot of different ways to go depending on Wii version etc. and after some hours on the net I can't really seam to find anything that really helps.

So my question now is: Is there a good tutorial covering everything from downloading and installing everything needed on both PC and Wii to playing a first simple program on the Wii?

According to my the Wii settings screen, my Wii version is "4.3E".

Jan
Re: Does anyone know of a good tutorial?
October 22, 2011 08:39PM
Well there are a lot of tutorials on the internet and here is one of them. It explains how to download and use one of the exploits to install the homebrew channell on you 4.3E wii. Although you have to have one of the games for the exploits, or you could rent one. You also need to download and install devkitPro on your computer to start making applications. You need to know C or C++ to code applications though. To download devkitPro go to the official sourceforge page. To find out how to set up devkitPro find one of the tutorials on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 08:44PM by IceD.
October 22, 2011 09:22PM
Is there a way to go if I don't have any of those games or any place to get them without buying them?

Jan
October 22, 2011 09:32PM
02JanDal
Is there a way to go if I don't have any of those games or any place to get them without buying them?

Jan

As far as I know there isn't a way without having any of those games, all the non-game exploits are for 4.2 and lower. Whatever you do, do NOT downgrade your wii.
October 22, 2011 09:35PM
Ok, so I have to in some way get one of those games.

A few quick questions:

1. Is it enough to just start them up once, without playing, or do I have to play them first (to generate some files or similar)?
2. What is the thing with not downgrading?

Jan

EDIT: Found this: LetterBomb. It seams not to need a game, but why is it only listed in the table and not together with the other games at the beginning of the site you gave me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 09:42PM by 02JanDal.
October 22, 2011 09:48PM
02JanDal
1. Is it enough to just start them up once, without playing, or do I have to play them first (to generate some files or similar)?

I'm not sure but I think you should use the game just once to be sure.

02JanDal

You can use the BannerBomb exploit without using a game but that is for version 4.2 and under only. You mentioned that you have 4.3E wii so you could have downgraded it without reading about downgrading. Downgrading can damage your wii badly if you don't know how to use it properly, and it is NOT worth the risk.

EDIT: I forgot about Letterbomb, so yeah, you could try using it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 09:52PM by IceD.
October 22, 2011 09:57PM
The only thing about up/downgrading I have done is upgrade to 4.3E using the updating that was only Wii itself.

I'm going to try LetterBomb tomorrow.

Jan

P.S. As I've understood, as long as I do everything as explained, nothing can go wrong?
October 22, 2011 10:12PM
02JanDal
The only thing about up/downgrading I have done is upgrade to 4.3E using the updating that was only Wii itself.

If you've upgraded through the wii itself using the official updater then nothing can happen.

02JanDal
P.S. As I've understood, as long as I do everything as explained, nothing can go wrong?

There is always a minimal chance of bricking your wii, but that is very VERY unlikely. If your wii has bricked it has nothing to do with homebrew and is probably because of some dodgy applications installed. But if you are folllowing the instructions on wiibrew or the official letterbomb website then nothing can go wrong.

BTW I have read in posts that you have to have at least one message one your wii to use LetterBomb, so make a memo and save it if you don't have one.

Good luck.
October 22, 2011 10:30PM
Actually if not mistaken the letterbomb you don't have to use a game. Look on the wiki wiibrew.org they might have put it there.
October 22, 2011 10:35PM
Where did I say that Letterbomb needed a game?
October 22, 2011 10:37PM
Because I didn't see letterbomb mentioned why I put that.
October 22, 2011 10:43PM
dirtrider73068
Because I didn't see letterbomb mentioned why I put that.

Yes, but if you read the later posts Letterbomb was mentioned and that's what 02JanDal was going to try.
October 22, 2011 10:45PM
Ok I did not see that part when I scanned over the post.
October 22, 2011 11:27PM
IceD
02JanDal

You can use the BannerBomb exploit without using a game but that is for version 4.2 and under only. You mentioned that you have 4.3E wii so you could have downgraded it without reading about downgrading. Downgrading can damage your wii badly if you don't know how to use it properly, and it is NOT worth the risk.
True about downgrading, but if there was no exploit then you would need an exploit to downgrade anyway.

@02JanDal: Use Letterbomb to install the Homebrew Channel and then you can code homebrew apps/games using devkitPro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 11:28PM by bg4545.
October 23, 2011 12:52AM
bg4545
True about downgrading, but if there was no exploit then you would need an exploit to downgrade anyway.

Good point, didn't think about that.
October 23, 2011 05:25PM
Just got the gxSpirite example working. No trouble at all!

Thanks everyone!

Jan
October 23, 2011 06:25PM
No problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login