Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Wiibrew Wiki HackMii Blog

Advanced

Installed BootMii as IOS instead of boot2

Posted by werty22 
Installed BootMii as IOS instead of boot2
November 09, 2011 06:02PM
Hi
I followed the Wii Homebrew Channel Installation Guide, but i think I made a mistake. I used the letterbomb hack to install the HBC, but then I installed BootMii as IOS, although I remember it said BootMii could be installed (the green 'can be installed' thing).
My Wii still works fine, and I can access the HBC; and I know I'm just a noob in all of this but I read averywhere that having BootMii as boot2 is a very good idea for safety, and I'd like to know if i can still install it? Is it worth it? Did I do something really wrong? Should I just sell my Wii for spare parts?
Whatever it is, now I'm reading everything thrice before doing anything, hah
Re: Installed BootMii as IOS instead of boot2
November 09, 2011 06:41PM
November 09, 2011 07:51PM
Thank you, it worked! I now have BootMii as boot2 and already made a NAND backup.
Also thanks for the explanation, it feels good to understand some of the things I'm doing not just pushing buttons and levers.
November 09, 2011 07:57PM
Yeah, I always find it best to fully understand what you're doing, it's safer that way. (e.g. won't accidentally brick your wii messing with something dangerous)
November 23, 2011 01:29PM
On the same subject...I installed HBC via the letterbomb method (i am running 4.3e), but Bootmii can only be loaded as IOS, not as boot 2. Am i right in thinking i have no brick protection in place at the minute? I just tried to load Bootmii again using the method explained above, and boot 2 option is not available, only as IOS. I don't want to proceed with other apps and things until i get myself protected! I hope you can help :S
November 23, 2011 06:02PM
November 23, 2011 08:35PM
Cheers SifJar. When you say i'll never be able to install Bootmii/Boot2, is this because i'm running 4.3E, specifically? You guessed right about my usage - Snes emulator, and ideally i'd like to backup my games and play them direct from USB. Not at all interested in themes, custom channels and patched ios/cios (whatever they are?!). Homebrew channel is installed, so i guess i'm good to go, just wanted to check i hadn't missed anything fundamental.
November 23, 2011 09:09PM
November 23, 2011 09:11PM
No it has absolutely nothing to do with System Menu version, it's (practically) a hardware thing - a piece of code called boot1 is loaded before boot2; old versions of boot1 had a bug that allowed BootMii/boot2, new versions have the bug fixed. The hash of boot1 is hardcoded into the Wii, and therefore, boot1 cannot be changed. Unless another bug is found in boot1, BootMii/boot2 can NEVER be installed on Wii's with the updated boot1 (i.e. newly made Wiis).

As for your uses: SNES emu = fine. As for backups, those are against the rules of the forum ("backups" is often a synonym for "pirated copies" and we are very much against piracy here - if genuinely desire to backup your own legally owned games, you're on your own as far as this forum is concerned; by which I mean, you'll have to work things out yourself). They also require cIOS, which clearly you don't know about. I advise you research very carefully before installing anything like this.

EDIT: bg4545 beat me to it :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 09:21PM by SifJar.
November 23, 2011 10:10PM
Ok, thankyou for your time Gents! I'm off to find UN Squadron :D
September 17, 2012 06:42AM
Im not sure if i understand why i cant load bootmii as boot2 on my wii. i have an older rvl-001 white wii
with gamecube ports, but the boot2 option isn't available....
September 17, 2012 02:11PM
Just because your wii is white with gamecube ports, doesn't mean it's old enough to install bootmii as boot2. It would have to have been made before mid 2008, if the installer says it can't do it then it is too new.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login