Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question before I Letterbomb

Posted by mnitruckr 
Question before I Letterbomb
January 29, 2012 05:48PM
I have a question about letterbombing and installing the homebrew. if this is just software, how will it disrupt my warrenty if something fails on my machine? can i just not reload the manufacturers untainted data before having the wii serviced? is there not a way to create a system backup to reload if something fails? i.e. disc drive etc. ? any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Question before I Letterbomb
January 29, 2012 06:15PM
No once you put homebrew on your wii, its done, will not be under warrenty it will void, and nintendo will not repair it. You can do back ups for your game data but they can still detect it somehow, there might be other ways one of the other guys will chime in, if don't do anything stupid won't have to worry about it.
January 29, 2012 07:26PM
If you install homebrew there is 99.9% chance that it will work without messing things up. If things do go wrong you can update when a new System Menu comes out and it will remove homebrew.
January 29, 2012 07:33PM
You can indeed make a backup of your memory with bootmii. If something goes wrong with the hardware, you can simply restore that back up and then remove bootmii. Nintendo shouldnt know the difference. However, if they find homebrew on your wii, they will not fix it and will send it back to you. But as Mangolnc said, there shouldnt be a problem with homebrew unless you are being stupid with it. (warez and other illegal things tend to harm your wii)
January 29, 2012 08:35PM
Homebrew won't harm your Wii, but it will void your warranty. IF you install BootMii/boot2 and NOT homebrew channel, take a NAND dump, THEN install HBC, you can always restore that dump and get your Wii back to nearly untouched state. Then use HackMii Installer to remove BootMii.

If you can't install BootMii/boot2 (newer wiis can't), that won't work and there will ALWAYS be a trace of homebrew on the system. If that bothers you, don't install homebrew would be my advice.
January 30, 2012 12:57PM
While yes, it will void your warranty, you can decrease your chances of this problem by using SNEEK or UNEEK after you install the homebrew channel.
The problem is that, should you need to service your Wii, there's really no point in trying to get things back to the way they were before hand as doing so would mean you wouldn't need to service it anymore. As for how they know that it's been run, there's a particular file on your Wii that keeps track of every game/program you've ever used on the system. It also happens to be a part of the reason some games don't work properly from other regions regardless of region mods. >_> Grr...
But yeah, if you want to steer clear of worries, SNEEK or UNEEK are your best bet. They're the SD and USB versions of the NAND emulator respectively.
January 30, 2012 05:38PM
SNEEK/UNEEK aren't supported on these forums because they are distributed with (optional) backup loading functionality. It's a shame crediar added that because other than that it's a pretty cool setup, but now we sadly can't support it here. Please refrain from mentioning it any more if you could.

Anyway, uid.sys (the file you mentioned that records every game played) doesn't have anything to do with region checks I am fairly sure.
January 31, 2012 03:24AM
Actually, I think it was in how the data is entered in the UID.sys file. I'm not 100% on the details, but some games in another region had problems with this. I wish I could remember who it was that found this. But it's not a region check, it's a lack of a certain variable that's recorded.
As for the other programs, okay. It's difficult to tell where the line lies with all of the software anymore since even the system menu can be considered to have the ability to play backups of wads. But I suppose I'll figure it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 03:26AM by d3m0n1q_733rz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login