Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Something Weird Happened (Two Stupid Questions)

Posted by Daluigi205 
Something Weird Happened (Two Stupid Questions)
March 14, 2013 10:32PM
Hey everybody. I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I really had no idea as to where to place this.

This isn't really anything regarding me needing help installing the Homebrew Channel, but rather a strange expirence I had that I don't understand.

Recently, my launch date Nintendo Wii has been giving me some issues reading Brawl (occasinally, it will have trouble loading the disc and can't read it, and Gecko would sometimes take 3 or 4 tries to get it to read Brawl), so I decided to go outand buy a cheap used one at Gamestop to see if I could find a slightly later model that doesn't have issues with dual-layered discs. The Wii I received seemed to be some type of model made around in 2010, as the when I was setting it up, 2010 was the default year in the date.

The thing is, I went through setting it up, checked it's Firmware, which I thought said 4.3, went ahead and played with Brawl a little, then decided to install the Homebrew Channel.

After installing it, everything went fine, but today I tried to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I placed the disc in, and I noticed instead of the usual disc channel, it was telling me about a Wii system update. I was confused by this and decided to check to see if I was correct about it running 4.3, and I was. Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to install the update anyway, since I really had no idea if would do anything if I already had the latest firmware.

Strangely, the update was successful, and the Homebrew Channel was still on my Wii. What confuses me is that I thought the Wii updates attempt to remove or block the Homebrew Channel if it dectects it, but here, it was still there and I could launch it with what appears to be no issues. New Super Mario Bros. Wii worked as well, too.

Could somebody explain to me why my new (to me, anyway) Wii ran the 4.3 update, when it was already up to date, and does this have the possibility to affect anything? Also, is there another way to check if my Wii is a slightly later model? I purposely looked for one of the Gamecube compatibile ones and that's what I got, and it is a bit different from my launch date one, such as the LED light turning to red if I power it down instead of the yellow I'm familiar with, and it does also sound a lot better when trying to read Brawl, too (AND the music doesn't suddenly stop playing in the menus before resuming) but I would like to be safe. I had read that you could check the serial number, but are there other ways? I would greatly aprreciate a reply.
Re: Something Weird Happened (Two Stupid Questions)
March 15, 2013 06:16AM
The way Wii updates work, especially disc updates, is the install/update whatever system files are not present. It does not have to do with only the System Menu. You may have System Menu 4.3 but if your Wii is missing an IOS or has an older version, and the game you want to play has the newer version, it will update it for you (not updating the whole System Menu).
The only way the Homebrew Channel would be removed is if you either have an old version of the HBC and update to System Menu 4.3, or if there were a new update to the System Menu (but there isn't, 4.3 is the latest as you know).
I'm not sure of a way to tell how old the Wii really is, however as you stated, the serial numbers usually tell an approximate time. Only a small percentage of the total Wii's that are out now have problems reading the dual layer disc games.
Also on another note, the reason the Power light turns red instead of yellow is because WiiConnect24 is not enabled for stand-by mode. You can turn it on in the Wii Settings and the light will be yellow when you turn the Wii off.
March 15, 2013 09:52AM
Can someone plz help me out? I'm not a total computer noob but i'm stuck. I'm fairly new to modding and have looked at several diiferent tutorials but none have solved my problem or answered my question. I have installed homebrew channel and bootmii on a version 4.3 wii using letter bomb. I get the homebrew channel with the bubbles everyone mentions and I have my SD card setup with the apps folder containing what should be the proper files. My question is, I have several things in that app folder, each item in its own separate folder, but the only thing that ever shows up is the mplayer-ce. I can't get anything else to populate including homebrew browser. Can someone please help me and fill me in on where i'm going wrong?
March 15, 2013 09:31PM
rdnckpyro
Can someone plz help me out? I'm not a total computer noob but i'm stuck. I'm fairly new to modding and have looked at several diiferent tutorials but none have solved my problem or answered my question. I have installed homebrew channel and bootmii on a version 4.3 wii using letter bomb. I get the homebrew channel with the bubbles everyone mentions and I have my SD card setup with the apps folder containing what should be the proper files. My question is, I have several things in that app folder, each item in its own separate folder, but the only thing that ever shows up is the mplayer-ce. I can't get anything else to populate including homebrew browser. Can someone please help me and fill me in on where i'm going wrong?

First of all, make your own thread.
Secondly, the folder for each app should contain the following files
boot.dol/boot.elf
meta.xml (optional)
icon.png (optional)
Chances are that your .dol or .elf is not named correctly, and should be named boot.dol or boot.elf instead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login