Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any risks when installing HBC?

Posted by 410172 
Any risks when installing HBC?
April 10, 2014 07:07PM
Hello forum readers,

I am new here and considering to install the Homebrew Channel. What I need to know: are there any risks that come with installing the Homebrew Channel? I read that it NEVER happened, but I see some topics here in which people say they completely bricked their Wii forever. Could also be the great power HBC gives you, I'm talking about HBC only (Letterbomb installer), not any other app that can be installed with it.

Secondly, I would like a tutorial on how to install this BootMii, as it seems to make you able to recover your Wii when it's bricked. I wanna know everything cause I MUST prevent bricking my Wii, as I don't have the money to buy a new one.

I know I sound worried; but it would be perhaps destroying my Wii if I take any chances. That would be such a waste of money.

That's it. Thanks for any given replies.

p.s. I'm sorry if this is asked you many times before; or if this has been discussed in any other topic.
Re: Any risks when installing HBC?
April 15, 2014 02:21AM
If you follow the right instructions and stay away from the bad stuff you won't brick your wii. By having just HBC, and the apps you will be fine, at one time changing the theme was brick risk but I am not for sure now, I knew nothing about this homebrew couple years back and was able to re-hack mine and put HBC back on it.

Also bootmii will only work on older wiis, if it states can only be installed as IOS then its kinda pointless to have it.

One of the other ones that know alot more and can explain it better should chime in, it may take some time before they do.
April 15, 2014 09:17PM
Okay but I have an older Wii you know, a white one. I think it can even still run Gamecube games (did not try though)... So if it is useful to recover my Wii if it gets bricked; then please tell me how to use. I really am a newbie so no information you give will be useless.
Of course I will stay away from those bad stuff; and changing the menu theme, well, I guess I'm satisfied with the one I have right now. What I actually wanna do with the Homebrew Channel is install Riivolution and CTGP revolution, so that I can run those ossem Mario mods on my Wii (yes, Mario fan here). And I want to install some emulators (SNES9x GX and Wii64), but those aren't part of the bad stuff, are they? Perhaps I will install MPlayerCE so I can watch DVD's on my Wii. That's all.

For now, lets wait and hear what the experts say. :)
Thanks for replying.
April 16, 2014 01:10AM
Well I also have older white wii and I can not run bootmii as boot2 only as IOS, I don't know how old of a wii you would need but once you go to install using the hacmii installer it will tell you if it will install as boot2 or IOS, I don't mess with bootmii since i don't know anything about it.

Riivolution I can't tell you about I don't use it, the emulators are fine I have a couple of them when i want to play the old school games, but I can't tell you how to put the games on there for the emulators its against the rules.

IIRC MplayerCE is outdated there is a newer better media player I don't remember off hand what it is, its been about a year since I even turned on my wii, I have lost the need to mess with it, more so since newer better consoles have been released.

You can go here to get some info on HBC and homebrew games and apps [wiibrew.org]
April 16, 2014 09:29AM
Well let's wait and see then; if will tell when I get there if Bootmii can be installed not as IOS. I bought my Wii even before New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out, so there might be a chance.
I have seen some lists with Homebrew apps just by googling Homebrew apps and I saw a lot of those media players. If MPlayerCE is outdated, I can easily pick another (which hopefully gives me the ability to watch DVD's on my Wii, that's my target).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login