Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merged: BootMii Error -2 / new f01e boot1 / future possibilities

Posted by giantpune 
Merged: BootMii Error -2 / new f01e boot1 / future possibilities
May 14, 2009 02:11AM
Ok, I searched with the search button and didn't find this posted yet. If it is, please delete it.
I tried to install BootMii beta1 and got error -2. The log says BootMii didn't like my Boot1. So I installed the IOS version. Then I tried again, just to be sure it wasn't user error. Here's the log. It is also sent to the email address from hackmii.com in its entirety .
#[33;1mThe test results are in:

#[37;1m Using IOS versions: Installer: 36, Channels: 37

The Homebrew Channel: #[32;1mCan be installed#[37;1m
DVDX: #[32;1mCan be installed#[37;1m
BootMii: #[35;1mCan be installed in one variant
#[37;1m The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)
A BootMii install #[33;1mrequires a SD card#[37;1m.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 01:47PM by bushing.
Re: BootMii Error -2
May 14, 2009 09:10AM
When the Installer says "The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install" this means that you have a newer Wii that has a version of Boot1 that does not have the fakesigning bug.

This means that you can't install BootMii as Boot2 and must install as an IOS. While this doesn't offer the same level of brick protection as installing it as Boot2 it still allows you to backup your NAND and restore your NAND when something non-fatal has happened to your Wii (ie it's not bricked).
Few questions about the new boot1 (f01e)
May 14, 2009 08:42AM
Alright so I discovered both my Wii's are the new boot1 (f01e)

I know this is the beta versions and don't know much of what it is capable of with these Wii's so I am curious if there is going to be some what brick protection for these Wii's in the future releases, and going to load straight to the Bootmii homescreen?

I would also like to know if it is worth going out and buying a GC controller just to make the bootmii screen move side to side and load the options on the menu, since the power and reset botton don't do anything.

last question is:
is there any way to get the bootmii GUI to load right when i turn my wii on.

Thanks for everything. :)
Re: Few questions about the new boot1 (f01e)
May 14, 2009 12:02PM
Hi Nicc,
Allow me to try to anwser your question as best as possible.

As far as I can read from the information on HackMii, it does not look like it will ever be possible to install BootMii-boot2 on Wii's with an updated boot1, as yours is.

What I assume you have then done with the installer, is to install the IOS-version of BootMii, which works in a different way.
Try to read this link if you have not done that before: [hackmii.com]

It is a bit technical, but in essence it will be possible to have some degree of brick protection even without the boot2-version, although obviously not as much. It may also be possible to boot directly to the GUI even without the boot2-version, but I am not certain about that.

As for the GameCube controller - well, you probably won't have much use for it right now since BootMii isn't being used for much yet, especially not the IOS-version, but you'll probably want it later on since Wiimote support for BootMii appears to be a lot of work to create and will likely take a while. And of cours, there are many good GameCube games around you could play with it ;)

(Note: I'm not in any way related to the development of any of this, so if I have misunderstood anything please correct me.)
Chance of a new Boot1 hack?
May 14, 2009 08:12AM
I guess they are close to 0?
Re: Chance of a new Boot1 hack?
May 14, 2009 10:07AM
Write-once value - cannot be changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 02:37PM by alainvey.
Re: Merged: BootMii Error -2 / new f01e boot1 / future possibilities
May 14, 2009 03:16PM
The best way to access BootMii at boot, is to install Preloader, that way you load Preloader at the start, access the HBC and then access BootMii.
May 14, 2009 03:41PM
I have my launch Wii and still get this error and can not install to boot2. I did send my Wii back to nintendo recently though. Is it possible for them to update it? I also backed up my NAND and got 1 bad block, i read its normal to have around 70 or so? (correct me if i'm wrong). Any ideas?
May 14, 2009 03:55PM
Disguises
I also backed up my NAND and got 1 bad block, i read its normal to have around 70 or so? (correct me if i'm wrong). Any ideas?

You misunderstand. There is nothing wrong if you don't have upto 80. Nintendo quality standards obviously specify a nand can leave the factory with upto 80 bad blocks and be guaranteed to be working. Over 80 and in the factory they will replace it as it is below their quality standards.

Having 1 bad block is good. Nand blocks can degrade with use so don't worry if some time in the future you have 2 or more.
May 14, 2009 04:00PM
niko86
You misunderstand. There is nothing wrong if you don't have upto 80. Nintendo quality standards obviously specify a nand can leave the factory with upto 80 bad blocks and be guaranteed to be working. Over 80 and in the factory they will replace it as it is below their quality standards.

Having 1 bad block is good. Nand blocks can degrade with use so don't worry if some time in the future you have 2 or more.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
Stupid Boot1 and Thanks
May 14, 2009 05:45PM
Considering When Attempting to install BootMii It shows a purple message that reads: "Can be installed in one variant" and a message beneath that says: "The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)" I'm gonna assume that there is no work around for this issue at this point. Also considering I'm a moron and went ahead and installed the IOS I have 2 questions... 1.Will it ever be possible to work around an invulnerable boot1? Wii hacking is an awesome concept and one i'm looking into getting into myself, but just from the way it sounds this might be an impassable barrier. 2. Will it hurt my Wii to just leave the IOS installed or do I need to get it out of there and if so, how? I really do wanna thank all of you guys for putting so much hard work into and sharing something that is taking time out of your lives to do. It really speaks a lot of people who use their time, energy, and resources to do what is generally a thankless job just because of the enjoyment of helping out others. I really hope that I can learn enough to gain the skill level needed to help you guys in these endeavors. Thanks and MCL!
Re: Stupid Boot1 and Thanks
May 14, 2009 09:37PM
As far as boot1, no, it will never be possible to work around. As quoted, "boot1, although stored on the NAND, is signed by a value in write-once memory and therefore cannot be changed."

As far as the IOS version, it in no way will hurt your Wii to leave the IOS installed. As time passes and updates come, it will still serve as somewhat of a brick protection, and will still allow different forms of homebrew ran through MINI. :)
May 14, 2009 11:25PM
Hmmmm, bear in mind that I in no way know what I'm talking about but seeing as how it's all software, wouldn't it be possible to cause the wii to boot a file before boot1. just a shot in the dark but the question is bugging me.
May 14, 2009 11:49PM
juggalo4894
Hmmmm, bear in mind that I in no way know what I'm talking about but seeing as how it's all software, wouldn't it be possible to cause the wii to boot a file before boot1. just a shot in the dark but the question is bugging me.

Not at all. When you push the power button, the Wii takes these steps.

Loads boot0<-- Read only, cannot be changed.
Loads boot1<-- One time write, cannot be changed.
Loads boot2<-- Vulnerable, but newer boot1s block the vulnerability.
May 15, 2009 05:55AM
diffikolt
As far as boot1, no, it will never be possible to work around. As quoted, "boot1, although stored on the NAND, is signed by a value in write-once memory and therefore cannot be changed."
It would be work around-able, only if the SHA1-algoritm used for signing were to be proven weak, so that we could create a fake boot2 with the exact same signature as the original boot2 (and now I don't talk about a trucha sig).

This is however extremely unlikely, since SHA1 is by the world, and it's cryptographic communities, concidered a safe and strong algoritm.

juggalo4894
boot1, while being in NAND is verified by a signature burnt into write-once-memory. The same as above apply ...
May 16, 2009 07:38AM
First of all, great job guys!

I´m a little sad because I just tried to install BootMii and I had the -2 error (Well, it´s more to a incompatible problem than a error :). I have a "virgin" Wii with 4.0u and new boot1. :(

I believe that in my case there´s no other ""approved/safe"" way to install HBC and BootMii, right? (I´m a system analyst and I must say that even after read a lot about HBC, IOS, NAND, etc there are some things that are just very complicated, sorry if I`m doing the wrong question in the wrong place)

Thanks in advance,

uNdErLiNe
May 16, 2009 12:31PM
uNdErLiNe
I believe that in my case there´s no other ""approved/safe"" way to install HBC and BootMii, right?

I'm afraid I don't understand. What's wrong with the current installer? (No, there are no approved alternate ways, not for anyone -- and there shouldn't need to be.)
May 17, 2009 11:17AM
I think he means to ask if he still can install BootMii to boot2.

He can't, as you know.
May 17, 2009 04:53PM
I believe my last post wasn´t accepted yet... but I know I can´t install in boot2 unless our good friends break boot2 hash...
my question was regarding another stuff, but i´ll put it in hold... thanks anyway
Any hope in the future for boot2 install on newer wii?
May 29, 2009 04:44AM
I just want to know if there is any chance in future release of Bootmii i will be capable to install bootmii as boot2 on my Wii.

I have a Wii LU62 and bootmii as IOS, just wanna know if i can wait for a future solution or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login