Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you just run the sanity check?

Posted by EnsignR 
Can you just run the sanity check?
May 14, 2009 08:03AM
Firstly, Yay and Thanks for your efforts etc. etc.

What I want to know is, is it possible just to run the sanity checks and not install BootMii?

The reason I ask is I currently have no need to 'risk' the installation, have no GC Controller and don't like the idea of having to use the reset button to toggle my Wii to boot normally.

However I would like to help, albeit in a small way, to get this thing past beta and would like to send in any info that might be gleaned from me running the sanity check. (esp. since I am in .au and wouldn't think there would be a huge number of homebrewers here - if that makes any difference)

cheers and thanks again for all your work.
Re: Can you just run the sanity check?
May 14, 2009 01:41PM
Yes. There are several steps to the process:

1) sanity checks
2) write files to SD
3) install

you can stop after 2 without actually modifying your system (and it will clearly tell you before it does so).
May 15, 2009 07:42AM
Sweet. Thanks.

I've ran it and have an install.log which I will email shortly.

To clarify for others you can press continue after "The test results are in:" and then exit when presented the options of what you can install.

Can I ask why you didn't just ask the user if they would like to send the log in automagically to you rather than have to manually email it?

Also on BootMii.org you recommend that installation be done via the HBC if possible, and that do so is easy. Can I ask why then do you not include meta and icon files file and make it neccessary to rename the binary to boot.elf?

OK time to email that install.log
cheers
May 15, 2009 04:26PM
Im guessing the reason why it doesnt automaticly send the information to the team is because MINI doesn't support the network card yet, it runs very basic drivers atm. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also meta and icon files are not really needed, this is a beta not a polished release. And if you been around the home brew community, its self implied that you rename the elf files to boot.elf. It also makes it easier for us who keep the files on our computer to know which "Boot.elf/Boot.dol" does what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 03:41AM by 4ndy.
May 16, 2009 05:42AM
Yeah the automagically send install.log was based on me reading that the install procedure is done online. What I read was incorrect, it's not online, and thus the point is moot.

As for meta and renaming, I don't know about you, but I haven't manually installed anything for ages and just do it all through HBB. Its a shame about the need for things to be called boot, but that is why for any archiving purposes I just keep the zips for the few apps I have downloaded.

Personally I'd much rather have these things done for me, that way I don't have to worry if I've screwed something up. Particularly when we're talking about making some permanent changes. I'd have felt a lot better about running the app if the description etc was there as well.

peas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login