Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question: Backup/Restore Functionality

Posted by tali3sin 
Question: Backup/Restore Functionality
May 14, 2009 05:44PM
Hey, first off, I (like many others) have been waiting and watching for BootMii to arrive for quite some time... and it's extremely exciting to see it get here :D
Great work by the look of it, thank you.

Now, either I'm just a n00b (this is likely) or the current information available is a bit unclear.
Info on bootmii.org states that (as an IOS) there's a NAND backup/restore feature (awesome) and hackmii tells us that it's in the beta.
Neat.

My question is about this line:

BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD

Is the above quoted feature working in the beta? I'm assuming it's not the same as the IOS NAND feature, because... boot protection is only provided when BootMii is installed as a boot2, correct?

At the moment, every time I change or install something on my softmodded Wii, I go through painstaking research and worry, in order to make damned sure I prevent a brick, so I'm hugely excited about having to worry less about that issue :D

Oh, and I've not downloaded/installed/tested BootMii yet, kind of itching to though :)
Re: Question: Backup/Restore Functionality
May 14, 2009 09:34PM
tali3sin
My question is about this line:

BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD

Is the above quoted feature working in the beta? I'm assuming it's not the same as the IOS NAND feature, because... boot protection is only provided when BootMii is installed as a boot2, correct?

Absolutely, and it is a phenomenal feature.

Give it a go. ;)
May 14, 2009 10:18PM
i, too have a question. since it is about backup/restoring the nand, i'll post it in this thread. i hope thats not a problem.

i installed bootmii into boot2 and tried the backup feature, it told me to insert a sd card which will be formatted. i did that and bootmii said something like "nand.bin will be overwritten - press reset". i then pressed the reset button and it went right back to the menu (where you can choose to backup or restore the nand).

there now is a ~530MB nand.bin file on my sd card. but is this really the nand backup ? since the backup process took only a fraction of a second i doubt that it is.

i read, that backing up the nand takes about 3minutes. am i doing somethin wrong ?

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english
May 14, 2009 10:23PM
shadeless
i, too have a question. since it is about backup/restoring the nand, i'll post it in this thread. i hope thats not a problem.

i installed bootmii into boot2 and tried the backup feature, it told me to insert a sd card which will be formatted. i did that and bootmii said something like "nand.bin will be overwritten - press reset". i then pressed the reset button and it went right back to the menu (where you can choose to backup or restore the nand).

there now is a ~530MB nand.bin file on my sd card. but is this really the nand backup ? since the backup process took only a fraction of a second i doubt that it is.

i read, that backing up the nand takes about 3minutes. am i doing somethin wrong ?

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

It's kind of all relative to a few different things...

1. Speed of SD card.
2. Size of NAND...number of things installed, etc.

However, instantly is probably a stretch.

I would recommend trying it again, allowing the old to be overwritten.

You should get an animated screen with green blocks(You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it...)

Chances are, the file was generated, but the backup failed.
May 14, 2009 10:52PM
thanks for the quick answer.

i deleted nand.bin from the sd card manually and now its working - backing up right now :)

thanks again
May 14, 2009 11:41PM
No problem at all. Glad I could help. :)
May 14, 2009 11:47PM
diffikolt

Absolutely, and it is a phenomenal feature.

Give it a go. ;)

I go out to dinner for a while, come back, and exactly the answer I needed to hear :D

I'll be test driving and hopefully (not?) bug reporting tomorrow :)

Thanks (:
June 21, 2009 12:43AM
My nand has already been backed up. I'm now backing up all my channels and game saves, then possibly going to format my system memory to erase the playstats before sending it in to Nintendo for them to replace my system GPU thats showing light heat damage while its still under a new warranty and before the problem progresses. I'm going to uninstall bootmii and reinstall when I get my system back. With my nand backup and reinstalling bootmii would it restore the playstats and such that were made up to that point when the Nand was backed up?? Does bootmii get that in depth? These are intricate questions I've always had about bootmii/boot2.
June 21, 2009 01:37AM
LeftToSigh
My nand has already been backed up. I'm now backing up all my channels and game saves, then possibly going to format my system memory to erase the playstats before sending it in to Nintendo for them to replace my system GPU thats showing light heat damage while its still under a new warranty and before the problem progresses. I'm going to uninstall bootmii and reinstall when I get my system back. With my nand backup and reinstalling bootmii would it restore the playstats and such that were made up to that point when the Nand was backed up?? .

Wouldn't the replaced GPU change all of your keys, and make your backup incompatible with the repaired Wii?
June 21, 2009 01:39PM
When restoring, BootMii compares the existing NAND with the backup, and changes all blocks which differ. So yes, since the playstats will be different on your new machine, it will restore them. It restores everything. It's like time travel.

You will possibly lose the right to redownload any VC/WiiWare purchased in the meantime, but since you're going to restore when it comes back from Nintendo, that shouldn't be a problem.
June 21, 2009 09:53PM
Sweet. Bootmii is too badass. I semi tested is out this morning from a previous back up. It restored everything up to from when I made the most recent backup and it didn't even show the most recent playstats that I had made after that I did after that particular back up save. Now that's brick protection and protection in general. Should I even uninstall it? I'm now comparing the boot time of it going to the system menu. Only noticeable thing is the fluttering flash when it looks for the SD card to load bootmii then goes to the system menu. Hmmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 12:06AM by LeftToSigh.
June 24, 2009 04:19AM
daniel_c_w
LeftToSigh
My nand has already been backed up. I'm now backing up all my channels and game saves, then possibly going to format my system memory to erase the playstats before sending it in to Nintendo for them to replace my system GPU thats showing light heat damage while its still under a new warranty and before the problem progresses. I'm going to uninstall bootmii and reinstall when I get my system back. With my nand backup and reinstalling bootmii would it restore the playstats and such that were made up to that point when the Nand was backed up?? .

Wouldn't the replaced GPU change all of your keys, and make your backup incompatible with the repaired Wii?

It might, seeing as the ARM core is in the GPU.
June 25, 2009 02:40AM
This is a question about NAND backup, seemed like a good place to put it.

Anyway, when you guys say that when you back up you NAND, it formats the SD card, do you mean the erase everything kind of format?
June 25, 2009 05:18PM
It only formats the SD in beta 1. beta 2 doesn't though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login