Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does the nand backup include boot2?

Posted by knoppix 
Does the nand backup include boot2?
May 15, 2009 01:09AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but I read previously that boot2 was part of some special "protected" area of the nand memory.

I wondered if, when we make a nand backup using bootmii, whether boot2 is included in this?
Re: Does the nand backup include boot2?
May 15, 2009 02:18AM
It shouldn't be.
May 15, 2009 02:21AM
Probably not...if boot2 were somehow corrupted, or written over by Nintendo to prevent the Bootmii hack, Bootmii would not work anymore making the NAND backup useless. Interesting question though.
May 15, 2009 04:06AM
knoppix
Please excuse my ignorance, but I read previously that boot2 was part of some special "protected" area of the nand memory.

I wondered if, when we make a nand backup using bootmii, whether boot2 is included in this?

According to the README, BootMii installs "into 2 blank blocks in the boot2 area of your Wii. It will take over the function of the normal boot2."

So, no. It is not in the NAND.

=)
May 15, 2009 12:51PM
TiMeBoMb

So, no. It is not in the NAND.

It's stored in a special area on the nand. Blocks 1-7 are boot2, Block 1 is boot1 i think.
May 15, 2009 01:10PM
diffikolt
Probably not...if boot2 were somehow corrupted, or written over by Nintendo to prevent the Bootmii hack, Bootmii would not work anymore making the NAND backup useless. Interesting question though.

Yes, this is what I was thinking, but if you could still install the ios version of bootmii then you could restore the nand backup and as they can't fix boot1 with a software update you could then reinstall bootmii in boot2?

I'm hopeful that they wont try to block bootmii in boot2 with an update as they've already fixed this in boot1 in hardware on newer wii's
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login