Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii low-level installaton?

Posted by Juan 
BootMii low-level installaton?
May 15, 2009 02:14PM
According to Wiibrew Wiki, BootMii is comprised by four pieces of software: the Installer, the Loader stub, MINI, and bootmii-ppc.

The BootMii-beta Readme said that the HackMii installer installs BootMii into NAND and creates several files on SD card:
/bootmii
/bootmii/armboot.bin (MINI)
/bootmii/ppcboot.elf (BootMii GUI)
/bootmii/bootmii.ini (configuration file)

So to install BootMii on a low-level-bricked Wii, one needs to copy those files to a SD card and install BootMii into NAND using an Infectus. Right?

Can someone please answer these questions:
1. What need to be installed into Wii's NAND? The Loader stub only, or something else as well?

2. How? I mean, other than make sure that it's the old boot1 on Wii and Infectus and amoxiflash are setup properly, how do you flash the Loader stub into NAND?

3. Will Team Twiizers release a Loader stub file, package or something else for this low-level install situation?
Re: BootMii low-level installaton?
May 16, 2009 12:25PM
Marcan said that "BootMii-Core replaces the boot2 ELF loader with a composite file consisting of our own ELF loader (the “stub”), and the BootMii-Core payload (the “loader”). Our new “boot2? now consists of three parts: Our stub ELF loader, the BootMii-Core ELF, and the original BOOT2 ELF - the former two taking up the spot of the original ELF loader."

So for question 1, it seems that both the Loader stub and the BootMii-core need to be intalled.
But how?
May 16, 2009 12:56PM
There are copyright issues that make it annoying to distribute a raw form of BootMii (since it normally reads boot2 from NAND, patches it, and writes it back out). However, it's pretty easy to install it with a hardware NAND flasher.

boot1 is stored in block 0 of flash (pages 0-0x3f). 2 copies of boot2 (and one copy of BootMii) are stored in blocks 1-7.

So, ideally, take a broken Wii and a donor Wii. Install BootMii on the donor Wii, then do a NAND dump. Take the first 8 blocks of flash (0x21000 * 8 bytes of nand.bin) and write them to the new NAND chip, and solder it into the broken Wii.

Caveats:

1) The version of boot1 must match the original version that was on the broken Wii. If you can, just reuse the chip from the broken Wii without overwriting block 0. Otherwise, you might have to try 2 or 3 different versions of boot1

2) The version number inside boot2 (choices are 2, 3, 4) on the donor wii must be equal to or higher than the one on the broken Wii. If the donor Wii had boot2v2 and the broken Wii had boot2v3, if you flash a BootMii-modified boot2 section (with boot2v2), it will not boot on the broken Wii.

(Technically speaking, BootMii only takes up two blocks in flash -- usually blocks 3 and 4 -- but that can vary and it's probably easier just to do all seven blocks)
May 16, 2009 04:02PM
I want to thank bushing for the answer.
And I know I am only one of many many people who really appreciate what Team Twiizers have accomplished. Thank you!!
May 16, 2009 10:25PM
Did you succeed?
Did you use the Infectus2 or a self-made nand programmer?
May 17, 2009 01:55AM
Hi,
I am relatively new on this unbricking work.
So, not yet, and not any time soon if I do it myself.
But I believe it will work.

What's important is that
bushing's answer will help many people.
After reading bushing's answer,
people who have necessary skills should be able to do it quickly.
May 19, 2009 11:13AM
To bushing,

Shall we request a new feature to hack the version check of boot2?

It was said that boot2 version is stored in SEEPROM for checking to prevent downgrade. Is It done by boot1 or boot2 itself? I guess it should be easy for bootmii to modify SEEPROM.
May 24, 2009 04:37AM
I'm reluctant to change the version in SEEPROM because it's one more thing that can go wrong. What would be the reason to do this? (You can only do it once you have code running, anyway...)
May 24, 2009 06:26PM
bushing
What would be the reason to do this? (You can only do it once you have code running, anyway...)

It's just a suggestion following the discussion regarding the low-level installation.

Don't know if it will help, and don't know the boot2 version check mechanism. But I guess if the version is checked by boot2 itself, then the mentioned donor's boot2 version would be don't care as boot1->bootmii->boot2 (check fail) transforming to boot1->bootmii (tools in menu to downgrade SEEP version number)->boot2 (now OK).
May 26, 2009 03:29PM
no, the check is done inside boot1, sadly. I can show you the code, if you care to see.
May 26, 2009 05:27PM
@bushing:
I'd like to see the code.
June 29, 2009 11:39AM
Hallo Bushing.

thanks for great support / bootmii

I´ve some questions about the boot1/2 versions..

i bricked my korean wii using the waninkoko downgrader.. savemii allready shoes 3.2K.. (region patching was unsuccesful) so there is no korean menue on it.. so i get black screen after "press a" button screen..

now i want to install bootmii to repair the wii, how could i see what boot1 version I have and what boot2 version..
I want to flash the bootmii direktly on the nand via infectus

the homebrew channel 1.01 was already installed before downgrade is it possible to start it via bootmii if patching of boot1/2 is possible ?

Thanks for helping , sorry for bad english..

Greets friiwii
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login