Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Completely confused and slightly embarrased

Posted by danmed 
Completely confused and slightly embarrased
May 23, 2009 02:53PM
Hi Guys,

I've managed to completely confuse myself and no matter how much i read on forums and the like, i still can't figure it out.

I've installed Bootmii using the HackMii installer. It said i couldn't install to Boot2 so i installed as an IOS. Now what.. it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I'm not seeing anything in HBC to launch Bootmii, and whether i have the SD card in the slot or not, i boot to the system menu.

My main questions here are :

a) is there anything to worry about? Can i just ignore what i've done and carry on without worrying i've stuffed something up
b) from what i've read i can't actually see any benefit to having BootMii install as an IOS at this point (no NAND backup)
c) am i being completely dumb?

I'm running 4.0e softmod using bannerbomb btw.
Re: Completely confused and slightly embarrased
May 23, 2009 03:18PM
when you are in HBC press your Home button and you will find the bootmii launcher
May 23, 2009 05:13PM
bhast2
when you are in HBC press your Home button and you will find the bootmii launcher

If you have the 1.02 version of HBC.

danmed, you can still do a NAND backup, so as long as you can boot to the HBC it is still very purposeful.

In addition, you might consider preloader. That way, if you brick your Wii, instead of using the HBC to run Anyregionchanger, you can just load your NAND backup.
May 24, 2009 01:03AM
Cheers guys, i've pressed the home button from within the HBC and there is no BootMii option. this obviously means i'm not running 1.02.

and in fact by checking the more than usually helpful "about" option it shows i'm running 1.01 on IOS36 v4.18

Ok my new N00b question is.. How do I update to 1.0.2?

@diffikolt, thanks for the info.. i'm still completely confused by the whole preloader / bootmii thing and whilst i realise they are 2 different ways of manipulating the Wii.. are you saying i can take a NAND backup with bootmii and if the worst comes the worst (i've been stupid and clicked stuff without reading it), i can recover from the Brick using the Nand backup via preloader?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 02:22AM by Arikado.
May 24, 2009 04:13AM
run the bootmii installer and install HBC 1.0.2
May 24, 2009 10:39AM
Perfect! Thank you!
May 25, 2009 05:34PM
danmed
@diffikolt, thanks for the info.. i'm still completely confused by the whole preloader / bootmii thing and whilst i realise they are 2 different ways of manipulating the Wii.. are you saying i can take a NAND backup with bootmii and if the worst comes the worst (i've been stupid and clicked stuff without reading it), i can recover from the Brick using the Nand backup via preloader?

In case of a brick:

Preloader>HBC>Bootmii>Restore NAND backup.

:)
May 26, 2009 01:14AM
@ danmed :

but don't think you can mess up your wii after having the nand backup and preloader installed. the problem with the IOS version of bootmii is that it requires a sane IOS to run! that means, if you fullbrick your wii and your IOS' are corrupted even preloader won't start the hbc any longer, because (as i said) a sane IOS is absolutely neccessary!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login