Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boot2 and/vs IOS

Posted by ninjafish1990 
Boot2 and/vs IOS
June 12, 2009 12:42AM
Obviously boot2 is the preferred method, but what benefits do having it as an IOS have?
Also can you install both? Has anyone tried that?
Re: Boot2 and/vs IOS
June 12, 2009 08:29PM
Either or not both, sorry. The only benefit with it in the IOS is that you can access it without a full reboot so you can NAND backup from there. I personally installed it in boot2 and just leave the SD card partially out. That way I can still System Menu boot without a GC controller.
June 13, 2009 01:48AM
I installed as boot2 as well, but i was wondering the purpose to install it as IOS, if you cant boot to it it wont save your wii, i guess you could back it up..... or are there other benefits?
June 13, 2009 07:36AM
At least there is a benefit that for new version of Wii such as LU64+, only BootMii can dump NAND without hacked IOS. If sometimes you fully brick you Wii, you still have a chance to use a hardware external NAND programmer to save it.
June 13, 2009 07:52PM
pinball Wizard
Either or not both, sorry. The only benefit with it in the IOS is that you can access it without a full reboot so you can NAND backup from there. I personally installed it in boot2 and just leave the SD card partially out. That way I can still System Menu boot without a GC controller.

You can leave it in and still system boot without a GC controller. The menu is navigated with the power/reset buttons, and default boots up with the Wii menu icon as first choice...meaning you can just press reset on the console as soon as the bootmii screen comes on and go straight to the Wii menu. At least this way you can close your SD door with the SD inside (unless of course you have removed your doors as I have seen so many people do)
June 14, 2009 04:07AM
zektor
pinball Wizard

You can leave it in and still system boot without a GC controller. The menu is navigated with the power/reset buttons, and default boots up with the Wii menu icon as first choice...meaning you can just press reset on the console as soon as the bootmii screen comes on and go straight to the Wii menu. At least this way you can close your SD door with the SD inside (unless of course you have removed your doors as I have seen so many people do)

This is true but others who use the system are not as easily learning ;)
June 14, 2009 06:48PM
Boot 2. One can't save their Wii if they can't get to the system menu to launch the HBC again to undo whatever mad science experiment that went wrong. I foresaw that right away as being the best choice that's why I went for Boot2.
June 15, 2009 05:24AM
LeftToSigh
Boot 2. One can't save their Wii if they can't get to the system menu to launch the HBC again to undo whatever mad science experiment that went wrong. I foresaw that right away as being the best choice that's why I went for Boot2.
We know this, we (or at least I) am/are wondering if there is any point to installing it as an IOS.
June 15, 2009 05:05PM
You can install both, which I find handy. Boot2 comes up on boot, but IOS can be launched from the HBC which I like :-)
June 15, 2009 07:42PM
The purpose of the IOS version of Bootmii is to run homebrew via Mini instead of being dependent of an IOS but since barely anyone can run anything via the SD card menu, it's pretty much worthless atm until Twiizers fixes that bug.

Also, Yes, you can install both. Someone asked this already... Try looking for your answers before posting a question.
June 16, 2009 08:34PM
Boredom
The purpose of the IOS version of Bootmii is to run homebrew via Mini instead of being dependent of an IOS but since barely anyone can run anything via the SD card menu, it's pretty much worthless atm until Twiizers fixes that bug.

Also, Yes, you can install both. Someone asked this already... Try looking for your answers before posting a question.

which "bug" are you referring to? not being able to load anything from sd via bootmii is absolutely normal, since no apps for mini exist atm.and yes, thats why the IOS version of bootmii is pretty much worthless until somebody releases the first mini app ^^
June 18, 2009 02:39PM
Boredom

I do not completely agree with such opinion.
A NAND backup can be considered a good 'restoration point' even in case of BootMii/IOS installation.
An example could be that some channels have some problem to be uninstalled.
Restore a NAND backup on a Wii ( obviously before having bricked it ... ) to uninstall could be a good chance to avoid problems...
June 19, 2009 02:21AM
ninjafish1990
LeftToSigh
We know this, we (or at least I) am/are wondering if there is any point to installing it as an IOS.

IOS is good for easier NAND backups.
June 20, 2009 06:42AM
pinball Wizard
ninjafish1990
LeftToSigh

IOS is good for easier NAND backups.
Are they any quicker?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login