Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is NAND backup file moveable?

Posted by TheManuel 
Is NAND backup file moveable?
June 18, 2009 01:10AM
Wow!. I had not posted in such a long time that I was actually signed out from the forum.
I guess I have spent too much time actually playing the games...

Anyway, if I backup my NAND, can I copy the backup file from my SD card to my PC for storage and then copy it back to any SD card if I need to back up or is the file forever tied to the specific SD card I used to create the backup?

I hope nobody asphyxiates by reading all that in a single breath.

Best regards and kudos to bushing and the rest of Team Twizzers.
Re: Is NAND backup file moveable?
June 18, 2009 06:47PM
Actually, in a related question, I was wondering if it would be possible to not only move the NAND backups but to burn them to CD/DVD via PC and then use the disc for restoring the NAND. I'm not sure if this is possible considering I don't know what hurdles might prevent this from being possible (such as whether or not BootMii has access the DVD drive). However, I think it would be rather cool to have say 8 different NAND backups on a DVD and be able to choose which backup you want to load. It would also free up some people's SD card since there would be no need to always keep the NAND backup on it.
June 18, 2009 07:49PM
I think that there is another ".map" file that you need alongside the nand backup. otherwise you are free to move it
June 20, 2009 03:33AM
Thanks metroid_maniac.
I wonder why the instructions in the BootMii Readme recommend to store the back up in a card and store the card in a safe place when it's probably safer to just keep it in your PC with additional backups to DVD and other storage devices.
June 20, 2009 09:05PM
@metroid_maniac - where have you read about the .map file?
June 21, 2009 11:48PM
I concur with Sephk...I've never seen a .map file on my SD root, I'm almost positive the only file it makes is nand.bin
June 22, 2009 09:14AM
hmm... I'll try wiping my SD and seeing if it pops up
EDIT: nope, it doesn't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 03:51PM by metroid_maniac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login