Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[New Feature Idea] BootMii booting the Wii without "Health and Safety warning"

Posted by jwalk 
[New Feature Idea] BootMii booting the Wii without "Health and Safety warning"
June 20, 2009 04:06AM
I just came up with an idea for a new config option for bootmii in the bootmii.ini file.

Alongside the VIDEO, AUTOBOOT and BOOTDELAY options there could be something like a HEALTHANDSAFETY option which would make it possible to (easily and safely) remove the "Health and Safety warning screen" — booting the Wii directly to the system menu with the channels. Say you could configure it something like this:

HEALTHANDSAFETY=[ON], OFF

Where ON would be default and OFF would remove the "Health and Safety warning screen". Or maybe it could be even easier, just adding another possible value to the AUTOBOOT option, something like AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU_HASOFF (Health And Safety Off).

I don't know if it would be easy, or even possible, to do this. It's just an idea.
Surely preloader is better suited at doing something like this?
@metroid_maniac:

Well, I have to disagree.

Preloader seems a lot more complex than what it would be to just add this simple feature in bootmii, also I don't want to place yet another application "before the system menu", and we shouldn't even talk about how to uninstall preloader.

See, the reason for which I suggested this feature was simply because of this; there should be no need to install anything else — all you'd simply have to do is add a few values to your bootmii.ini file.

Arguing that this feature isn't needed, or suited, for bootmii because there already is an application like preloader would be like saying that there's no need for a Volvo to have wheels because surely a Ferrari is more suited for driving fast? ;-)

However, if the "Health and Safety warning screen" is part of the actual system menu and there is no way for bootmii to force the Wii to skip it, then you're probably right; you'd need an application like preloader in order to do this.
the health and safety is a actual part of the menu (hence healthii the menu patch), just like the "no-copy" part, which was achieved through gecko os and menu loader. it is a simple patch. this would probably be better as it's own "hacks.ini" file, preloader format. maybe for Beta 4, or Beta 5 even, but not Beta 3. too soon. maybe there should be "MENUHACKS" value in the config, pointing to the hacks file.

EDIT: see below

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 08:50PM by metroid_maniac.
the health and safety is a actual part of the menu (hence healthii the menu patch). it is possible to skip it, which was achieved through gecko os and menu loader. it is a simple patch. this would probably be better as it's own "hacks.ini" file, preloader format, rather then inside the bootmii config file itself. maybe for Beta 4, or Beta 5 even, but not Beta 3. too soon. maybe there should be "MENUHACKS" value in the config, pointing to the hacks file. or maybe this is is to complex for TT, and something that might not be god GOOD enough for them to include. in the end, it is TT's decision. I personally would prefer it if it didn't have this functionality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 10:20AM by metroid_maniac.
jwalk
However, if the "Health and Safety warning screen" is part of the actual system menu and there is no way for bootmii to force the Wii to skip it, then you're probably right; you'd need an application like preloader in order to do this.

Exactly.
T o do this (unneded) step, bootmii would have to load the system menu, patch it and then run it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login